2017 Golf 1.8 TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice car, I had a 2003 Passat which remains my all time favorite car. It had the older, completely different, 1.8T and I used either Castrol 5W-40 or the 0W-30 GC. Interesting that they still spec a 5W-40 oil. What the recommended OCI?

Don't listen to all the naysayers, VW makes a good car. I traded the Passat at about 105,000 and it was going strong. Very easy to maintain. As someone else mentioned, an oil extractor can vastly simplify oil changes.

And, yes, they do seem to be very aggressively priced these days. I don't need a new car, but the 2017 Golf Wolfsburg is attractive. Cheers.

passat041509002.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Don't worry about the oil you put in the Golf engine. The rest of the car will fall apart way before the engine does, and in a not so distant future based on my own personal experience.

Ha! Weird how all my VWs have been SOLID.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Don't worry about the oil you put in the Golf engine. The rest of the car will fall apart way before the engine does, and in a not so distant future based on my own personal experience.

You have a funny definition of solid, seeing as how the repair list for your current VW is several miles long.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

You have a funny definition of solid, seeing as how the repair list for your current VW is several miles long.

Well you got me there LOL... I was more speaking towards the "normal" VWs I and my family have owned. The Phaeton is a bit of a special girl, as would a 7er or S-Class.
wink.gif

Well you got me there LOL... I was more speaking towards the "normal" VWs I and my family have owned. The Phaeton is a bit of a special girl, as would a 7er or S-Class.
wink.gif

Ha, it's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

To some, I suppose so. It does just look like a big Passat!
wink.gif
I pity the person that buys it with that frame of mind.

I knew what I was getting into. This new generation of Golf is awesome, makes me want to downsize.

Last edited:

To some, I suppose so. It does just look like a big Passat!
wink.gif
I pity the person that buys it with that frame of mind.

I knew what I was getting into. This new generation of Golf is awesome, makes me want to downsize.
I meant wolf in sheep's clothing since isn't it basically a Bentley with a VW badge on it?

That would be interesting, someone walking through a used car lot and sees a VW Phaeton thinking it's just a nice VW, test drives it, likes it, buys it, not realizing what it is LOL.

Nice wagon! I use M1 0W40 and i change every 5,000 miles. On the 5,000 i do just oil, and when i hit 10,000 i will do the filter. Then 15k just oil, 20k oil and filter. Why? Cause i can, and i tend to drive shorter trips. I also film each change in its entirety in case i have any warranty issues.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
No need to worry about the plastic bits for another several years, if ever.

Castro! 0W-40 would be my choice.

DSG and Haldex services every 40k. OEM fluids only. You won't have any issues with buildup (if you have any at all) until you're near 100k.

Enjoy the car. Where are the photos?

Whoops, forgot the pics! I just put a quick album together, sorry for the production quality

2017 Golf Sportwagen Album

Yea, its probably a totally unfounded fear of the plastic bits. I'm sure they wouldn't use it if they didn't have confidence in it. I've been looking into the DSG service, Doesn't honestly seem terrible at 40k miles. Looks like the kits with the tools and fluid and everything run about $250. Then changes after are cheaper as you only need the fluid and filter. Have you serviced any of the haldex systems? Is that just changing the fluid in the rear diff?

Yeah just the rear differential needs the special Haldex juice.

You can do the DSG service yourself. If you're in it for the long haul, I also recommend a Ross-Tech cable and Vag-Com Diagnostic Software.

Good looking car!

DSG requires DSG juice
The haldex coupling requires haldex juice
the rear differential requires 75w90 gear oil.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Nice wagon! I use M1 0W40 and i change every 5,000 miles. On the 5,000 i do just oil, and when i hit 10,000 i will do the filter. Then 15k just oil, 20k oil and filter. Why? Cause i can, and i tend to drive shorter trips. I also film each change in its entirety in case i have any warranty issues.

How many miles on your wagen so far? Any issues? I'm really thinking about going M1 0w40, mostly for cost. figuring if I change around 5-6k miles it should be OK. I was looking at things like the Castrol OE 5w40, and Motul 5w40 also. But its tough to beat M1 for its price and availability.

I think I'll do the first change at 1k miles... Not sure if it needs it, but if it helps at all keep this thing going a long time to give it a good start in life, im in.

I'm at like 8200 miles is all. There was one issue with secondary water pump that got warrantied out. Its a great ride. Even in the winter i can average 30 mpg. Mine is just a FWD model but its a beast with X-ice 3 tires.

Congrats and GREAT choice! I've got a 2016 5MT GSW with 16k miles.

I read that Audi used to (maybe still does) recommend first OCI at 5k, rest at 10k.

I went with ~5k on the first, following up with two 7500 OCIs, to get me to 20k, then I will go with 10k from then on out to have nice round numbers... 30k, 40k, etc.

I am "spiking" it a bit with using LC20 (which seems to have lost favor here) as that may help (who knows for sure?) with longer OCIs. Also running RLI BioPlus in the fuel. Hoping that the combo might stave off any carbon intake deposits. Still unknown if this is a problem engine or not, though, so I'm just being proactive. Aiming for 150k plus miles, if it stays reliable.

I'm also running M1 0w40 and stocked up when they had the $12 rebates. Cannot find a better VW 502 for the price.

If you run a lot of highway miles, like I do, keep those 15" wheels/tires and look into the underbody aero panels that can be retrofitted. Over 16k miles my mpg AVERAGE is 36.92
laugh.gif

A fan of the GSW 'S' 4M dsg
2 years in at 011,111 miles yesterday;

I searched 2 years ago and wasn't sure what I wanted. It was time though.
Going from a rwd 2+2 sport coupe (in Colorado) to something more practical for my DD was a loose target. My Grandpa daycare activity helping out a day or two each week with 4 of them kiddos and the related ingress egress, begged for something sensible - But still fun ?

A few years earlier, a friend mentioned his consideration of a Jetta Sportwagen and taking notice of the lines, VW / Jetta heritage etc.... I guess it just dropped to the subconscious for a while. Later on and probably by happenstance, I tripped over the discovery realizing Golf was the new Sportwagen. It was kinda sporty in a 'wagen' way and had the enthusiasts love as Golf / 10 Best winner many, many years consecutively. The sometimes moody, elitist tone and other times down-to-earth reviews of all things vehicle by testers and reviewers at Car and Driver only helps me to feel I get some objective points to consider.

I'll be having dealer services as maint needs and waited til 6000 or so miles for the first o/c, Casterol and had a coupon for $39.99. I realize the normal cost / price for full syn LOF is quite a bit more but my old days LOF was 3500 to 5000 miles so cheap insurance with dealer services / stamped book is my peace of mind.

Thus far, the car has done nothing but impress me with ride, handling and fun-factor for what some may consider a sleeper looking box.
Colorado roads, elevations and weary winter roads/sketchy surfaces have proven capability so I'm calling it a Win. Knowing enough about what you want, need and expect then hitting it on the head is a good thing.

*No way did I set out to get a "new" vehicle but happening on the 'S' that I preferred over the aesthetics of an Alltrack, getting an outgoing '17 and all done at $20 and change was something of a happy accident.

~ b

Last edited:
Nice car, I owned a 2012 Sportwagen a few years back, loved it. Castrol 0w-40 will be fine. I'd say you're either going to love or hate VW as a brand, they can be different to maintain and not everyone works on them. Strong forum presence though so there are tutorials on just about anything you could want.

I have a 2013 Golf TDI with the DSG. Has almost 90K on it now, no major issues yet. Oil changes every 10K, DSG drain and fill/filter change every 40K, Diesel filter every 20-30K. VW's like to be maintained on time with the correct fluids.

VW's do seem to have little issues that need fixing as they age, they're not a Toyota. But I like them more than any other brand I've owned. They feel more solid and overall nicer than other brands I've owned including small details like every button in the cabin being back lit, the pillars being a fabric type material instead of plastic etc. Its small stuff that adds up.

Anyways, enjoy. If I was going to replace my Golf, it would be a AllTrack!

Last edited:
Congrats on the ride. I used a 504/507 oil in my Alltrack, on the hopes that it may slow the intake valve deposits. It worked great. I posted the UOA's on here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...w1-8t-ea888-alltrack-5011-miles-apr-tune

Prior to the tune, I had almost no fuel dilution. For the last change I used Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. It's cheap and readily available, though technically it no longer meets the spec. Personally, I'd stick with a 504/507 rated oil (or BMW LL-04 rated).

I used Castrol Syntrax LL for the front bevel gear and rear differential: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/CA-95...O1zcUqADnUt_UczKRoTW_66zBdoaAow8EALw_wcB

I'd recommend changing out the rear fluid once, and the front every 30-40K. The Hadlex fluid has "3 year/no mileage" recommendation. I'm doing every 20K. All three units have drain and fill plugs, so servicing is easy. Just make sure you don't confuse the Haldex unit and rear differential, or you'll break something, and make sure the car is level when you add the fluids. Ravenol makes a Haldex fluid, which I'm going to try next time on my R.

The 4Motion Sportwagen is one of the best deals out there, and there certainly aren't a lot of reports of problems with the MK7 wagons besides the pano roof (which you obviously don't have).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back