750 hour engine oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching some YouTube videos with my boy and saw a promo one from John Deere for 750 hour oil change intervals on some of their 6r tractors. I knew they had already said 500 hours was OK with their synthetic engine oil but wow is 750 a long time. Their synthetic oil is on the pricey side but with that long of intervals it wouldn't be bad.

That would be over 26,000 miles with an average speed of 35 mph. That certainly could be a realistic average speed for some of us. That seems way to long a recommendation for a passenger car. I don't know much about tractors so I won't comment.

At Cummins we assumed an average speed of 45 mph for heavy duty trucks, so that would be a 33,750 mile oil change. I've heard of truckers going farther, so that doesn't sound unreasonable for engines that have sump volumes measured in gallons.

My son has a Cat backhoe. He is not a BITOGer and does not think about changing his oil very often, even though I say something about it a lot. The backhoe is supposed to be changed at 500 hours and dino or synthetic can be used. Many times he has gone 650 to 750 hours before changing with 5-40 Shell Rotella will no ill effects that we know about. The hoe has about 6,500 hours on it and is a 2007.

The other thing is that the Cat backhoe only has an 8 quart capacity while his other Cat and John Deere equipment has 12 to 16 quarts. The backhoe does have a huge oil filter at least twice as large as the largest auto filter.

He has a new Cat backhoe on order, do in this month.

Mercedes recommends 1200 hr oil change for my vehicle (42Kmi at average speed 35mph), an 05 Unimog U500 with no EGR but with centrifuge. It has a MB OM906LA. 29.6L sump. plus it uses 1L/2500mi which freshens the oil. But only with MB228.5 synthetic oil (I use Delvac 1 SHC 5W40).

Charlie

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
At Cummins we assumed an average speed of 45 mph for heavy duty trucks, so that would be a 33,750 mile oil change. I've heard of truckers going farther, so that doesn't sound unreasonable for engines that have sump volumes measured in gallons.

Funny thing about that is now Deere is using Cummins engines on it two largest horsepower tractors and they are rated for 400 hour oil changes with Deere synthetic oil unless you are using ultra low sulpher fuel.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Huge oil capacity, bypass filtration, no short tripping.

The don't have bypass filters on them and they are down to only one oil filter and it is smaller than it used to be.

I think you will find that 3054 Cat engine will call for a 250 hour oil change interval. That's what our 1998 416c calls for.I use a Baldwin BT 216 filter and 7qt. of Kendall 15w40. Is the 500 hr interval for synthetic oil?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back