STP syn oil for BMW E46?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to pick up some oil after work today, looking through the oil change specials came across STP syn. Saw some limited info that looks like it might be LL-01, but really can't find anything detailed about it.

There's no indication I can see that any of the STP oils carry Longlife-01 certification. If they do, then the company does a very good job of hiding it.

In fact I don't see where their synthetic oils carry anything other than GF-5 and SN.

Yeah, that's a solid pass. Why look further than Castrol 0W-40, which is simultaneously one of the best AND most inexpensive oils you can buy?

Go to Advance Auto Parts and ask them to give you CarQuest 5w40 oil. 5 single quarts. Then grab a red purolator oil filter of your choice, and go to the counter to pay $23.xx for an oil filter and LL-01 oil, which is just a rebranded Wolf Head oil, AKA Amalie Oil. Good stuff. Running it now, will post a UOA on next OCI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Go to Advance Auto Parts and ask them to give you CarQuest 5w40 oil. 5 single quarts.

FYI, the OP's engine requires 7 quarts.

Does the Carquest 5W-40 oil actually carry Longlife-01 certification? A while back I looked at the container and it was "meets or exceeds", and I never was able to find a PDS anywhere online.

Originally Posted By: Donald
STP (Studebaker Testing Products) would be near the bottom of my list, but above any oil sold at a dollar store.

What about Shell Rotella T6

Doesn't meet specs, and doesn't save you money. Why bother?

STP and CQ Syn both have the AOC Amalie stamp on the bottom of the bottle. I am thinking they are both the same oil but the STP bottles are shaped different from the CQ, Wolf's Head and Amalie Elixir bottles. I tried checking the Amalie web site for more info but keep getting a server error response. When the site is back up I hope to find more info or send them an email. I changed the oil in my Civic this past weekend with CQ Syn 0W20. I have only driven a couple of miles since then to take my used oil back to AAP but it did run very smooth and quiet. I will run it for 5K due to my extended warranty requirements.

I did find some info on Wolf's Head here:

http://www.wolfshead.com/synthetics.html

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
STP (Studebaker Testing Products) would be near the bottom of my list, but above any oil sold at a dollar store.

The warranty is long gone on it. HDEOs have proven themselves for many years to perform very well in applications where they "don't meet specs". (import, domestic and european)

The only thing "wrong" with Rotella 5w40 is the NOACK.

Originally Posted By: xshoex
Im running cq 5w40 for the past 11 months/6k miles. Yes it has ll-01.

Where does it say that though? It didn't on the container I looked at, and I couldn't find a PDS. Where does it claim to carry the specification?

What I saw was a huge list of "meets or exceeds" claims, and when I loooked at the manufacturer's approved oil lists for those specs the oil doesn't appear on the list. That leads me to believe that it actually carries none of the specifications.

May not meet specs, but T6 is a [censored] fine oil and will certainly surpass LL-01 win wear tests.

Stay away from a GF-5 oil. Far too thin for your M54 engine. If you don't want to shell out the $ for a proper LL-01 oil, something like Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck will work.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
If you don't want to shell out the $ for a proper LL-01 oil, something like Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck will work.

Castrol 0w-40 is cheaper than Rotella T6 at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you don't want to shell out the $ for a proper LL-01 oil, something like Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck will work.

I brought this up already and was told that Rotella T6 would "certainly" surpass LL01 in wear protection.
21.gif

Oh, and that it often performs "just fine" in applications it wasn't designed for.
21.gif
21.gif

Why do manufacturers even bother developing oil specifications? Apparently they're all arbitrary!
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup, and both are cheaper than M1 TDT.

I brought this up already and was told that Rotella T6 would "certainly" surpass LL01 in wear protection.
21.gif

Making up stuff is a staple at BITOG these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back