Pennzoil Platinun/QS syn or Valvoline syn 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Just wanted to hear your feedback and opinions on it. All in 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker state Ultimate duribility, or Valvoline syn power I have a 2011 Mustang GT (5.0). Was on the motorcraft snyn blend until last oil change and had got Castrol Edge (black bottle before titanium) put in. Like using full syn. The car is my daily. I drive a mixture of sometimes caught in stop and go Cali traffic to just freeway to short gas station trips I will be commuting more for school coming up and wanted to make sure I choose a good syn ( I know that they all meet or "exceed " the specs for my car by Ford ). Just wanted to get feedback from actual users of the products and not the standard consumer adds. Thanks for the time and help

PP has treated me well and I will continue to use it until proven different. Used to be a avid M1 user, but like the way PP runs in my engine, smoother, quieter...

I'm a bit skeptical about Valv's synthetic oils, always loved their conventional oil, but it's just me probably, they're the youngest synthetic on the market so I have to warm up to them yet.

QSUD sand do the rebate in section here at BITOG
smile.gif

I run M1, runs real solid, I understand the -1.5% fuel consumption and I'm O.K. with it.

Pennzoil Platinum. I've been running it in the 07 V6 Mustang forever. I've tried Synpower,M1,Edge,and PP. PP has been the smoothest running.

All things being equal, there are no bad choices there. You could run them all one OCI and see if any of them provide better UOA's, but they will all do well. What I would do is run each through one OCI and choose the one that gives the best MPG's in your particular engine with your specific driving style and go with that one. If they all do equally well there, go with the least expensive one of the three.

Originally Posted By: ejes
All things being equal, there are no bad choices there. You could run them all one OCI and see if any of them provide better UOA's, but they will all do well. What I would do is run each through one OCI and choose the one that gives the best MPG's in your particular engine with your specific driving style and go with that one. If they all do equally well there, go with the least expensive one of the three.

That's a good plan too

... What I would do is run each through one OCI and choose the one that gives the best MPG's in your particular engine with your specific driving style and go with that one. ...
In practical use, you won't be able to control the variables well enough to make any meaningful conclusion from that experiment.

All those candidates are probably OK.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... What I would do is run each through one OCI and choose the one that gives the best MPG's in your particular engine with your specific driving style and go with that one. ...
In practical use, you won't be able to control the variables well enough to make any meaningful conclusion from that experiment.

All those candidates are probably OK.

That's why I said: "If they all do equally well there, go with the least expensive one of the three."

Originally Posted By: Fearless
OK good. I appreciate the help. I liked the looks of the additive package from Pennzoil.

Pennz Platinum is all I use in my vehicles.
cheers3.gif

These three oils each bring unique attributes to the table.
Take a look at VOAs/UOAs of them.
Some think that Valvoline oil provide for a cleaner engine including one member who actually tears down engines for a living. I've used various Valvoline oils including Synpower, VR1 and Maxlife SB, and the red bottle Maxlife would be my pick among them.
OTOH, I've used both of the SOPUS products and had a nice 7K UOA with PP. PP was my go-to oil for a number of years, although I'm now leaning in other directions.
Open up your mind to M1 and Castrol as well.
One of the things you'll learn here is that there are many good oils available.
When you find something known to be good at a good price even with MIR, feel free to load up.

No MIRs for some of us here. Just too much of a hassle.

All the brands will protect your engine. What really matters is how you drive and how often you change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back