Looking to buy used around $15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has come to the point where practicality, ergonomics, footprint and space are coming to a head and the coupe Civic doesn't fit all of those. It has also become apparent to her this winter that the Civic doesn't handle the snow like the old 2011 GM W-body Impala she used to have.

With that said, we're looking into getting rid of that vehicle for something else. Would like to buy used and stay around (or under of course) $15k.

Here is what we're looking for:
- 4 door sedan or smaller SUV
- At least a midsize if sedan
- Reliable drive trains

Some of the vehicles that we've been discussing are the 2013+ Impala with the 2.5/6-speed, late model CRVs, Acura RDX, Acura MDX and a 9th generation Accord Sedan with K24/CVT. Not really looking for any hybrids, boosted small displacement, or auto start/stop cars.

The Impala is interesting, such a large car with a 4cyl, but it is ~190hp. That would be more than sufficient for her... she's a conservative driver. I have very little experience with this drivetrain combo. Is GMs 2.5 a good runner? We can live with a little noisy, as long as its reliable. I'm assuming the trans is a 6T6x variant.

The CRV may be her first choice, 4WD and an SUV. Typical Honda, K24, 5-speed AT. I also like this vehicle choice but they're so [censored] expensive for what you get.

The Accord may just be the right choice. K24, decent footprint, good amount of room. Decent cars in snow with good tires. CVTs in these cars don't scare me. The CVT in our Civic has been good. Accord guys say these are good as well.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.

PS. Still keeping the 09 K24/5MT on trucking. 116k and counting. Redline is fun.

Last edited:
If your considering the Impala, I'd also look at the 2010+ Taurus. Lots of content for the price and they seem fairly stout in comparison to the previous generation Impala.

If you want to be especially generous you could upgrade her to a nice, used SHO in that price range as well
19.gif

I never thought the Taurus. I kept thinking about the Fusion but kept telling myself no. Thanks.

Fusion is a nice ride. V6 is quick for you, but turns in good mileage if driven conservatively. Taurus is a wee bit bigger.

Last Impala I drove was nice and comfy, but no mileage champ. But if it's a lot of short tripping and work commute, that would be OK...

Yeah, the Taurus is often forgotten.
Which is why it's a great buy!
Dealers are usually willing to move them at steeper discounts than the Fusion since it hasn't been restyled for a while.

Id get one, but I dont' have the garage space
frown.gif

A very nice used Fusion can easily be had for $15k. Probably has the same interior room as a Taurus, better mileage, no pesky start/stop feature that I'm aware of. The 2.0 ecoboost has plenty of zip.

Nothing wrong with an Accord or Camry.

You could also get a late-model Matrix (they made them through 2014 or 15). That would be a good small SUV.

The CRV is good. Maybe you could get a CPO HRV within your budget.

What about the Hyundai Tucson they are nice and reliable and if you get a certified one you still have the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain and 5 years 60,000 on the basic warranty. You really can't beat that.

2014 Nissan Rogue MADE IN JAPAN by NISSAN. 2.5L "Altima" engine 175HP. I haven't killed the trans so it cant be bad. Get em all day for $13-14k. 1 year old low miles. A budget infinity. Main drawback, modest rear seat space and poor gas mileage (around 23-26). CVT is fine if you keep good gas in the High performance DOHC SUB engine with no variable intake geo. Run a good syn and the Honda pcx 004 filter and your good to go no problems.

My aunt had me help her look for cars the last couple months. She tried the Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai Tucson, Honda Accord, and Toyota Avalon. She got the Avalon, but the Sonata was next in line.

The Sonata is sooo comfortable, I loved those seats. Sonata Sport seats were better than the Accord EX-L. The Sonata also has loads of headroom where an Accord with a sunroof, nope. The Sonata was well put together, had nice materials inside, and the radio and other features were easy to use.

Here's a 2015 Sonata Sport, certified used.

Link

These are some really good suggestions. A lot of makes and models I simply didn't think about. I guess its about time these days to get rid of the negative perception towards Hyundai and Kia? eh?

Redhat, why not just get a nice set of snow tires for the Civic? Or a set of steel wheels with snow tires so you can swap them yourself and save the $120-180/yr associated with swapping summer/winter tires? They really do make a huge difference. My 2016 Forester is actually horrible in the snow with the factory Yokahamas on it, so even if you do go AWD, they're no better than FWD with the factory tires that will come on it.

We actually do have a set of 15" 5 lug steelies and 195/65/15 GTRadial Champiro IcePros on the car. It gets good traction in the crummy white stuff, but where we're finding a defecit in the winter time months is ground clearance and weight. She being used to a W-body Impala ~3,500lbs and my Accord probably close to that, the Civic can fall victim to uneasy road conditions a lot easier. I think the weight on the registration is 2,800lbs?

I do however thank you for that suggestion as I would and do feel the same way. The new ride will get dedicated rims and winter tires.

Besides the winter time weather factor, she'd like a larger trunk for groceries, picking up and moving supplies/things for work, being able to have more than 1 passenger in the car.

Just my opinion but i hate the $15k used price point. Its so close to brand new to take risks on a possibly abused car. I like to spend half that or less for used or go straight to brand new. Your market may vary but it seems people sell used stuff for almost what a new car can be haggled down to. Value that warranty, subverted financing from the car company, the proper care from day one, the smell, and its usually worth it to come up with a bit more cash.

I paid 15.5k for a 2011 Mercedes E-350 with 96k last year. Great ride. Has most options too, maybe a little more with a bit less miles, but they don't really value the options that it has. Most problems with it are more cosmetic than mechanical.

I don't see anything wrong with 15k. You can get fully loaded models with remaining warranty for cheaper than you'd pay for new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back