Titan xd cummins oil specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
•the titan xd cummins says this.

Engine oil with API Certification Mark, Viscosity SAE
10W-30 (CES 20081) and American Petroleum Institute
(API) certification (API CJ-4, Low Ash Oil).
• Diesel engine oil Specification (Cold Climate)
- 5W-40 oil that meets API Certification Mark (CES
20081) and American Petroleum Institute (API) certifica-
tion (API CJ-4, Low Ash Oil) is acceptable for colder climates.

But in the maual 10w-30 is for all climates
Down to -9F but says 5w-40 goes from -40 up to 69F. Why would 40 stop at just that temp. Is it the recommend that so people would use 10w-30 instead. I would think if 5w-40 is good for cold climates it should hold up just as good in hot climates.

Last edited:
I read the oil section of the Titan XD's owners manual and found the oil requirements odd as well. For example, Ford calls for 5W40 for severe service (towing, etc) and 10W30 for regular service with respect to the 6.7 Powerstroke.

Last edited:
So basically it says you don't have to spend extra money on oil for superior engine protection and everyone finds this odd because???

Our society has been made to believe that if something cost more money its better and here is clearly a case of less is preferred. The spec clearly states that 10w-30 is preferred, which is good from an owners prospective, less money for maintaining over the life of ownership.

As perspective, All heavy commercial diesels up to 15L (yes, the entire Cummins lineup) are all being factory filled with 10w30 and that is the recommendation... from running in Canada down thru Mexico, from cold climate thru Mojave Desert in the summertime. And those truck engines moving up to 80,000 lb of truck and cargo.I use 10w30 even in a legacy Detroit 60 12.7L and find it performs equally with any of the 40w stuff. The HDEO 10w30's are some very stout products. I am especially fond of Schaeffer and Mobil Delvac in this grade, both syn blends and very cost effective compared to conventionals. I would just use a 10w30 HDEO CJ-4 or the new CK-4 year round with confidence. I run it from below -20F on up and beyond 100F and it does a good job.

The manual will soon be out of date. CK-4 oils are supplanting CJ-4 slowly. I just did an oil change on my Detroit and had Delvac Extreme 10w30 CK-4 put in. Will run a sample at 22,500 like normal and see how it does. Paid $15 a gallon for it. That is a very good price for a new CK-4 10w30 syn blend. The motor is a factory reman with 641,000 miles on the reman. Only uses about 2 qt of oil in 22,500 miles. So a 10w30 is quite adequate for all but the most extreme of situations. Guy I know has a Cummins ISX that he has run 10w30 in it since new. Now has about 300,000 miles on it and it is doing just fine.

The manual stating that 10w-30 is good for all conditions is not the strange part. The part where it does not recommend 5w-40 past 69F is what is strange.

STarting to wonder if this isn't the Chrysler/EcoDiesel situation in the making.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
So basically it says you don't have to spend extra money on oil for superior engine protection and everyone finds this odd because???

Well, maybe, but it is odd, like DoubleWasp mentioned. If a 10w-30 HDEO is good at high temperatures, so will a 5w-40 HDEO. Are they using a 20 year old SAE J300 or something?

FCA went the other way, forbidding a 30 wt. and mandating a 40 wt.

Was that on the Cummins power plants in their pickups? They don't make the engines, so not sure that they have much standing to determine what oil should be run in them. Cummins has been on the 10w30 bandwagon for a while now.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
FCA went the other way, forbidding a 30 wt. and mandating a 40 wt.

Was that on the Cummins power plants in their pickups? They don't make the engines, so not sure that they have much standing to determine what oil should be run in them. Cummins has been on the 10w30 bandwagon for a while now.

1/2 ton & Jeep 3.0 diesel that they import has been spinning crank bearings so FCA went up a grade to 40 wt.

I thought I read somewhere it was an aggressive transmission programming issue? I guess they figured a 40 wt would help in the meantime?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I thought I read somewhere it was an aggressive transmission programming issue? I guess they figured a 40 wt would help in the meantime?
The transmission shift map was causing too-fast upshifts, engine lugging, causing bearing failures (believe mostly rod bearings, but a few mains as well). FCA has a TSB (recall?) to reflash the PCM & use 5W40 CJ-4/CK-4 oil instead of the originally recommended 5W30 low ash Euro oil. Personally I wouldn't touch an Ecodiesel without a manual transmission anyway, Dodge/Ram's new diesel automatic transmissions seem to have serious problems the first few years they're built anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back