Virgin Super Tech ST4967 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Wally World today and picked up a $2.xx Super Tech filter to cut open. What does everyone think? I bought a FRAM ultra for the GF's matrix but they had only one so I bought a second one of these Super Tech filters hoping they are decent enough to run on my MR2. Both cars see short OCI's and will be on Valvoline MaxLife Red bottle 5w30.

Looks very good. I'm running a FL-400S on the Camry for 4-5k then using the two ST 4386 I got while back

Use that filter with confidence
smile.gif

That combo valve is the deal breaker for me. I will no longer use any Wix/Napa/ST filter that has that piece of junk. They will cause such a bad start up noise. Otherwise never had any problem with those filters.

Originally Posted By: Run
That combo valve is the deal breaker for me. I will no longer use any Wix/Napa/ST filter that has that piece of junk. They will cause such a bad start up noise. Otherwise never had any problem with those filters.

Do other Wix filters have this combo valve, or just the low end Wix made filter ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Run

Do other Wix filters have this combo valve, or just the low end Wix made filter ?

Mostly their low end stuff. Most regular WIX/NAPA Gold have either a regular (not combo style) base end or dome end bypass valve.

use one of those with confidence

My only complaint would be that the filter media seems to be short and therefore not much media

Combo valve takes up too much space, & is a known failure point (usually ADBV function failure)-if you use one, keep the OCI short, I wouldn't go past 5K on one.

Im using a st3600 on my taurus and i get no start up noise. Seems decent for what i paid the Penz HM.

Last edited:
I have used ST's for the last two changes. I can't complain at all about them and never had a problem with the "combo valve". Great value. Same as the Wix made Napa Pro Select.

Last edited:
For a 3-5k conventional oil oci/fci, I'd have no problem running either the ST9688(7317) or the ST3614 in the two applications I use. Both have separate dome bypass. Almost picked up a ST3387 recently, but local Napa store much closer so chose the Silver 31040 for 75 cents more. No filter bypass to consider.

All that said, I get the 7356 and 1348 for $3.65-3.90 on the twice yearly Gold sale so those are currently my filter of choice.

What about going 15k on a Fram TG? Time wise it will be less than year. The Ultras seem to easily handle 20k miles so wondering about the TG since that's what I'm running right now. Plus for this oci I'm going 8500 miles. So to be more precise it would be 13,500 on the filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Im using a st3600 on my taurus and i get no start up noise. Seems decent for what i paid the Penz HM.

The ST3600 uses a regular type ADV, not the combo valve.

I also am not crazy about the combo valve that Wix uses, nor the media.
I found it was too brittle and tore easily with my fingers even after only a few hundred miles. Not scientific date, but 2 Wix made ST filters with easy miles tore easily, did not give me a good feeling.

I used to really recommend them, but after this, not so much. I am glad they are switching to Champ made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back