Valvoline Maxlife Transmission fluid spec -UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Maxlife Tranmission fluid spec sheet has been updated as of 01/12/2017

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Biggest thing that stands out is in CA you can't say your fluid works if the viscometrics are different from the OE fluid. Seems to be only for the older Mercon fluids. What that means is the Maxlife is a lower viscosity when new compared to the older spec Mercon. But older Mercron, and even Dex3, would shear down pretty quick. Maxlife is a Syn fluid and does not have the shear issues so they can use a thinner fluid. But that is against the law in CA.

So maxlife will work fine, nothing to get alarmed about.

The other things I see are more Mopar, GM Autotrak II, and Miscellaneous OEM specs listed. I don't remember them all from before.
So seems it has been getting more test and the spec sheet is being updated.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4299685/Re:_Brief_History_of_ATFs#Post4299685

All of that milarky was hashed out years ago in 2012 and 2013:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/ATFdecember2012/valvolinemaxATF.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/MaxLife ATF - Response 2-22-13.pdf

https://pqiablog.com/2013/02/28/more-on-maxlife-atf/

Quote:
Valvoline has since contacted PQIA and provided a valid technical explanation as to why MAXLIFE ATF would provide acceptable performance in Mercon® applications.

Last edited:
^

I agree but seems there is a law in CA so they had to add that line to the sheet. I knew about the PQIA testing but not the CA law and addition to the spec sheet because of it.

Yep.

Valvoline had to bow to the politically correct and big brother bureaucracy Statue in CA. in order to sell it there.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
And it was updated December 20,2016 also (posted by someone else). It is always being updated, and is still a fine fluid for many vehicles.

California just wants to be different.

But that law was passed not due to Valvoline but others that say X meets spec but does not. This was passed to catch those that market junk oils as good. So I have no problem with this law or Valvoline's answer. I have used hundreds of gallons of Maxlife trans fluid and still recommend it.

Just now finished a d&f on V6 Accord 3.0L specing Z1. Ditto to MolaKule post. Synthetic fluid greater shear stability than mineral based ATFs, and covered during pqia advisory.

Doesn't hurt that it's a great value too.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Yep.

Valvoline had to bow to the politically correct and big brother bureaucracy Statue in CA. in order to sell it there.
Hacks with degrees in Art History who happen to be someone's nephew.

Dunno. I talked to some trans builders and they swear by VVML ATF. Every Valvoline instant oil center uses that product, and you may be still under warranty. I called Ford 800#, guess I got lucky, spoke to a guy in customer service who said he worked with their trans engineers, and was on a dealer hotline. Normally customer service will tell you to go the dealer for advice, but he seemed to be very knowledgeable and was just stating what Ford recommends.

He put it like this, if the low viscosity fluid that don't sheer was a good idea, Ford would have obsoleted MV and replaced it with LV. LV is a full synthetic fluid, similar to maxlife. He said they thoroughly tested Older trans going back to the early 80s (both in service with many miles and rebuilt) and that is their conclusion. MV was specifically and custom engineered for those products. He said he is not an expert in the specifics but they care about things like shift times in milliseconds and different fluids affect that.

His opinion for Mercon speced transmissions is to use current Mercon V, preferably Motorcraft brand because quality is extremely monitored for warranty reasons(well of course, Mcdonalds would tell you to eat 3 meals a day at their restaurants). He isn't allowed to say who manufactures it, but there are no compromises. He said the Ford MV will keep its high viscosity to 30k miles under daily driving. Ford does not suggest any other fluids even for the most severe service, but rather a more frequent OCI.

LV is actually more a CAFE thing to reduce drag, and the transmissions are designed for it.

He also said he gets calls about warranty issues from people who use unlicensed fluids, and it isn't always clear why the failure happened or even if it was fluid related but sometimes you may have to get the fluid manufacturer involved. He said your trans will not likely be harmed by ML, but understand the reasoning.

CAUTION:
The fluids listed to the right are unique fluids and MUST be used in applications recommending that
particular fluid. Use of any other fluid *may* cause reduced functionality or transmission damage.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/atf.pdf
In other words "sorry sir, your warranty is denied."

So if you trust Valvoline you are all set.

So it seems like a generic/brand name drug debate or a coke/pepsi/sams choice issue.

Last edited:
Good thread. Some excellent links by Molakule and Ford46guy I had not seen before. Both my transmissions call for either DEX III or the Mercon V. So this topic concerns both my older vehicles.

I've looked at some used Transmission oil analysis and while the DEX III / Mercon / Mercon V shear down, the issue is how fast. The MV ATF's start off in the 7.2-7.6 cSt range and probably stay there for 1-3 years at daily driver usage. While that oil is shearing down, it stays above the 5.9 cSt viscosity of the MaxLife for quite a while. I'd rather have the higher viscosity as specced for as long as I can. So I guess I agree with the Ford engineers to change it when it shears too far. And if you want to maintain viscosity near 7 during the fluid change period, you can use a synthetic MV ATF like M1 ATF, Redline D4, Amsoil ATF or ATD, and others. I recall one thread on Dex III ATF that was used in a C5/C6 Corvette Manual T56 transmission...it sheared down to around 5.5-5.8 after 8,000 miles. Considering I change mine in half the interval, it's fine.

SuperTech Mercon V works for me. I just wish it had the add package of the Max Life which is similar to the RL, Amsoil, and M1 ATFs.

This is not meant to criticize Valvoline, but has anyone seen any proof of their statement that other ATFs shear more than Maxlife? I am familiar with many ATF formulas and I have not seen where Valvoline VII is any more shear stable than other majors.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Dunno. I talked to some trans builders and they swear by VVML ATF. Every Valvoline instant oil center uses that product, and you may be still under warranty. I called Ford 800#, guess I got lucky, spoke to a guy in customer service who said he worked with their trans engineers, and was on a dealer hotline. Normally customer service will tell you to go the dealer for advice, but he seemed to be very knowledgeable and was just stating what Ford recommends.

He put it like this, if the low viscosity fluid that don't sheer was a good idea, Ford would have obsoleted MV and replaced it with LV. LV is a full synthetic fluid, similar to maxlife. He said they thoroughly tested Older trans going back to the early 80s (both in service with many miles and rebuilt) and that is their conclusion. MV was specifically and custom engineered for those products. He said he is not an expert in the specifics but they care about things like shift times in milliseconds and different fluids affect that.

His opinion for Mercon speced transmissions is to use current Mercon V, preferably Motorcraft brand because quality is extremely monitored for warranty reasons(well of course, Mcdonalds would tell you to eat 3 meals a day at their restaurants). He isn't allowed to say who manufactures it, but there are no compromises. He said the Ford MV will keep its high viscosity to 30k miles under daily driving. Ford does not suggest any other fluids even for the most severe service, but rather a more frequent OCI.

LV is actually more a CAFE thing to reduce drag, and the transmissions are designed for it.

He also said he gets calls about warranty issues from people who use unlicensed fluids, and it isn't always clear why the failure happened or even if it was fluid related but sometimes you may have to get the fluid manufacturer involved. He said your trans will not likely be harmed by ML, but understand the reasoning.

CAUTION:
The fluids listed to the right are unique fluids and MUST be used in applications recommending that
particular fluid. Use of any other fluid *may* cause reduced functionality or transmission damage.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/atf.pdf
In other words "sorry sir, your warranty is denied."

So if you trust Valvoline you are all set.

So it seems like a generic/brand name drug debate or a coke/pepsi/sams choice issue.

Your conversation with Ford is very interesting.

The sheer number and years of transmissions they have that use Mercon V suggests they know something that Valvoline do not.

I'm very happy with the Valvoline Mercon V which is unlicensed but which Valvoline says meets or exceeds all Mercon V performance specs.

Lastly, did anyone else notice that Ford now allows Mercon V fluid for the FNR5 Mazda transmission that was specified for the FNR5 fluid aka the confusingly named Mazda M5 fluid?

For a long time Mazda said not to use Mercon V because it was not the same as M5. Now it appears it is OK to use.

I've used MaxLife with no major issues in newer transmissions. My personal car liked it but I went back to mineral-based T-IV/ATF 3309 since it would be closer to what the original fluid specs was. I do notice a little more smoother shifts.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I've used MaxLife with no major issues in newer transmissions. My personal car liked it but I went back to mineral-based T-IV/ATF 3309 since it would be closer to what the original fluid specs was. I do notice a little more smoother shifts.

You noticed slightly smoother shifts with which fluid?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
He put it like this, if the low viscosity fluid that don't sheer was a good idea, Ford would have obsoleted MV and replaced it with LV. LV is a full synthetic fluid, similar to maxlife...

...He isn't allowed to say who manufactures it, but there are no compromises. He said the Ford MV will keep its high viscosity to 30k miles under daily driving.

None of this really makes sense. Besides, what else would a Ford rep say other than to promote Ford fluids for Ford products.

I noticed the rep didn't say change the fluid every 30k miles. Why not? If the Mercon V fluid shears to below sepc, such as 4.25 cSt in 30k miles, then he and Ford should be suggesting 30k changes.

Last edited:
I noticed the rep didn't say change the fluid every 30k miles. Why not? If the Mercon V fluid shears to below sepc, such as 4.25 cSt in 30k miles, then he and Ford should be suggesting 30k changes.

Actually it was in the next sentence.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
He said the Ford MV will keep its high viscosity to 30k miles under daily driving. Ford does not suggest any other fluids even for the most severe service, but rather a more frequent OCI.

Originally Posted By: nthach

You noticed slightly smoother shifts with which fluid?
confused2.gif

With the thicker T-IV. The shifts on ML seemed a little snappier.

Originally Posted By: DWC28
This is not meant to criticize Valvoline, but has anyone seen any proof of their statement that other ATFs shear more than Maxlife? I am familiar with many ATF formulas and I have not seen where Valvoline VII is any more shear stable than other majors.

What other fluids?

The PQIA-Valvoline exchange was focused on Mercon viscosity specifications vs Valvoline MaxLife viscosity retention.

Lubrizol and Valvoline worked on the formulation of an optimized combination of base oil and shear stable VII.

The exchange between PQIA and Valvoline regarding Mercon was the result of in-house testing of both MaxLife and Mercon:

Originally Posted By: Letter from Ashland February 22, 2012
When the 6.8 cSt minimum specification was originally established in the 1980s it had to take into account that ATFs were formulated with lower quality base oils and additives than are available today. A 6.8 cSt minimum was needed to assure the viscosity remained sufficiently high while in use. In service, as simulated by the 20 hr KRL test, these oils shear down to between 4.8 and 5.2 cSt. Typical MERCON oils today continue to use the older technology. Conversely, MaxLife is formulated with synthetic base oils and the highest quality additives available today. Though it starts out at a lower viscosity it only shears down to 5.7 cSt in KRL. The greater viscosity stability, higher after shear viscosity, and superior chemistry of MaxLife means superior performance in MERCON applications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back