when can you use synthetic on a cast iron sleeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When can you switch to synthetic on a small engine that has a cast iron sleeve. I read a Kawasaki manual a while back and iirc it said wait 200hrs before switching to synthetic. Although that manual was probably a bit old.

Have owned a few sizes of aluminum blocks with cast iron sleeves (mowers to trucks) and know there is some difference in expansion and all the FEA models stuff etc - but I have (pseudo) blindly put "cracked" Dino (GIII synthetic) in all of them right away. Hey - Is that the motor that does not like ethanol either ? ? seems there was some lunch time bonding on that too ...

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I would think 5 hours would be sufficient.

+1. I started using M1 10-30 in my Craftsman 21 HP Briggs engine after 6 hrs. Just finished the 5th year and engine has never used oil in my normal 1 1/2 year OCI.

Originally Posted By: cronk
On small engines, I usually run the factory fill, then 1 conventional oil change, then switch to synthetic.

Typically what I do too.

Actually on most small engines there is no "factory" fill. The machines are shipped to the dealers without oil and the oil that is in the engine when you buy it is whatever the dealer put in it!

Originally Posted By: cronk
On small engines, I usually run the factory fill, then 1 conventional oil change, then switch to synthetic.

This is how I do things.

I'm going to have to dig up that manual. I wonder why it said not to switch to synthetic until 200hrs. Or 250 I can't remember. It must have been an old one, it's on my other computer that I don't use anymore. Most oil nowadays that they put in small engines is at least a semi synthetic.

I just assumed it took longer to seat the rings on a commercial engine vs a regular flathead aluminum bore briggs or whatever that's low on compression and worn out after about 500hrs anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Synthetic can be used from day one, it just not cost effective. Other them cost there is no reason not to use synthetics.

Many of my OPE's got synthetic on day one, and still do. No ill affect, just warm feeling and lighter wallet.

The courage 26hp on my zero turn got M1 afe 0w30 at less then 1hr, Edge Ti EP 10w-30 at 5hrs, and edge ti ep again at end of this last fall at 25hrs.

Probably not, but it is such a small amount of oil compared to autos, pickups, on up. A quart or two of full syn over an oil change cycle will hardly make a dent. Especially with the sales that go on from time to time. I use full syn in my small engine stuff. Most of it the same oil. A case of it will last me 2-3 years.

I use semi syn (Rotella T-5 10W-30) after the first oil change. They always give me a bottle of B$S oil that's just the right size for the engine. I save the bottle and use it as a measuring device for future changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back