Can I delay this oil change up to say, 8500 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think ?

Blotter picture after 48 hours as follows:

Total Quartz 7000 Energy 10W40, 6500 miles (8.5 months old) in Toyota/Daihatsu K3VE gasoline engines.

Fuel:Euro II RON 95 with 500 ppm sulfur .

Dear Mod, not sure if this is the proper forum... pl move if need be.
blush.gif

I just saw a video of an engine running 7 min's without any oil in it at all, it changed my whole look about changing the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
I like Blotter Spot Tests as much as paper chromatography but in both cases I have no idea what I'm looking at. Kira

Quotes from MachineryLubrication may help:
Quote:
Chromatogram Patterns
In addition to the blotter codes, four different zones for each chromatogram were created (Table 2):

C - Center Zone - Area where the original oil drop was initially deposited
A - Aureole Zone - Rings formed outside of central zone
D - Diffusion Zone - Area of diffusion of medium to small size particles
T - Translucent Zone - End of the chromatogram (base oil and diesel fuels)

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/498/blotter-spot-test

Quote:
A)Key Indicators for Soot:

Size of center spot
Color of center spot
Size of diffusion zone
Color of diffusion zone (black, gray)
Aureole formation (incorrect injection condition)
Density (translucent or opaque)

B) Key Indicators for Glycol

Size and color of center spot
Texture of center spot (sticky, pasty)
Size of blotter
Color of patterns (black, orange/yellow)
Aureole formation (glycol presence)
Density (translucent or opaque)

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/499/blotter-spot-method

Originally Posted By: Ducked
What's the medium?

The above oil blots was dropped on a piece of letter head of rough texture slightly thinner than name card.
blush.gif

Blotter tests- poor man's UOA reports.

It is better then nothing and I have used it several times too.

What I do after 48 hrs is to take a picture and store these pictures for comparing the blots.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia

What I do after 48 hrs is to take a picture and store these pictures for comparing the blots.

Thanks, best post of the week!

Originally Posted By: zeng

What's the medium?

The above oil blots was dropped on a piece of letter head of rough texture slightly thinner than name card.
blush.gif

Yeh, I thought it looked a bit coarse. Published accounts of this method (apart from the original "business card" version) tend to be a bit coy about the medium, but some appear to be using fine filter paper, others specifically refer to Thin Layer Chromatography, which usually implies a silica coating on a glass or metal slide.

Coarser media probably won't show structure or debris fields as well. I've only tried fine filter paper (which of course I've lost) and printer paper, both of which looked a bit finer than your picture but still weren't very convincing.

Dunno. You don't have much structure and it isn't very dark, which is good as far as it goes, but I don't much like the peripheral line irregular edge, though that could be the medium.

I used to have a few links to reference pictures (which you've probably got anyway) but this is the only one I could now find from a quick look.

http://www.magna-guard.com/OneDrop.html

For WIW (not much) the one that looks most like your picture (to me) says "plan to change"

Anyway, to answer your question, of course you can. Who's going to stop you?

If you're going to continue to blotter test as an early warning of awfulness, you should perhaps try and get, and test, some finer media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chunt
Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia

Thanks, best post of the week!

Other than $$$, I prefer Blotter Spot Tests to UOA in terms of ease and convenience, short lead times and most importantly it provides qualitative readings in:-
a) degree of loss of dispersancy(dispersancy zone);
b) degree of agglomeration of insolubles/soot/wear particles/polymerisations of base oils/additives etc (centre zone);
c) indicatons on absence/presence of glycol (darkened peripheral ring of centre zone) etc.

Yes, am keeping hard copies of Blotter tests samples .......

It may be a good idea to keep pictures as at 48 hours for consistency in comparison though.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
An uneducated guess says the dispersant is getting weak as the dirt is not carried out all the way to the outer edges.

Hmm...... agree with you dispersants should be getting weaker in use .....
but total absence of 'centre zone' in this sample suggests a 'weakened' oil dispersancy is still on top of the situations and more than adequate in dispersing remnant insolubles/soot/wear particles, I believe.
Though you may think/believe otherwise.

Note:the major/minor Outer Diameters of this Blotter Spot is 31 mm and 29 mm respectively.

Yeh, I thought it looked a bit coarse. Published accounts of this method (apart from the original "business card" version) tend to be a bit coy about the medium, but some appear to be using fine filter paper, others specifically refer to Thin Layer Chromatography, which usually implies a silica coating on a glass or metal slide.
Coarser media probably won't show structure or debris fields as well. I've only tried fine filter paper (which of course I've lost) and printer paper, both of which looked a bit finer than your picture but still weren't very convincing.
Dunno. You don't have much structure and it isn't very dark, which is good as far as it goes, but I don't much like the peripheral line irregular edge, though that could be the medium.
I used to have a few links to reference pictures (which you've probably got anyway) but this is the only one I could now find from a quick look.
http://www.magna-guard.com/OneDrop.html
For WIW (not much) the one that looks most like your picture (to me) says "plan to change"
Anyway, to answer your question, of course you can. Who's going to stop you?
If you're going to continue to blotter test as an early warning of awfulness, you should perhaps try and get, and test, some finer media.

The idea of coarse/fine medium sounds interesting and pertinent in quality of Blotter Spots .....
and would give it a try to assess its difference in Blotter Spot test results in times to come.
blush.gif

Basing on the link provided, I would agree with you the presence of irregular peripheral edge (being related to oxidation ring??) would lead one to the recommendation of 'plan to change'.

Oxidation, if any and there should be one, appears to be insignificant and inconsequential as there is total absence of 'centre zone' in the blotter spot , as you'd rightly pointed out that there is not much structure and it's not dark but light gray ........ and referrencing the following links:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29353/evaluating-lubricant-dispersancy
http://media.noria.com/sites/archive_images/backup_200307_blotter-tab1-2.gif
...hence my question of proposed extention of OCI of say, 8500 miles subject to satisfactory Blotter Spot Test results.
confused.gif

Last edited:
using 500ppm sulfur gasoline.. I think I would want a UOA before extending so personally no I would not.

IIRC: Here they are changing over from 30ppm to 10ppm soon?

Originally Posted By: Lubener
This has to be one of the dumbest questions I have seen in a while....

If you will study this question you may learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back