Hyundai OEM Filter New Part # Change (26300-35504)

So anyone who owns a Kia or Hyundai may be familiar with the OEM 26300-35503 filter which is used on almost all their vehicles. It seems like this part number has been quietly superseded by a new 26300-35504 part now.

There isn't much information that I could find on what exactly is different, other than some theories that the new filter is improved to migitate against some cold start high oil pressure issues.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Due to the popularity of this filter (and therefore fakes), I'm only going to be getting it from reputable sources. The dealership actually had a cutaway of a counterfeit filter and it was interesting to see the shortcuts they took.

Interestingly, you can buy the Auto 7 brand from RockAuto which is just a repackaged OEM unit.

I think they do this every so often. I keep meticulous records and back when I started changing the oil on my Santa Fe (in 2005) it was a 26300-35501. I had bought a bunch and used them until I ran out. I bought a couple in 2012 and they were 26300-35502. Then I bought another case in 2014 and they were 26300-35503. They all looked the same. I wish more manufacturers standardized on one oil filter!

I change the oil on 4 Hyundais and Kias, and go through 12 filters a year @3500mi/4 month intervals.

Reasons for frequent oil changes:
- I am an engineer, ergo OCD
- I am following the extreme condition maintenance schedule
- The annual cost of changing the oil/filter is - I typically keep my cars 8-12 years, and never had reliability issues with any cars over the last 25 years (VW, Audi, Hyundai and Kia)
- Never experienced sludging or coking of oil (turbo)

Originally Posted By: knerml
Reasons for frequent oil changes:
- I am an engineer, ergo OCD
- I am following the extreme condition maintenance schedule
- The annual cost of changing the oil/filter is - I typically keep my cars 8-12 years, and never had reliability issues with any cars over the last 25 years (VW, Audi, Hyundai and Kia)
- Never experienced sludging or coking of oil (turbo)

A man after my own heart! Keep on Truckin'

Just received a box of 26300-35504 filters.

I can not see any difference from the 26300-35503 filters I have on hand. Even the weight is exactly the same.

Assume some technical difference, like a change on back or bypass pressure.

BTW, was able to buy qty-10 26300-35504 filters and crush washers from e-herko on eBay for $46, including shipping.

The seller has good ratings and the filters look genuine.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Just received a box of 26300-35504 filters.

I can not see any difference from the 26300-35503 filters I have on hand. Even the weight is exactly the same.

Assume some technical difference, like a change on back or bypass pressure.

BTW, was able to buy qty-10 26300-35504 filters and crush washers from e-herko on eBay for $46, including shipping.

The seller has good ratings and the filters look genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEfmPFRaoNo&t=1s

Follow that link and check to see if they are counterfeit. BTW, it helps if you can read Korean.

Interesting, I still have about 3 of the now "old" part number. I wonder if calling the Hyundai dealer would clear anything up? If there is a legitimate technical reason they went to a new part number, it would be nice to know.

The veloster turbo I do changes on gets them every 4k miles.

Regarding Hyundai's video on spotting counterfeit filters...

I doubt this will apply to the new 26300-35504 filters.

I like using weight. Both part numbers weight 12.4 +/-.2oz, in the box.

Sometimes manufacturers change a part number like that if they have a different supplier make the part. No real design change, just a source change.

This was a pic I took a while ago at the dealership where they had a display showing real vs fake.

^^^ Nothing wrong with the coil spring design in the fake.

I'd like to see a flow vs delta-p curve for both filters to see if the fake is super flow restrictive, which could be why Hyundai engines tick with bad filters.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Due to the popularity of this filter (and therefore fakes), I'm only going to be getting it from reputable sources. The dealership actually had a cutaway of a counterfeit filter and it was interesting to see the shortcuts they took.

Interestingly, you can buy the Auto 7 brand from RockAuto which is just a repackaged OEM unit.

I think I'll just keep getting them from the dealer. They're $5 and change, and I have both a Hyundai and a Kia dealer within a few blocks of work.

I bought the Auto 7 brand from Rock Auto and this is what I got:

Back