Spun Micro Glass versus Cellulose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What say you on how long they hold up and filter well? I cut open a Royal Purple filter at 14 months, still seamed fresh and pliable. I assume that isn't brand specific, but rather any of the synthetic media. I doubt you can get them to fail until they collect enough junk to fill the pleats. But I have never had any good luck with cellulose filters. I mean at 6 months and less they are totally blown, hard and crispy. I've cut open my fair share of filters, plus have the luxury of having a canister filter on the wife's car, so I speak from trial and error and plenty of greasy finger nails as I'm sure most of yawl do as well.

Why would people use paper if they plan on going over 3 months on an OCI? Any idea why the auto manufacturers haven't adopted synthetic media filters?

Cost, possibly cost-effectiveness, as a best case, and consumer indifference.

BUT I'm not sure what you mean by "totally blown" unless you mean its burst, which would be bad but surprising as a standard finding.

"Hard and crispy" don't seem to make no never mind (seen too many Tommy Lee Jones films) on a disposable media.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
BUT I'm not sure what you mean by "totally blown" unless you mean its burst, which would be bad but surprising as a standard finding.

Must have been using Tearolators.

Which paper filters have a longer then 3 month oci? I thought most I've seen recommend a change after 3 mos.

Most oil filter manufacturers (if not all) say to use their oil filter per the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation, which means it's going to be well over 3000 miles.

I believe I was saying months. But the real question is what you guys find to be the lifespan difference between the two. Looks like most guys are still running paper around here? From my experience paper filters wont outlast the oil, but synthetic filters will.

I put on a lot of miles and I can't recall the last time I had a filter in service for more than 3 months. In 34 years and probably approaching 2 million miles I haven't seen a regular cellullose filter that made me feel like I needed something better.

Not a failure because the media gets stiff and brittle... ive run over 6 months and use cheap filters and never an issue. I suppose if you plan to run extended interval runs/ longer durations you would use a better filter like a fram ultra...my last UOA showed very little contamination on over 6 month OCI with just over 5k miles using a cheap napa proselect 3$ filter. The ADBV was a bit stiff but thats about it.

Originally Posted By: burla
What say you on how long they hold up and filter well? I cut open a Royal Purple filter at 14 months, still seamed fresh and pliable. I assume that isn't brand specific, but rather any of the synthetic media. I doubt you can get them to fail until they collect enough junk to fill the pleats. But I have never had any good luck with cellulose filters. I mean at 6 months and less they are totally blown, hard and crispy. I've cut open my fair share of filters, plus have the luxury of having a canister filter on the wife's car, so I speak from trial and error and plenty of greasy finger nails as I'm sure most of yawl do as well.

Why would people use paper if they plan on going over 3 months on an OCI? Any idea why the auto manufacturers haven't adopted synthetic media filters?

I agree with you that synthetic seems the better bet.

Synthetic media will not degrade from oil. But some will filter better than others.

Non synthetic media will degrade from oil. But how fast depends on the quality of the media. Again, some will filter better than others.

A data point from Mercedes. Cartridge paper filter good for 1 year / 10,000 miles. 2 year / 20,000 mile oil change intervals only possible with synthetic microglass filter.

I ran the Mann microglass for 2 years and it seemed structurally the same as new. 2 years / 20,000 miles is probably a conservative cut off for its holding capacity.

Note that Fram are soon going to officially say the Ultra can go further than 15,000 miles.

I've run cellulose spin on filters for up to 15 months and didn't like the look of them. Switched those to FRAM Ultra and might be doing 3 year plus filter changes.

Yeah Charlie, I do the same. I run years on synthetic media, of course I run low miles on the ranch truck so it isn't that rough on the filters.

I would. A Fram Ultra regular price is around $15 here. M1 filters are closer to $20. Wix XP is higher still. RP and Purolator synthetics don't make it to the shelves here. I can get a Baldwin regular price for under $5. That makes the others a very, very hard sell over modest OCIs.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I really couldn’t tell you. I’ve been using cellulose or fiber enhanced cellulose filters, since I began changing my own oil over 40 years ago. I am coming to the realization that there needs to be a happy balance between flow and filtration abilities. I was looking around this morning and found something interesting.
https://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/test-pictures-and-results.html

That's member "river_rat" oil filter testing "from the bench" done quite a few years ago. Many filters today can have both "good flow" (a relative term) and high efficiency. Even Purolator's old yellow can PureOne (cellulose media, lots of area) had very good flow as shown by test data from Purolator. Many people think you can't have both, but that's not true with today's filters.

Zee06
I found it quiet interesting, even at a few years old. Man, I wish someone had the time and money to do an update. The main thing I gleaned from it was that the entry level Purolator did such a fine job at filtration and flow. The media tearing issue has done a number on Purolator. Maybe they will get that problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Not a failure because the media gets stiff and brittle... ive run over 6 months and use cheap filters and never an issue. I suppose if you plan to run extended interval runs/ longer durations you would use a better filter like a fram ultra...my last UOA showed very little contamination on over 6 month OCI with just over 5k miles using a cheap napa proselect 3$ filter. The ADBV was a bit stiff but thats about it.

I run 10K for 6-9 months with Mc filters and they always look good.

tig1
Have you ever run any of the newer synthetic media filters such as WIX XP/NAPA Platinum, FRAM Ultra, Purolator Boss or STP XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back