Is there a better Dex-Cool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So other than OE fluids Prestone Dex is the favorite these days? Any reason nobody has recommended Zerex? I was under the impressive that was the previous favorite?

And just to complicate things... what about switching to Peak Global Lifetime? I think that was the thing to due about 18mo ago?

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
. Dexcool isn't very good at protecting cast iron, and mine has a cast iron block.
http://www.glysantin.de/en/products/g30.html

My ten year old truck has a cast iron block and head and have not had any issues with Dexcool.

+1. My 98 Chevy is pristine..

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
final charge

Agree! I use Final Charge in everything from my JD Gator, my NH compact tractor, my Freightliner Semi, my Cadillac CTS 3.6, and my 2500 6.0. Final Charge is a killer product. 1 million mile or 8yr/20,000 hrs... with no supplemental coolant additives or extenders. I used it in my last two semi trucks and all of my GM vehicles have been changed to to use the stuff. I like having 1 coolant to cover everything. I much prefer the 50/50 mix of this stuff for my own comfort level and ease of use. Talked with the tech support folks at Peak about using it as a one coolant for everything and they confirmed it was more than adequate for all GM engines, diesel or gas. Easy to get the stuff near me and the price is reasonable, even at truck stop prices which is about $12-$13 a gallon.

http://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/final-charge/about/

Dex Cool is more than fine for the vast majority of applications it applies to. There were only issues with certain engines during certain years. That was due to the gasket material and NOT the coolant. If you really want flush it out and throw in Peak Global Lifetime.

I have heard horror stories about Dex-Cool .

Was it introduced for aluminum engines ? How does it work in cast iron engines ?

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

It works fine. Just keep the system completely full and no air in it. Use a new OEM radiator cap and keep the overflow reservoir above the full line.

A quick check to see if the system is plumb full is to start the vehicle up and let it run for a few minutes to get warm (but not hot). Grab the upper radiator hose- it should be firm. If it's squishy, then you may have a faulty radiator cap and/or air in the system. By the time it's hot, it should definitely be firm.

About the only thing DexCool doesn't protect is lead solder found in copper/brass radiators and heater cores.

When I bought my '99 SS in 2012 it had factory DexCool still in it. While murky and spent, the radiator looked perfect. 13 year old coolant that if the car had been driven a standard amount, would have had 150K miles by that time. I change it every 4 years now.

I came to the conclusion that one should change Dex-Cool every 5 years THEN do a complete exchange (or flush) every 150,000.

Some probably see the 150k and just run it like SteveSRT8 does and just leave it in until something breaks (water pump, radiator, etc). Some maybe just change it every 150k because I don't think very many of use will put 150k on a car in five years.

Also, I think it is very good coolant, but maybe 50/50 is wayyy too strong-even though it is recommended. Maybe if you live north of interstate 80 then it may be ok, but 65/35 would be a ratio I would think would be great for a lot of the country that doesn't get below zero.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Dex Cool is more than fine for the vast majority of applications it applies to. There were only issues with certain engines during certain years. That was due to the gasket material and NOT the coolant. If you really want flush it out and throw in Peak Global Lifetime.

I had one of those nylon gasket GM products that did not like the 2-EH in DEX-Cool. Switched to Peak Global in the gold jugs 10 years ago, also OAT based but no 2-EH. My local NAPA orders it for me at a far price if I agree to take 1/2 the jugs in the case of six.

I've had no problems with Dex in any of the vehicles I've used it in:

2011 Crown Vic LX 4.6 V8 (iron block, alum heads)
2005 Crown Vic PI 4.6 V8 (iron block, alum heads)
2009 Chevy Malibu 2.4 I4 (alum block, alum heads)
1998 Ford F150 5.4 V8 (iron block, alum heads)
1999 Cadillac Eldorado 4.6 V8 (alum block, alum heads)
1995 Cadillac Deville 4.9 V8 (alum block, iron heads)
1991 Cadillac Deville 4.9 V8 (alum block, iron heads)
1990 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5 V8 (alum block, iron heads))
1989 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5 V8 (alum block, iron heads)
1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2.8 V6 (iron block, alum heads)

That's a lot of vehicles and a lot of miles. Lots of cast iron parts. Most of the vehicles on that list didn't even come with Dex as factory fill, and I still have yet to experience problems with Dex.

Here are some pics from a t-stat change in the 2011 Crown Vic. See any hint of problems?

Absolutely none. If I put two unmarked containers side by side, one full of used, one full of new, you wouldn't be able to identify which is which by eye.

As you can see in the picture, the drained coolant is still bright orange and translucent, and contains not one spec of debris. Iron block engine.

Keep in mind, that Crown Vic is spec'd for a HOAT (Motorcraft Premium Gold / G-05), and (Ford's branded version of) Dex-Cool is used in most 2011-up Ford vehicles, so I would expect that Dex-Cool would work great in that engine, and look decent coming out. I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess that the Dex-Cool shown in that drain picture wasn't in there for more than a year or two.

As far as I can see, only 2 (maybe 3 - not sure about the '99 Caddy) of the other cars in your list are spec'd for a HOAT, so I'd be dubious of the long-term reliability of Dex-Cool in most of those engines. Don't suppose you have any pictures of the stuff that came out of any of those Pre-2000 cars in your list?

The coolant pictured was installed in 2013. Almost 4 years old.

The '99 Caddy and '09 Malibu were factory filled with Dex.

The older vehicles are gone now.

-The last one around was the 1990 Eldorado. I sold it in the fall of 2013 with 220k on the odometer. I had Dexcool in it since 120k miles (can't remember how many years...I'd guess 8). Water pump (bearing bad) and rad (side tank cracked) replaced. I replaced the intake gaskets in 2010 due to vacuum leak on the left bank (not a coolant problem).
-The '95 Deville had Dex in it for approximately 10 years and 70k miles. Water pump (bearing bad) and rad (side tank cracked) replaced. Engine never opened up.
-The '89 Eldorado was converted to Dex in 1999 with 68k miles. It was sold in 2015 with 230k. Engine never opened up. Original water pump. If you know anything about the Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 series, you know that this is pretty much unbelievable (the flimsy stamped steel design isn't the most robust). Best car I ever had.
- The '89 Cutlass was converted to Dex around 2000 with only 35k miles on it. After a collision in 2010, it went to the junkyard with 140k on it. Engine never opened up. Original water pump. Rad replaced (side tank cracked).

I never took pictures of any of this kind of stuff back when I had those cars. And, as you have read, they are all gone now. Only the Crown Vic and Malibu remain. That said, all I can give you is my word that the coolant drained from those cars didn't look any different than the picture you see above. Most were drained at component failure, not on a maintenance schedule.

I have no vested interest in this - no reason to lie. Just delivering my EXPERIENCES, which seem to be quite contrary to popular OPINION.

I've never run into any problems on any vehicle that could be blamed on the type of coolant used. All failures were mechanical, and were not out of line with their age/mileage, even when compared to other vehicles that don't use Dex.

EDIT time is up:

I just realized I forgot about the F150 and the '91 Deville.

The F150 I filled it with Dex late in it's life - around 2012 with 180k on it. I sold that truck to dad, so he has it now at around 210k. So that vehicle is technically still around for pictures. Maybe someday I'll snap one if I think about it.

The '91 Deville was rear-ended and wrecked just a year or two after I got it, so it really doesn't represent much in this discussion. But, it used the same motor as the other Cadillacs listed (except the '99 Northstar), so I think it can be inferred that it would have been fine like the rest of them.

Understood. Not trying to stir things up - Just asking an honest couple of questions. That coolant looks pretty good for being in for 4 years.

If I recall, the major issue with Dex-Cool was more centered around the 'early adoption' time period, and was essentially worked out once the late 90's rolled around. I could be wrong.

Wouldn't be surprised if the issue with Dex-Cool is now a 'non-issue.' Seems to me it's a pretty well-tested thing at this point, especially with all the Dex-Clones out there.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Understood. Not trying to stir things up - Just asking an honest couple of questions. That coolant looks pretty good for being in for 4 years.

I understand you're not. I just wanted to add my first hand experiences to this topic since they cover a lot of vehicles, a lot of years, and a lot of miles. Not just another "well my buddy's buddy had this one car with an unknown history...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back