Mobil 1 oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Great filters pricy though.

Exactly. Over the years I scored a few good deals on them on eBay. I haven't eBay checked recently though.

I have one for my truck. For some reason it uses a different flute than the other filters I have for my truck.

It IS heavy.

Isn't it like a mass-produced Royal Purple or something? I'm guessing Royal Purple is the best filter made at this time.

Last edited:
The Mobil one filters are a very good filter. When one sale at O Reilly's for $9.99 they are a good buy. Yes, the Fram Ultra can be had for $8.97 price for most regular everyday filter sizes. But for only $1 more the Mobil 1 filters are a good enough buy to keep one from having to go to Wally world. And I will pay $1 to keep from having to deal with the mass of humanity at Walmart.

I'm in the process of converting all my cars over to extended drain filters and M1 seems to be an attractive choice.

They were cutting-edge and worth the premium price 10 years ago. Now, no way.

Today you can get a true wire-backed, fully synthetic media filter for a similar price (eg. Royal Purple) or cheaper (Fram Ultra). If they dropped the price down to where the filter actually stacks up on the technology pecking order, they'd be a great alternative to a PurolatorOne.

running them now on my Equinox. I was able to get them for $3.68 a piece. If they weren't so cheap I wouldn't even look at them

You can buy a 6 pack of Fram ultra's for $6-$6.50 each. The Mobil 1's can't touch that unless you find them on clearance.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Isn't the Pure One a better filter for less $ ?

The Pure One is a high efficiency filter but not a high capacity one like the Mobil 1. The closest filter Purolator makes to the M1 is the Bosch Distance Plus.

WIX/NAPA filters for me
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I don't like Mobil 1 filters i prefer Fram Ultra

Why? I use both. Though I will admit that the Mobil 1 oil filters I've used come with an oil change special package that brings the filter down to around $7+/- when comparing Walmart's Mobil 1 oil price minus the overall oil & filter pricing special at AAP. I use the Mobil 1 filters for 2 oil changes. The second oil change I'll use the cheaper priced oil only from Walmart. My insolubles level at 8800 miles of use was 0.1 while using PP.

Whimsey

Here might be another way to look at Mobil 1 oil filters. I have an oil sample at Blackstone for a 4Runner that sees what I consider severe service. The oil change interval is 10K with a synthetic 0w-30 oil but the filter change interval is every other oil change. The oil analysis should at least be interesting and could possibly indicate if there is a problem with running the filter 20K miles. I'm waiting for the results.

They are good filters that can probably do the 15k they claim, but are usually too expensive unless part of an oil change special. But if you can find them on sale, there is nothing wrong with using them.

If you have that VW turbo that requires the funny thing at the end, the M1-404 is a GREAT price at Advance Auto Parts (and it's even included with the M1 specials at AAP/CQ)

DO NOT buy the clearance M1 from Rock Auto! They are very old filters from 2008 and NOT safe to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back