Oil change in Mexico- QS racing oil.

Was in Mexico for the holidays.
While there I changed the oil on the vehicle we use there.
1995 Honda Passport V6.

I went to local auto parts and bought oil.
I asked for 20W-50- and this is what they had.
Quaker State 20W-50 'Racing oil'. (marketing I guess????).

I drained the old stuff- which was 20W-50 QS. normal stuff.

I opened the new 5qt jug and saw the oil was RED!!! what the?
I thought Trans Fluid? nope- didnt smell like trans fluid.

I Opened the 1 qt jug--- also red.
they both had the aluminum seal....
so I used the oil.

I eventually went to the QS Mexican web site- and found the MSDS for the oil.
It does indeed say the oil is RED in color.

What do you guys know about this oil? Im used to seeing amber colored oil.
Not red.

that engine on the bottle-- also has 2 fans!

Last edited:
Using 20W-50 in a 1995 car, that is highly politically incorrect on BITOG, although quite normal in South American countries.
"Extiende hasta 6 veces más la vida del motor" Translates to Extends engine life up to 6 times" , pretty bold claims.
Oils come in a variety of colours actually, Castrol Power 1 MC oils are red, Valvoline VR1 synthetic is blue, i also know some brands dyed their oil green, Liqui Moly is dark grey almost like graphite colour.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Its due to the lack of Pennsylvania paraffin in the oil...being Mexican and all.

In all seriousness...who knows...they sure like it thick down there tough

Yep, 20W-50 is still the most used oil viscosity in South America, high mileage oils can be found with viscosities of 25W-60 , in Brazil you can find Castrol GTX HM 25W-60.

Should be fine for LA unless there is a historic cold snap...you might not be too happy if you drive up to Tahoe to ski and it's even seasonably cold up there.
My understanding is that racing oil might be loaded with ZDDP as well as a little light on the detergents (the latter of which would make it a poor choice for long change intervals), but I don't know anything about that particular product.

Being an sn rated oil means it's perfectly "streetable" right? Are strictly racing only oils even rated?

Definitely an odd oil. My experience with oil and gas is that is overpriced and at least the gas isn't consistent with quality. I bought some of the worst gas ever in Ensenada at a Pemex a year and a half ago. Smelled like it was 10 years old.

I'd run the oil with no problems but next time I'd change it before heading down.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Being an sn rated oil means it's perfectly "streetable" right? Are strictly racing only oils even rated?

Looks like the API SN requirements for anything beyond 10W30 are minimal...

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/api-sn.php

. TEOST MHT, 10 minutes foam settling (as opposed to 1 minute for the lighter grades), 0.06% minimum phosphorus, and GF5 seal compatibility?

Doesn't appear to mean much of anything for a 20W50 oil...

That stuff would pour like molasses in New England. Thick for sure but I am sure it is A OK. You are driving an older vehicle and any certs. wouldn't apply

Quaker St. Racing should be fine for 3,000 miles. It part of their low end mineral line-up.

XTR-Pro and Máxima Potencia are their high-end mineral oils. These two are un-dyed.

Greentech is a friction modified semi-synthetic available in 5w-30 or 20w-50 and is dyed green.

A company named Copolusa blends and bottles these oils from mostly US made ingredients.

yeap- the vehicle is used on a ranch- to get around from ranch to town- 4 miles away (rocky route @ 3 mph) or 8 miles away (less rocky but more dirt/dust).
Oil changes will be 3000-4000 miles.

pics below are the non rocky route.

Last edited:
Never seen a Honda Passport, but it looks like it has the correct amount of suspension travel for those roads.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Never seen a Honda Passport, but it looks like it has the correct amount of suspension travel for those roads.

Did you guys get the Isuzu Rodeo in Australia? It's the same thing.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: SR5

Did you guys get the Isuzu Rodeo in Australia? It's the same thing.

OK, yes we got those. I drove one for a bit, good on rough roads, but a bit thirsty.

yes this is an Izusu Rodeo with Honda Badges.

I bought an H for the grille (ebay).......... as its missing-
only to find the holes are far apart--- its an Isuzu grille. for the large ISUZU logo.

grille was replaced sometime in the past I guess.

But youre right suspension travel is very adequate.

When we were visiting we had to get to another ranch house a few miles away-- and it was pitch dark and raining and we had 2 small kids and my large German shepherd.
Since it was out on dirt muddy roads--- I ok'd the trip.
so we loaded up the vehicle.
Dad driving. Mom as passenger.
2nd row was --- Grandma, wife, sister, with 2 kids on laps.
I was in the cargo area with my dog.
Speeds never went over 3 mph--- and the next car around was probably 8 miles away.

A short trip the kids will never forget....as theyre used to being strapped into car seats here on California.
But yeah- the rocky muddy path was not a problem for the suspension travel and weight.

I would never allow kids to travel on the road without car seats....
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back