Oil filter with multiple oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say you use your Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 EP for 2 or even 3 oil changes...

Do you remove the filter and drain out the old oil from the filter as well, or just drain the engine and let the little amount of oil in the filter mix in with the new engine oil?

Originally Posted By: salcuta88

Do you remove the filter and drain out the old oil from the filter as well, or just drain the engine and let the little amount of oil in the filter mix in with the new engine oil?

I loosen the filer, then re-tighten. Many vehicles today are designed so the filter sits in a manner where half of it's contents will depart. Also a number of vehicles exist today that are designed with oil channels that sit right above the top of the filter threads. These oil channels will empty also.

So in most cases today, no need to remove the old filter, then re-tighten it. Just loosen it half-way, then tighten it.

Also, I don't oil my filter gasket, when I initially install it new. I use Gorilla Grease on the gasket and there's no need to apply anything more to the gasket, when re-tightening it. That particular grease is like an anti-seize lubricant. So it eases removal.

Last edited:
I would never use any filter for more than one oil change, but I would like to see pics of a a filter from that situation

Originally Posted By: jacky
I would never use any filter for more than one oil change, but I would like to see pics of a a filter from that situation

There are multiple threads with cut open oil filters that were used for more than 1 OC.

Tons of cut and post threads of oil filter from multiple OCIs.

Leave it on. I asked this specific question to a FRAM representative. They said not to take it off because the seal can only be used once. The warranty on their filter is also void if you take it off between OCI's because the gaskets seal is compromised.

I did that with a mobil 1 extended. I have one more filter left. I drained the oil, refilled and left the filter on. I will replace the filter the next oil change before I hopefully trade it in

An oil filter used for two 5,000 mile oil change intervals will look absolutely no different from an oil filter used for one 10,000 mile oil change. Oil change intervals doshould not dictate the oil filter change interval. The filter change interval should be commensurate with the type and quality of the filter.

As I have stated before, the State Fleet Admin ran tests years ago and determined that the most cost effective strategy to long tern vehicle ownership is oil changes every 6K and filters every other time. There are also paper over in technical that describe the benefits of retained oil at the time of change. the consensus is that 10~20% retained is best.

This has to do with AW compounds that your engine makes as oil ages in the motor. Fresh oil has none of these. 80% replacement will get the TBN back up and the oil clean enough. and the benefits of the retained oil will do until the new stuff has had a chance to make some.

So I'm going at least two changes. Shannow and I are changing the filters a week or two after the second oil change so that the retained is doing its job.

The life of filters and oil are not coincidental. Changing both is a matter of convenience for the guy on the ground or in the pit. Oil gets dirty, contaminated with chemical by-products of combustion, changes it viscosity by shearing, etc. Only the dirty part impacts the filter. And it takes a lot more dirt and soot than one OCI to do in a filter.

Ideally filters would be changed like in marine and stationary when the differential gauge pressures on both side said they needed to be changed. The oil would be changed based on UOA's. In this scenario, the two never coincide. Cars are just done the way they are because of convenience and caution ...

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I loosen the filer, then re-tighten. Many vehicles today are designed so the filter sits in a manner where half of it's contents will depart. Also a number of vehicles exist today that are designed with oil channels that sit right above the top of the filter threads. These oil channels will empty also.

So in most cases today, no need to remove the old filter, then re-tighten it. Just loosen it half-way, then tighten it.

Also, I don't oil my filter gasket, when I initially install it new. I use Gorilla Grease on the gasket and there's no need to apply anything more to the gasket, when re-tightening it. That particular grease is like an anti-seize lubricant. So it eases removal.
Sounds like a recipe to make a mess and get contaminants into the system/seal. If I went thought the trouble to mess with it I'd simply change it.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
As I have stated before, the State Fleet Admin ran tests years ago and determined that the most cost effective strategy to long tern vehicle ownership is oil changes every 6K and filters every other time.

Have you ever provided a link to this report?

California OFAM follows this (oil and filter changed every 6,000 miles or 6 months normal use, or 4,000 miles severe use): https://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/fmc/gs/ofam/dgsofam0035.pdf

Leave it on.
And yes you can use oil filters for more than one oil change, my father always changed the oil filter on his engines every 2nd oil change, that would mean he changed the oil every 5000-6000 miles, and the oil filter every 10000-12000 miles, using conventional oil and motorcraft oil filters, and he never had a problem, and this is not using modern high quality conventional oils, but rather 70s and 80s oils.

Absolutely agree with Bronc...leave the filter alone.

If it makes you feel any better at all, my last two work vehicles were 2014 Subarus...and Outback and a Forester. Both engines were the brand new FB25 NA 4 cyl boxer engines. The engines are notorious for burning oil though mine never used more than 1 qt in 15k.

My maintenance plan was simple...I ran Mobil 1 EP with a Fram Ultra filter to 15000 miles. Drained the oil, left the filter and ran another 15000 miles. My filter saw an honest 30000 miles. At each 30000 mile interval I would change the oil, oil filter, and air filter.

This was all done with UOA verification that I was getting proper service from the oil and filter...my UOAs looked great. I was driving about 60000 a year at the time and did not have a single issue with either vehicle with the exception of the $8000 dollar CVT failures at around 140k. My wear metals were far below average and my filtration was always stellar.

I maintain my brother in laws car and I do the same...except in his case I run conventional 5w20 to 5k and change the oil and air filter every 20..again with a farm ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Sounds like a recipe to make a mess and get contaminants into the system/seal. If I went thought the trouble to mess with it I'd simply change it.

What trouble? What mess? I never said I had to relube the gasket either.
What's so hard about holding a small drip kitchen pan under the filter, to catch a few ounces?

Please explain why it's a mess? Hurry thou! I'm getting dizzy thinking of your wrong answer.

Leave the filter on. For most filters, you're talking about less than 1/2 quart of old oil left in the filter, and for some even less than 8 oz.

More than that will usually be left behind in a normal oil change where you change the filter, stuck in the oil galleries and oil pan. The overall impact on the refilled oil will be minimal.

If you remove the filter and then re-mount it, you're potentially likely to introduce contaminants and/or cause a gasket leak, which, IMHO, is much worse than leaving a cup or two of old (and perfectly serviceable) oil in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back