Washing you cars knowing it'll get dirty same day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, this may sound crazy but do people wash their cars knowing it wont be perfect the same day. We had about 8-14 inches of snow over the previous weekend and most of ours melted overnight with warmer weather and rain. I was considering washing the car to get the salt off but know that it will only get messy the same day if not tomorrow. How many people wash their cars knowing it'll only get dirty either same day or very soon

Spray the salt off, try to rinse it off underneath too! Bottom line, it won't look good as long as there is bad weather.

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
Spray the salt off, try to rinse it off underneath too! Bottom line, it won't look good as long as there is bad weather.

That was always my thought. I like having a clean car but if I can remove things that can cause rust or corrosion I am willing to sacrifice it not looking like a garage queen

Salt removal is important. Grime removal is less so IMO, though that depends upon if the other dirt can etch the clear or anything.

Nope. Why bother cleaning off the salt only to have your car covered with a fresh coat of salt all over again on the drive home? It helps nothing.
The only time I will wash the car during winter is if I know no snowstorms are in the forecast and the roads are dry. this means I don't wash my cars during winter too often. Doesn't seem to negatively affect the paint and the clear coat and my cars are rustproofed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Nope. Why bother cleaning off the salt only to have your car covered with a fresh coat of salt all over again on the drive home? It helps nothing.
The only time I will wash the car during winter is if I know no snowstorms are in the forecast and the roads are dry. this means I don't wash my cars during winter too often. Doesn't seem to negatively affect the paint and the clear coat and my cars are rustproofed.

While I agree the roads are completely clear minus some melting snow so the car would be "dirty" but there are no longer any salt on the car. It is warm enough to hand wash the car in my driveway w/o threat of freezing. Tomorrow when I go to work it might get some water on it but ultimately I am more interested in getting the salt and grime off the car.

I detail for a dealership here and I can sometimes wash mine up 2-3 times a week even if I know it will rain in the near future. Last week we had 3 inches of snow after it stopped and started to melt I just rinsed it off undercarriage engine bay the works. Tonight will be my wash with soap knowing we will be getting freezing rain on Friday. Just like a clean car going into new cold weather storm.

I always just do an over / under salt rinse if possible and leave the dirt on for later.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Hey everybody, this may sound crazy but do people wash their cars knowing it wont be perfect the same day...

Yes, I do. Used to live in Omaha. At some point you need to get the grime/salt off the car or it starts doing damage to the clear coat. I washed it about halfway through a really cold winter. I had the luxury of renting a stall at the Auto Hobby shop, pulled it in, let it thaw out, then complete wash/wax/detail. Took me all day, then after done back out into the grime...

Yes.
The dust and atmospheric fallout that accumulates on exterior surfaces between regular washings makes for unsightly 'mud' during precipitation events.

Washing them beforehand makes it easier to clean 'em afterwards.

Depends what you're planning on doing. If I'm meeting some people and the car is dirty, I'll get it washed even if it rains/snows later in the evening. But normally I'll just wait the extra day. Roads seem to take a day or two to dry out after a storm. It's not that bad for me because the local car wash gives you a free rewash within 2, 4 or 6 days depending on the type of wash you buy.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Wash it once a year if it needs it or not.
01.gif

I live in Phoenix, where dust is a way of life. I'll wash and spray wax the car on Saturday, and by midday Sunday, there's a nice coat of dust on the car.

Even worse are the 3-minute long 'rains' that leave the car a dust-spotted mess.

I like my car to look good, so I keep the waterless wash spray bottle handy, and always have a couple MF towels in a little container in the car.

Heck, sometimes, I wash the car when I WANT it to rain. Sort of a 'rain dance' as my wife calls it.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Hey everybody, this may sound crazy but do people wash their cars knowing it wont be perfect the same day...

Yes, I do. Used to live in Omaha. At some point you need to get the grime/salt off the car or it starts doing damage to the clear coat. I washed it about halfway through a really cold winter. I had the luxury of renting a stall at the Auto Hobby shop, pulled it in, let it thaw out, then complete wash/wax/detail. Took me all day, then after done back out into the grime...

I agree. I kind of see washing your car as a 1/2 a wax. You already wash and dried it, so do the other half of the job and wax on/wax off. Even if it doesn't look good the next day because of atmospheric conditions-it has a level of protection. Dont forget door jambs and get that piece of body work underneath the car- you may have to kneel or stoop to reach it. I think they are called rocker panels. Also, a good blast with clean water for the underside of the car to remove accumulated mud, snow, and salt seems to be mentioned in owner's manuals.

Good luck New Englanders. Keep em rust free

Originally Posted By: CT8
01.gif

If you are washing your car once a year it DOES need to be washed regardless.

01.gif

If you are washing your car once a year it DOES need to be washed regardless.

... and clayed, and waxed, at the very minimum.

01.gif

Lazy people never cease to amaze me,
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back