VAG Exec Arrested - No Bail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Why????? It's federal white collar crime that was unethical but did not hurt anyone.

Sure it did, the up to 40x elevated emissions didn't help anyone's lungs. If you don't mind breathing in tons of extra toxins then have at it.

Originally Posted By: Danno
With lawyers like that, who needs enemies?

He should have hired Vijay Mallya's lawyers. That man knows when it's safe to travel.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Why????? It's federal white collar crime that was unethical but did not hurt anyone.

Sure it did, the up to 40x elevated emissions didn't help anyone's lungs. If you don't mind breathing in tons of extra toxins then have at it.

The post was in response to going to a jail for a long time ...I believe some sort of fine and or jail time in minimum security is appropriate if guilty however this is not jail in a long time crime....

i noticed references to Jan 20 but after that appointees don't believe in environment or any science or pollution etc.

If you're an executive and you sign your name to something in bad faith there should be legal repercussions up to and including jail.

We should have arrested fifty-odd bankers during the bail-out back in 2008. The charge would have been perjury for signing a quarterly report with an artificially rosy view. They'd have whined loudly but it would have shown the common man that we don't appreciate people playing fast and loose.

Sure, but older cars pour out more than that, I bet. And it's legal for them to do so. As they met the requirements for their date of manufacture. Hence I don't get up in arms about this, as it's not quite a double standard--but is.

Jail time is appropriate here, and the bit "no bail" is only because he is a true flight risk--but it sure makes the case sound all the more sinister, doesn't it?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you're an executive and you sign your name to something in bad faith there should be legal repercussions up to and including jail.

We should have arrested fifty-odd bankers during the bail-out back in 2008. .....

This is correct, although I suspect the number of bankers is considerably more than 50.

This man is not likley to stand trial or go to jail. He will be squeezed until he flips to snitch on bigger and better fish.

edit: here, federal prisoners awaiting trial are kept under contract by local county jails. If this German executive is being held in a local Detroit county jail, one can only wonder how long it will take before he is singing like a bird.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I hope he spends a long time in jail.

Does pollution kill?

Going by that every farmer that increases the size of his livestock herd should be locked up because the cows pass gas more.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
[Going by that every farmer that increases the size of his livestock herd should be locked up because the cows pass gas more.
33.gif

If there were huge laws that say his cows can only produce so much methane gas per acre, and he lied to the government that he had 40x more cows than he promised there was, then yeah, he should absolutely be locked up.

Was anybody locked up, or even fined during the EPA's mine clean up incident?
Was anybody locked up or even fined when EPA was pumping raw diesel fumes into the lungs of homeless and children without full disclosure?
Was anybody locked up or even fined for using the dirty fuel in the cargo ships, that is supposed to be outlawed, so that you gen get your cheap, Chinese goods from RockAuto, Walmart, Amazon, etc?

Win,
can we expect some response from the German Government (DE citizen seized while in vacation, probably german authorities not tipped to approve) and the state of Florida (bothering a vacationing tourist)?

They should just seize the guys passport and let him sit out on bail....

Agreed. Without getting political (which tells me that this whole issue is political), we know that the U.S. and Canada have great difficulty deporting people without passports, between getting them on an airplane in the first place and then finding them a destination. Yet, we cannot seize this guy's passport to prevent him from fleeing? If it doesn't sound likely, it probably isn't.

Only difference between white collar criminals and the guy who robs you at the ATM is with one you have a headache. White collar crime causes more damage to society, but too many want to give them a pass because they are "not violent". The sociopath is a conniving POS and at least as dangerous as a violent criminal.

Last edited:
What you say is quite true. But, from a legal perspective, the reasons to keep someone in custody (in either Canada or the States) before a trial are quite narrow. The primary concern is failure to appear, and that's the concern given here. Of course, that can be dealt with in other ways. They fear he'll flee to Germany, not take up a life of panhandling in Florida. So, address him fleeing to Europe. The other concerns are often to do with continuation of the offence, but I doubt that the second he's released from jail, he'll grab a laptop and disable emissions devices on random VW diesels he finds parked by unaware motorists.

Was anyone arrested after the huge, toxic Colorado mine spill caused by EPA staff and contractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back