Shell vs top tier on GasBuddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shell gas stations i use (the ones honoring FuelRebate) are not listed on GasBuddy top tier (you can limit searches to only those).
TopTier website lists Shell of course. However, the stations i use have also the Circle K logo. Now i'm confused if i've been buying Shell gas or Circkle K's no brand.

Here's my take on the potential dilemma. Co-branded stations like Circle K/Shell or Circle K/76 fuels where they are plainly identified are supplied with the branded fuel. Same thing applies to Flying J stations that are co-branded with Conoco (or in some cases Shell). Circle K's and Flying J's that are not co-branded in general do not have to be supplied with Top Tier branded fuel.

Not so sure about the completeness of the Gasbuddy Top Tier identifiers. I have noticed some discrepancies in their Top Tier stations list. I found at least one or two independents listed that could not possibly be Top Tier, because they are not branded independents. There may also be confusion when a station is identified as a Circle K and not as a co-branded Shell station, so the Top Tier identifier may not be provided, because Gasbuddy thinks that station is not really co-branded.

We have a Mobil station listed as a 7/11 store. No top tier logo on Gas Buddy but has to be if selling Mobil. Me thinks? Going to start using more Top Tier to see if there is any improvement on my 04 Silverado 114K on the clock. Mobil and Valero only Top Tier in my area. Helps that they give a discount for using their card.

My question is, is Shell, Mobil, BP, etc obligated to provide the same tier one additive package to resellers if it is not being dispensed from "branded" pumps or are they allowed to use a non tier one add pack? I suspect the latter but really have no idea, interesting question.

Around here I buy Shell from stations that are part of the TrueNorth network, since they are newer, high volume, Shell labeled Tanker trucks deliver the fuel. Versus a small indy Shell station selling who knows what. With the Camry I don't really notice a difference btwn fuels. But with the Matrix and the under powered engine I can notice a difference in performance.

http://www.truenorth.org/us/

One time I saw the same tanker that delivers fuel to Costco delivering fuel to the Shell station I frequent. So I contacted the ceo of TN inquiring about it and he replied back shortly after. He said sometimes their trucks are tied up and they contract out the delivery but rest assured it has Shell gas in it was basically the gist of it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
My question is, is Shell, Mobil, BP, etc obligated to provide the same tier one additive package to resellers if it is not being dispensed from "branded" pumps or are they allowed to use a non tier one add pack? I suspect the latter but really have no idea, interesting question.

No they are not required to give their trade partners (ie independents) the Top Tier level of additive. Most Top Tier fuel uses the same chemistry as a non-top tier stations, but at much higher (3-4X) concentrations of the minimum EPA lowest additive concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back