XDS or M&P Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
My EDC is a Springfield XD sub compact 9mm. This ends up being a heavy gun to carry, especially in Arizona sun. I am looking at Springfield XDS 3.3 9mm, or S&W M&P Shield w/thumb safety in 9mm. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would surely appreciate your input. The LGS has these to rent, So I will be trying them out in the next couple of weeks.

You're gonna hate me... I EDC a Taurus 24/7.

Main reason: If I never get it back (seized evidence), I won't cry.
I don't EDC models I'm "'attached" to.

I hear good things about the Shield as EDC, so it gets my vote in this poll.

I looked at all the single stacks some time ago and ended up with the shield. I absolutely love it and think it's the better gun.

The performance center shields shoot really flat too if you're interested in that.

It's rugged, reliable and has a great trigger. The finish is very strong.

I have 2 40 S@W XD tacticals and 1 XD 9mm tactical and a 9mm XD sc and a 40 XD sc yeah I like XDs but I have shot an XD single stack and the S@W Shield and I like the Shield better. But see if you can shoot both and see which one feels better in your hand. My EDC is a 442 Smith

i rented both.

I like the feel of both guns, I was horrible with groupings with the XDS but that could be because of the lack of pinky extention of the flat mag. I think i prefer the XDS for a carry item.

I have yet to buy either, i'm just using my SR9C. Which i love but once summer time hits, i'll be looking for a single stack.

I change my EDC like women change shoes. If I'm undecided then the answer is always my Shield. Probably carry it 60% of the time. However, and this will surprise you, if you want lightweight, my Ruger LC9s is getting more and more carry time.

I own the Shield, and I like the Shield, but it's about as big of a gun as I care to tote around. I'll carry it under heavier or looser clothing, like a jacket or a suit coat. If I'm out in shorts, the Shield (and most guns in this class) are really too big for me to consider carrying in a pocket. For that, I have a Kel-tec P-32. It's about 13 oz with a full magazine, and completely disappears. If I were buying a pocket carry today, though, it'd probably be a Ruger LCP II. It's nearly the same size as the P-32 (and P-3AT) and it has some additional refinements. It's a fairly new gun, though (it was introduced in mid or late 2016), and I don't know how easy it is to find.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Don't overlook the Glock 43, which I prefer over the XDS or Shield.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
my Ruger LC9s is getting more and more carry time.

I also have the Shield and the G26

I'll take the 43 over the shield or LC9s any day of the week. For hiking I'll take the 28; a bit heavier but holds 10+1.

I'll be selling the Shield and LC9s

Last edited:
I will be trying the XDS, Shield, and Glock in the next couple of weeks. I've been reading about .380's and may look into that caliber. Possibly may be a better cc for Arizona? Thank you to everyone that responded so fast.

Originally Posted By: FFFEMT
I will be trying the XDS, Shield, and Glock in the next couple of weeks. I've been reading about .380's and may look into that caliber. Possibly may be a better cc for Arizona? Thank you to everyone that responded so fast.

A Ruger LCP II would be a great .380 carry. It will disappear in your pocket.

Check out the stealth gear holsters, they are supposed to be some of the most breathable and comfortable Holsters for hot climates.

Also check out Magguts for the shield, you can get an extra +1 round in either magazine without changing the length or +2 by adding a small amount with the other kit.

That can be 8+1 flush with the +1 kit!

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Checked out the XDS, Glock 43 and Shield. I ended up going with the XDS and a SA XDS gear molded paddle holster.

Might want to reconsider your holster choice.

I remember when the Springfield XD was the HS-2000 designed by Marko Vukovic. They sold for $250.00 back then and no one wanted them. Then Springfield Armory got involved, spent millions advertising the he!! out of it, jacked up the price over 2-1/2 times, and sold it with $5 worth of cheap plastic "gear". And all of a sudden it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's still made in the same plant in Croatia now, as it was then.

Checked out the XDS, Glock 43 and Shield. I ended up going with the XDS and a SA XDS gear molded paddle holster.

I hope you enjoy it. My brother owned a few XD-series pistols and they're fine machines. Shoot it in good health!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I hope you enjoy it. My brother owned a few XD-series pistols and they're fine machines. Shoot it in good health!

I have thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you! I will look further into the holster choice. I rarely carry CC, and mostly have it for home defense. About the only time I do carry is when we go out in the mountains.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Might want to reconsider your holster choice.

While I can't quite make out exactly how that holster is made, it looks like it is much thinner plastic, and perhaps riveted or plastic welded together. The holster I have is all one thick molded piece. I think if that maneuver was performed on me it would more than likely rip my pants (or pull them clean off) before the plastic broke. The XDS also sits lower in the holster than what was demonstrated and has much less handle (lever) sticking out to get the leverage needed to break the plastic.

I will take a closer look at mine when I get home. These are just thoughts after seeing the video. Here is the holster I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back