Mobil 1= more engine noise in my wife's GTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of funny that this topic should come up. I just changed the oil on my 91 Nissan Pathfinder with 180,000 miles from M1 10w-30 to 0w-40 the last change. I have never had a problem with the 10w-30 and the truck doesn't burn any but I wanted to have one less oil weight around. Unexpectedly, the 0w-40 made the engine quieter and smoother, especially at idle. I was really shocked. Maybe the heavier oils dampens sound and vibration better.

Cary

In my girlfriends 99 GTP (60k miles) I am running 4 quarts of Delvac 1 5w40 and 1 quart of Mobil 1 10w30. It is SUPER quiet. My moms 2001 GT (30k miles) on the other hand which is just running 10w30 Mobil 1, makes a ton of noise.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The best mod you can do on a supercharged 3.8 is changing the stock supercharger pulley to a 3.4" unit. You'l increase the boost level up to about 11psi and get about 25 extra horsepower. By just changing to that pulley and putting on a 9" K&N cone air filter instead of the restrictive factory airbox, I got my 97 GTP to run a 13.78 quarter mile at 100.2 mph! It was so much fun beating new Mustangs with that car.
smile.gif

And I do agree, 0w40 should work very well in that engine. Or at least a thicker 30wt such as Amsoil 5w30 or Redline 5w30. German 0w30 Syntec would also do well.

I've heard a pulley change would make a big difference! That would make my wife's car faster than my '95 Formula.
shocked.gif
That is awesome!

How much would the thicker oil reduce my MPG?

I stopped by my parent's house to visit and I was going to compare engine noise, but she was out of town.

It does sound like a few folks feel their car is noisier with M1 though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have complete confidence in the quality of the M1, but there is a difference.

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:

I've heard a pulley change would make a big difference! That would make my wife's car faster than my '95 Formula.
shocked.gif
That is awesome!

I didn't know you had a 95 Formula too! My 95 Formula is still a tick quicker than my GTP was though, even in bone stock trim. Best ET with the 95 Formula so far has been 13.74 at 100.0 mph, on Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires, but no other mods at the time (now it has an SLP 2OTL catback though) My 95 Formula is a 3.23 A4, so it's easy to dragrace with, I just mash the pedal to the floor (no braketorquing) and usually cut 2.00 60fts.

The thicker oil isn't thick enough to hurt MPG, in fact I'm seeing better MPG since I switched to the thicker GC 0w30. Go figure.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:

quote:

The thicker oil isn't thick enough to hurt MPG, in fact I'm seeing better MPG since I switched to the thicker GC 0w30. Go figure.
Better ring sealing perhaps?
dunno.gif
[/QB]

Maybe, I guess I'll find out over the next few weeks, as I'll be able to soon see if I'm consuming less oil or not. I'm 2000km into this interval right now.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:

shocked.gif
That is awesome!

I didn't know you had a 95 Formula too! My 95 Formula is still a tick quicker than my GTP was though, even in bone stock trim. Best ET with the 95 Formula so far has been 13.74 at 100.0 mph, on Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires, but no other mods at the time (now it has an SLP 2OTL catback though) My 95 Formula is a 3.23 A4, so it's easy to dragrace with, I just mash the pedal to the floor (no braketorquing) and usually cut 2.00 60fts.

Well,cool. I couldn't have my wife outrunning me.
smile.gif
I know there is no comparison stock for stock Formula vs. GTP. I thought there wouldn't be that much difference. However, those 35 horses made more a difference than I thought it would.

[ September 12, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Racerjk ]

quote:

In my girlfriends 99 GTP (60k miles) I am running 4 quarts of Delvac 1 5w40 and 1 quart of Mobil 1 10w30. It is SUPER quiet. My moms 2001 GT (30k miles) on the other hand which is just running 10w30 Mobil 1, makes a ton of noise.

I've noticed that my car sounds better with D1 and M1 mixed too.

As far as oils makeing engines louder then others, I think certain oils are just a better fit viscosity wise, with certain engines. There was an oil poll on ls1.com and I think 86% of the people use Mobil 1. The remaining percentage left were Amsoil/Redline/RP users, which are all great oils. So I think a lot of M1 criticism is due to the fact that there are way more people using it then the other brands.

[ September 13, 2003, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Just a short while ago that 86% was closer to 95% M1 users, but with my drilling it into their heads, some of the guys in LS1.com are taking my advice and running Amsoil or Redline. I've even convinced a few to try Schaeffer Oil too.

quote:

Just a short while ago that 86% was closer to 95% M1 users, but with my drilling it into their heads, some of the guys in LS1.com are taking my advice and running Amsoil or Redline. I've even convinced a few to try Schaeffer Oil too.

Keep it going Patman! Who knows Amsoil might be factory fill one day because of you.
grin.gif

Wow, Patman that's a pretty good time with only the 20TL catbak. It also traps pretty high for an auto too which most likely means your LT1 should be running better than it ever has. Now you need to put some Hooker LT's, CAI, maybe have someone bore the TB to 52mm and port the MAF housing and get the pcm tuned by pcmforless tuning. You just might be able to crack 13 with this combo on a cold day with slicks.
wink.gif

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by mebanditws6:
Wow, Patman that's a pretty good time with only the 20TL catbak.

That 13.74 at 100mph was BEFORE the catback swap! I ran that time with the stock exhaust system, on the new Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires (2.00 60ft) I am hoping to run a 13.59 in cooler weather now that I've got the 2OTL catback on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back