2018 Toyota Camry - Redesigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Honestly, I have never liked the looks of any of the Camrys from 1982-2017. But the new 2018 is quite a bit better looking IMO. It's definitely not drop dead gorgeous but I think it's now reasonable enough looking to buy. Looks like nice new features inside too as well as improvements on the 2.5L and a new 8 speed automatic (hip-hip hooray no CVT!).

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-toyota-camry-photos-and-info-news

Kind of looks like a smaller Maxima. The styling does look to be improved finally. The hybrid will come with a cvt trans. Interior/dash also look nice. Of course pics and seeing in person can be much different. So hopefully no disappointments there.

Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I don't know what it is that every car must now have black exterior trim (wheels, bumpers etc), particularly the ridiculously over-sized front grille.

Personally prefer the style of the original 1980's Camry (liftback) and the second-generation widebody from 1997-2001. You might be surprised the fuel economy of the Camry decreased with each subsequent generation until some of the more recent models - they've gotten bigger, have larger engines and so on.

The car in the photos is not what you'll see everyday on the roads, or the one most people can afford. I definitely like the restyle, but wonder how much off the pizazz will transfer to the lower models.

I can remember several Camry redesigns that gave me the wow factor, but when I saw what the economy/midrange (everything but the uber-luxury trim) looked like on the road, it was just another blah Toyota. For me, Toyota has always been great on reliability, poor on style and feel in the driver's seat. Vehicles for middle age folks, are what I see them as. Honda has been a good mix of both reliability, and "love to drive" characteristics. Just my humble opinion. I hope the new Camry changes that.

Has a Kia Optima kinda look to it.

2016_kia_optima_sxl_turbo-pic-6269071400284063021-1600x1200.jpeg

2018-Toyota-Camry-115-876x535.jpg

I guess I didn't notice the enormity of the lower grill on the front fascia. A deal breaker for me. Give me the Kia Optima any day (when going by looks alone.)

Look Mom! Toyota make a Maxima now! Gee whiz!

Gag a maggot. I wonder if it will offer the same great U760E tranny with the poorly design torque converter that shudders like rumble strips when combine with the low gear seeking firmware. And gotta love that ATF fluid level check procedure requiring a vacuum holding device with a special temp adjustable probe.

I like how it looks. I'm not a big fan of driving my girlfriend's family's Camry but I don't mind it; I'm just more used to compacts than mid-sized cars. Still don't see myself buying a Toyota barring my Sentra dying prematurely anyway.

I love it. The 2GR and the 2AR are excellent engines that are further improved. The 8 speed auto is great and no CVT. Toyota isn't stupid. Turbos are NOT always good ideas. The styling isn't the best but it could be much worse.

Hopefully the 8 speed proves to be reliable, I know everyone hates CVT's but Honda seems to have nailed down reliability in that department, so they can be reliable if engineered properly.

Moving away from the "corset" front but still has some remnants of the shape.

Interior finally got away from the "mulva" vents/ center console that is just hideous and in practically all new cars.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Honestly, I have never liked the looks of any of the Camrys from 1982-2017. But the new 2018 is quite a bit better looking IMO. It's definitely not drop dead gorgeous but I think it's now reasonable enough looking to buy.

Nick, would you be buying a new 2018 or wait til it gets 16 years old and 200K?
crazy.gif

Lexus or bumper car grill, Impala rear wheel well treatment, and those weird Prius taillight things...but the fastback look is nice.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Reminds me of a Cylon....

no joke, you beat me to it!! I think i posted something a while back about the wide mouth grills looking like a Cylon Centurion!

I like the side view and the rear , but not the front.

Now if the bluetooth phone had a cylon voice , that might work out to being cool, otherwise no.

classic_cylon_by_brucewhite.jpg
2018-Toyota-Camry-CarScoops2.jpg

Last edited:
Have driven a couple of 2003 Toyotas of late (Corolla and LandCruiser-Prado). I find them "hard" to drive because of how easy they are to drive, if that makes sense. Still, the litte 'rolla is quicker than my old battleship.

Another thing I dislike about modern vehicles is the cavernous dashboard. All that collects huge amounts of heat when parked in the sun, great in the winter, but dreadful in summer. Particularly dreadful in summer when coupled to an A/C system relying on a pathetic little electric fan to do the dirty work and using fresh air. I'll take vehicle using an engine-driven fan + electric pusher fan (for A/C boost) anyday. Performance is far superior.
Even the '03 'rolla struggles at idle in tropical heat/high humidity with fresh air. It'll freeze the [censored] outta you, provided you're moving and using recirc.

The expensive LED headlamps have replaceable lenses held on by a gel adhesive, instead of permanent glue. The modders/aftermarket will like this, you will pop off a lens and install a new one, will not have to replace the entire assembly.

Also this is not a "refresh" but a FULL NEW REDESIGN.... and it's about time!

The 2.5L engine is all-new, employing several of Toyota's most advanced ICE technologies, and achieving 40% thermal efficiency.

The Hybrid is sporting fuel economy near the likes of the Prius! But will the CVT have [censored] fake shift points? From what I read is that the "sport" mode has the [censored] shift points, nothing is said about other modes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back