New 2018 F150 Powertrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-stop better be smart on the turbodiesel: turning off engine while turbine is hot is recipe for cooking it.

The Diesel has been rumored since early last year. The 3.0 option is from their Euro lines, Land Rovers Lion engine.

Nice torque and hp numbers, but I wonder what the real world mileage will be like and what the engine upcharge will be?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Auto-stop better be smart on the turbodiesel: turning off engine while turbine is hot is recipe for cooking it.

The Ecoboosts are all turbos too, at least they'll be cooking turbos and oil across the board!

How is start stop in a turbo engine a good idea? The wide temperature swings and rotational speeds seems like this would quickly wear out parts due to mechanical stresses.

Originally Posted By: nobb
How is start stop in a turbo engine a good idea? The wide temperature swings and rotational speeds seems like this would quickly wear out parts due to mechanical stresses.

Modern engine computers calculate all sorts of things like engine run time and power output. Wouldn't be too hard to correlate run time and power output to make a tree of when to shut down or not.

Also, there's almost nothing to wear in a journal bearing like the modern production gas-engine turbos use. Add in that all these turbos are actively and passively water-cooled in addition to oil-cooled. Their temperatures do not swing as dramatically as turbos of 30 years ago. Practice good maintenance and it'll be fine.

Mid-20's MPG average for a body on frame barn door is pretty darned good. And 30 mpg highway would be unreal in a pickup.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Auto stop/start standard across the line.... Yuck! Had a rental car with that "feature" for a week last summer, there was no way to disable it. Really disliked and didn't get used to auto stop/start, and I won't buy a car that has it. I'm too old school I guess...
Yep it sucks.

It's one of my favorite features on my truck.

When BMW introduced A/S system, it could be turned off, but it would activate itself next time. There were so much complaints for not being able to disable for good, that BMW updated software to allow that.
Strange that FORD did not learn this lesson from BMW, since it happened in 2011.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Quote:

An all-new second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine features advanced dual port and direct injection technology

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia...150-pickup.html

This should help minimize carbon buildup on the intake valves...no walnut shell blasting necessary!

2nd Gen! That motor has only been out a couple years!

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

The Ecoboosts are all turbos too, at least they'll be cooking turbos and oil across the board!

Modern turbos(last 10-15 years) use convection to keep coolant flowing. It's not 1980's anymore.....

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
The Diesel has been rumored since early last year. The 3.0 option is from their Euro lines, Land Rovers Lion engine.

Nice torque and hp numbers, but I wonder what the real world mileage will be like and what the engine upcharge will be?

IIRC when we were considering the Jeep GC diesel, the upcharge was about $4,500. I'm glad I read up and asked around about the engine and stayed clear.

I can't imagine a diesel with stop start.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Auto stop/start standard across the line.... Yuck! Had a rental car with that "feature" for a week last summer, there was no way to disable it. Really disliked and didn't get used to auto stop/start, and I won't buy a car that has it. I'm too old school I guess...
Yep it sucks.

It's one of my favorite features on my truck.

When BMW introduced A/S system, it could be turned off, but it would activate itself next time. There were so much complaints for not being able to disable for good, that BMW updated software to allow that.
Strange that FORD did not learn this lesson from BMW, since it happened in 2011.

If I understand correctly, the mpg savings from a given feature may only be used IF that system is enabled by default. If Ford were to make it something the driver could just turn off and stay off, they can't count the mpg gains in the book. I'm sure there are smaller details I'm missing, but I *think* that's the gist of it.

-m

So perhaps with the dual injection points Top Tier and Techron can do some work on the intake ?

Quote:
If I understand correctly, the mpg savings from a given feature may only be used IF that system is enabled by default. If Ford were to make it something the driver could just turn off and stay off, they can't count the mpg gains in the book. I'm sure there are smaller details I'm missing, but I *think* that's the gist of it.

-m

In all BMW cars you can turn off A/S system and it will stay off. And I bet BMW claims those savings with EPA. They talk about savings in all their promotional brochures making emphasis on A/S system. It is drivers decision, same like it is whether he/she will floor it on stop light. EPA numbers are anyway theoretical. My BMW gets 19/26 by EPA. In practice I get 21-22 in city and almost 30 on HWY. So go figure.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
3.0 diesel sounds interesting. But like was already said, I'll wait to hear the reports from the guinea pigs.

Hopefully it doesn't have the same ceramic turbo bearings like the 6.7L PS.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
So perhaps with the dual injection points Top Tier and Techron can do some work on the intake ?

Well, I believe that best thing for that are good gas (Chevron will do), long drives and heavy foot.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
3.0 diesel sounds interesting. But like was already said, I'll wait to hear the reports from the guinea pigs.

Hopefully it doesn't have the same ceramic turbo bearings like the 6.7L PS.

That 3.0 V6 is coming from Europe, and it did not gain some tracking there. Probably because FORD is not synonym for luxury vehicle and V6 in Europe are found in luxury vehicles. On other hand, their diesel four bangers IMO were always above average on EU market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back