VAG Exec Arrested - No Bail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

WSJ = A Volkswagen AG executive was arrested and charged as part of a U.S. investigation into the German auto giant’s emissions-cheating scandal, with a federal complaint detailing how the company’s top management conspired to hide the cheating from regulators.

Oliver Schmidt, who was once in charge of ensuring that Volkswagen vehicles complied with U.S. emissions, was arrested by Federal Bureau of Investigation agents on Saturday at Miami International Airport as he prepared to fly home to Germany. He is suspected of conspiring to defraud the U.S. government and U.S. consumers to sell Volkswagen diesel vehicles.

In one of the most dramatic scenes to unfold since Volkswagen admitted in September 2015 to installing illegal software on millions of its vehicles to cheat emissions test, the portly executive stood forlorn-looking before a U.S. magistrate in Florida on Monday in handcuffs, shackles and a tan jumpsuit.

He was denied bail pending a Thursday court appearance for fear he could flee to Germany.

“And if he goes back, he’s never coming back,” Benjamin Singer, a Justice Department lawyer, told the court. Mr. Singer said an attorney for Mr. Schmidt had alerted government lawyers that the executive would be in Florida for vacation.

"Mr. Singer said an attorney for Mr. Schmidt had alerted government lawyers that the executive would be in Florida for vacation"

With lawyers like that, who needs enemies?

Originally Posted By: CT8
The corp didn't lobby enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That or should have hired the lawyers that represented the banks during the bailouts.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: CT8
The corp didn't lobby enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That or should have hired the lawyers that represented the banks during the bailouts.
You are smarter than I!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
He's going to be shipped to Detroit where the case against him is being prepared.
Detroit ? Strange.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I hope he spends a long time in jail.

yes cheaters should spend time in jail, this guy will take one for the team!

you can thank vw for screwing any future deisels in the US, they will be too expensive.

Why????? It's federal white collar crime that was unethical but did not hurt anyone.

I think he traveled to Miami from Germany. What a vacation that turned out to be.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Why????? It's federal white collar crime that was unethical but did not hurt anyone.

Does pollution kill?

Originally Posted By: madRiver

White collar crime? So just because he didn't pull out a gun and shoot people in the head means he shouldn't have jail time?

What about someone stealing millions of dollars from a company? Just a slap on the wrist?

Originally Posted By: VNTS

yes cheaters should spend time in jail, this guy will take one for the team!

you can thank vw for screwing any future deisels in the US, they will be too expensive.

2018 F150 engine option will include a 3.0L diesel.

2018 GM mid-size SUVs will include a diesel option.

These 2 additions will have a far greater reach on diesel adoption than VW alone ever could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back