Castrol Magnatec full synth vs Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

From my understanding Castrol Edge is the more premium oil compared to the Magnatec Stop Start full synthetic. I was looking at the labels though and the Edge is only API SL where as the Magnatec is SN. Wouldn't this mean the much cheaper Magnatec is a better oil because of the newer spec? Both bottles were 5W-30...

Please clarify if your Edge 5w-30 also carries ACEA A3/B4 spec.

If so, that would explain why it's API SL, but that does not necessarily mean it's inferior. It's just different - designed for a different purpose/application.

Good question! Castrol was always a huge question mark in my mind compared to Mobil products based the voa/uoa. The difference between Magnatec and Edge? Minor, I guess.

A lot of talk but the main difference between Magnatec and Edge is that Edge has a more robust add pack, with a dab of Titanium, they say. Also the base oil is more to the side fully syn (with a little group IV & V, maybe) than the Magnatec (more group III with a little V), IMO.

Hi OP,

In Australia, Castrol Magnatec 5W30 "Stop-Start" is a full synthetic oil that is rated API SN and ACEA A3/B4. Our Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is a full synthetic that is rated API SL and ACEA A3/B4. The Edge also meets many OEM specs like BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5.

If you consult the Castrol Edge PDS (here)

It clearly states that the Edge meets all the quality requirements of API SN, but is classified as SL due to elevated zinc / Phos levels. This is because under SN rules the Phos levels are restricted for ILSAC grade (20 & 30 weight) oils. The extra Phos comes from the extra ZDDP (zinc) anti-wear agent in the Edge.

The Edge has about 1000 ppm Zinc, while the Magnatec has about 800 ppm Zinc.

To me, this makes the Edge A3/B4 the better product. But I have both at home, and I consider both to be excellent oils.

SR5 has hit this nail right in the head as usual
smile.gif

The BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 are FAR tougher specs to hit than API SN. And by a wide margin. If someone has a newer car that doesn't burn any oil hardly at all then they could run the 5w30 ACEA A3B4. I believe that all cars burn at minimum just a very small amount of oil. If it's an amount that is so small as to not to have to add oil for it and the level on your dipstick really doesn't change. Then it would be easily permissable to run the ACEA A3B4. I ran Castrol 0w30 with the BMW LL-01 approval in my car due to the fact my car fits that description as well.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi OP,

In Australia, Castrol Magnatec 5W30 "Stop-Start" is a full synthetic oil that is rated API SN and ACEA A3/B4. Our Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is a full synthetic that is rated API SL and ACEA A3/B4. The Edge also meets many OEM specs like BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5.

If you consult the Castrol Edge PDS (here)

It clearly states that the Edge meets all the quality requirements of API SN, but is classified as SL due to elevated zinc / Phos levels. This is because under SN rules the Phos levels are restricted for ILSAC grade (20 & 30 weight) oils. The extra Phos comes from the extra ZDDP (zinc) anti-wear agent in the Edge.

The Edge has about 1000 ppm Zinc, while the Magnatec has about 800 ppm Zinc.

To me, this makes the Edge A3/B4 the better product. But I have both at home, and I consider both to be excellent oils.

Thank you for that explanation. I noticed all LL-01 oils in 30 grade were API SL and knew there had to be a reason.

I'm trying to get confirmation on whether the molecules that are unique to Magnatec are also found in US Edge line.

On a side note, Edge EP does not meet D1 G2, where as black bottle Edge and Magnatec do.

Originally Posted by buster
I'm trying to get confirmation on whether the molecules that are unique to Magnatec are also found in US Edge line. ...
If those molecules are truly "unique to Magnetec" (which is questionable), they can't be found anywhere else, by definition of the word.

I believe they are unique to Castrol:

"The company has been conducting research for the last ten years, with help from Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, to develop this product. It has been tested for over three million kilometers, before introducing it in the marketplace. It also has patented this technology in several countries and is under process in India too. This oil is specifically designed to provide non-stop engine protection, not only during warm up but also during stop-start driving conditions."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back