Snowblower: Honda vs. Ariens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, time to replace my ~16 year old Honda snow blower. It quit, due to an ignition or timing issue (weak spark and firing early and inconsistently...carb and jet are clean, governor is fine)and while I will repair it, I need a new one. The Honda, when back to running, will go to family.....can't complain, 16 years with absolutely nothing but a lot of use, oil, plugs, spray grease and normal adjustments.

I am looking at 28" tracked models, prefer hydro, and like the Ariens overall but am unsure about the Briggs engine. My gut feeling is another Honda, but I'd like to hear other's opinions and experience.

thanks.

The Honda is a great premium machine. If I could justify one, that would be my choice. They're really outstanding.

I just had my first issue with a Briggs Snowtek motor in 14 years on simplicity, new carb.(leaking fuel)

Not convinced that Honda vs Briggs in a snowblower application matters. I have a commercial grade 24" Simplicity that has had no issues till the carb and a drive belt snap. Not sure if Ariens has different grades of machines but the neighbors both seem to be down a lot as they occasionally borrow mine.

I'm still using my Ariens, bought in 1977.

Every time I go to Home Depot, I look at the newer model Ariens.
I'm sure they cheapened them quite abit, but with the better engineering, you should get your monies worth.

Ariens or Honda - I'd look at how easy the Engines are to work on.
If you have to repair the Carb or replace the Spark Plug, which is easier in the cold weather ?

If you wanted a little heavier duty, what Brands/Models do the Contractors use ?
I know there's one Company but can't think of the name.

I have a 3 yr old Ariens, comes with 306 cc ax engine, 24 platinum SHO

Runs great, has a posi, for the auto turn, hand warmers etc

I have 23 yr old 28" craftsman with 10HP snow king engine which still runs as back up.

I thnk ariens just came out with a Fuel Injected AX engine too.

Honda makes some nice machines but I have always leanded towards something that offers easier maintenance and offers the power needed for where I live. I have a 16 year old Troy Built with a Tecumseh engine that has had zero issues what so ever. Any machine that is properly maintained will last many years.

My snowblower which was made in 1966 is a commercial Allis Charmers with the Briggs and stratton engine and it gets heavy use on a big piece of property never a problem..

I see a lot of ariens machines around here... There is no need to spend a lot more money on a Honda because it says Honda.. Stop by a small engine repair shop that repairs them and ask them which is better.
Honda is not at all what they used to be.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want, but it might be worth thinking about a 3 stage snowblower if you need to toss snow for substantial distances...CR had some recent positive reviews of Troy-Bilt and Cub Cadet models, looks like there is also a Craftsman out there now. Seems like tracked would not be an option for a 3 stage, as far as I can tell...I have a 20 year old tracked Yardman and I am not sure if I would buy another one, mine really likes to ride on top of really heavy snow when it piles up.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 3 stage late in the fall, but Lowe's would not take my old one away when they delivered the new. The Yardman is kind of a POS with way too much plastic, but it has been trouble free since I had the original drive sprockets that were shedding teeth replaced about 10 years ago. I almost wish it would die after a small storm (maybe 4 inches...I shovel for anything less) so I could buy myself a new toy with no guilt! We have to park a car outside now that my daughter has one and it would be really nice to be able to consistently toss about 40 feet and over whatever unlucky vehicle is buried after a big storm...that's why I am jonesing for a 3 stage.

Last edited:
I'd prefer a Hydro trans on either brands

The contact patch on the Honda tracks, without actually checking online, isn't it like 2X over the Ariens tracks unit

Last edited:
Troy-Bilt, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, and one or two others are all MTD models with different paint.

They are junk. Do not buy one. I have a Troy-Bilt Storm 3090XP that I picked up from Lowes in 2011. It is garbage, made to the absolute lowest standard.

Troy-Bilt was great when they were built in Troy, NY. They went out of business and MTD bought the brand, which they now use to market their equipment. Save yourself the frustration and avoid MTD products.

"Troy-Bilt, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, and one or two others are all MTD models with different paint...", "...avoid MTD products."

Agree, I had an old IH Cub 782 and bought a new MTD Cub when we bought a new house in the late 90's.....fast forward ~20 years and the 782 is still in my barn.

I narrowed my selection to Ariens, Honda and Simplicity, eliminating the latter only because of dealer location.

Where are you finding an Ariens with a Briggs engine? (unless this is something new) For the past number of years the Ariens line has used LCT "liquid combustion technology" OHV engines.

In regards to Hondas, yes they are nice. IMO they throw snow better than any of them. I just don't care for a hydrostatic trans on a snowblower. I like to be able to freewheel and pull them backwards. With hydro, you have to drive it everywhere which takes too long IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back