Connecting a receiver and speakers with TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any audio experts here, who can lend me a hand, please?

So I have this receiver and am trying to connect some really good and powerful speakers with it(https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf/20/1922...20cd885201931da)

Question is, do I need a separate AMP or this one would be good enough? Also, I am having hard time figuring it out how to connect connections from the cable box to receiver?
frown.gif

Also, I am trying to connect below speakers with this receiver? Would it work and a good idea? I have another NAD 7140 stereo receiver too, would that be a better choice?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Any audio experts here, who can lend me a hand, please?

So I have this receiver and am trying to connect some really good and powerful speakers with it(https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf/20/1922...20cd885201931da)

Question is, do I need a separate AMP or this one would be good enough? Also, I am having hard time figuring it out how to connect connections from the cable box to receiver?
frown.gif

Also, I am trying to connect below speakers with this receiver? Would it work and a good idea? I have another NAD 7140 stereo receiver too, would that be a better choice?

Thanks for all the help.

Are those what I think they are??
20.gif

http://www.audioscope.net/magneplanar-mgiib-magnetostatic-speaker-p-1467.html

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Are those what I think they are??
20.gif

http://www.audioscope.net/magneplanar-mgiib-magnetostatic-speaker-p-1467.html

No, they are different. Just curious, how much were the above ones?

Not sure. I found that on an audio forum. I remember them from the early 1980's and they were really expensive and high end. Here's a little info on them (might have to copy and paste that link):

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Magnepan_MG1.jpg

I do have my TV connected to my stereo system. I have one of those late 1970's era "monster receivers". I hooked the audio out from the TV to the aux in on the back of my receiver.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I do have my TV connected to my stereo system. I have one of those late 1970's era "monster receivers". I hooked the audio out from the TV to the aux in on the back of my receiver.

Yeah, I tried in my case not working. Not sure if there's something wrong with the receiver?

If your cable box has RCA Audio Outs (Left/Right Ch.) connect to an input of your receiver (not the phono input.) If you do not have this, you'll need to get the audio connection from your TV via analog audio or optical out connection. These are Magnepan's! Power hunger/low sensitivity and low impedance (4 ohm) speakers. The NAD is rated to drive 4 ohm spks. Not sure about the technics? You need an amp w/lots of current to drive these spks. properly.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
If your cable box has RCA Audio Outs (Left/Right Ch.) connect to an input of your receiver (not the phono input.) If you do not have this, you'll need to get the audio connection from your TV via analog audio or optical out connection. These are Magnepan's! Power hunger/low sensitivity and low impedance (4 ohm) speakers. The NAD is rated to drive 4 ohm spks. Not sure about the technics? You need an amp w/lots of current to drive these spks. properly.

That's the kind of response I was after. Yes, cable box has R and L, but where should I connect those on the receiver? I was struggling badly today and gave up after an hour or so
frown.gif

NAD and technics both say 4-8 ohm speakers.

Thanks for your help. What about using a cable box and connecting that with a receiver and then connecting speakers with receiver? Would this work?I have two receivers,: 1-NAD 7140 stereo receiver and 2- SA-DX930. Which one you think I should use?
Receiver don't really have an AUX or but TV does, let me look carefully on cable box.

Can you post a pic of the back of the receiver? The speakers would be connected to the receiver and the cable box to the inputs on the receiver.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Can you post a pic of the back of the receiver? The speakers would be connected to the receiver and the cable box to the inputs on the receiver.

Yeah, absolutely. Which receiver do you think I should connect? Do I need an AMP or can connect receiver directly?

I can share picture of both receivers, give me one sec.

Parts Express sells a nice 50 watt per channel basic amp with auto on, when audio appears on the input leads the amp turns on. It's called the APA 100. You can buy it through Amazon.
The audio outs on the TV can be used to drive the amp.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If there's a "Tape monitor" switch try the other position.

From the cable box there are two wires coming out, R and L. Where should I connect those on the receiver? Where should speakers be connected on the receiver?

I love the old NAD, but might as well start with the Technics as I can't see the input labels other than "tape" on the NAD, they appear to be underneath the AM antenna.

So, on the Technics:

You want to connect the red and white wires from the red and white ports on your cable box to the red and white ports labelled "TV/DSS" on the back of the Technics.

You also want to connect the speakers, presumably to the "A" side, I assume you know how to do this already.

Then, select TV/DSS as the input on the Technics receiver and you should have sound through your speakers from your cable box. Also make sure you have "A" speakers set to on if it has a speaker selector detent switch or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back