House brand oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's uses them and had good results? I see stp at AutoZone all the time..oriellys seems like a good oil and I know Napa is supposed to be a good one also

They are all good as long as they have the starburst on the jug/quart and are API SN and meet your vehicle specs

They're all fine. Just don't get the no name brands that you've never heard of before at the gas station.

napa is made by Valvoline, most other house brands are blended at warren oil distributors. Walmart included, my wifes civic has 130K on Walmart super tech 5-30 synthetic. and no issues.

they are owned by sears so i'd bet it's a fine oil, look for the API on the back, if it's there and meets the spec desired by the engine, you'll be fine.

Since GM came out with the Dexos spec, I've decided to use only oil that meets that spec and is licensed by GM for all my cars (mine and my kids'). It gives me reasonable assurance that I've got good oil. Of course, this really doesn't apply to German cars with their special requirements. Our cars are GM / Toyota / Ford / Hyundai.

Its all good as long as it has the ratings you need..

Smittys is great oil and when its on sale at K mart it's sometimes $8.98 for a 5 quart container.
The difference is Smittys does not advertise heavily like some of the others... Super tech is also good oil.. So far i don't know of any oil company that can advertise they are better than any of the others without being sued...Buy what you like and shop price and api ratings.. Oil is oil.

Why bother with house oils when during the year you can buy name brand conventionals and synthetics at the same price or less? I find that the house brand oils are always more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Our shop truck gets napa or proline every 6-8k. Has 419k on it now and still passes the california smog test.

Conventional or synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Killer223
they are owned by sears so i'd bet it's a fine oil, look for the API on the back, if it's there and meets the spec desired by the engine, you'll be fine.

Wrong!
Kmart bought Sears.

Oil is oil. I have used house oils for years, from ST and PartsMaster/Napa are my top choices in stock.
I have stocked peak, service pro, and Smittys time to time.

PartsMaster is relabel of VWB oil line. They are local and my in ton grab oil, ussually $2/qt.
I just put in 4qts of there 5w-20 in the gm2.8, the drain was 3qts 15w40/1.5qts HD40 (6.5K oci).

Harvey

Last edited:
House brands are just as good as name brands which meets the same specs. My personal goal is to purchase oil for less than $3 a quart. If a house brand meets my price point I will purchase it.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
Since GM came out with the Dexos spec, I've decided to use only oil that meets that spec and is licensed by GM for all my cars (mine and my kids'). It gives me reasonable assurance that I've got good oil. Of course, this really doesn't apply to German cars with their special requirements. Our cars are GM / Toyota / Ford / Hyundai.

For German cars, you have to look at the spec, MB is typically MB 229.5, BMW has their LL-01, VW 502/505. Only good thing about them is that they're usually still on the shelf when there's an Autozone clearance oil. Oh yeah, they're usually rock solid, no dash noises or other squeaks, but then again they're about 2-3x the regular price when new.

Most house brands are made by WPP and the same as Mag 1. Pep Boys Proline is WPP-made, for example.

Family Dollar's oil is made by Warren Oil (NOT the same as WPP!)

AAP/CQ house brand is Wolf's Head.

Napa's house brand is made by Valvoline, and their house brand synthetic is rebranded Synpower.

Walmart uses different suppliers depending on the region. In the northeast, it's made by WPP, but other regions may get Citgo or Mobil (XOM-made ST is probably the same as Mobil Special)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Most house brands are made by WPP and the same as Mag 1. Pep Boys Proline is WPP-made, for example.

Family Dollar's oil is made by Warren Oil (NOT the same as WPP!)

AAP/CQ house brand is Wolf's Head.

Napa's house brand is made by Valvoline, and their house brand synthetic is rebranded Synpower.

Walmart uses different suppliers depending on the region. In the northeast, it's made by WPP, but other regions may get Citgo or Mobil (XOM-made ST is probably the same as Mobil Special)

This is weird. How did two completely separate companies with almost the same name, Warren Distribution (WPP) and Warren Oil, end up in the same business of supplying house brand oils?

Warren Distribution was founded by Warren Oil - WPP started out with antifreeze (from their website) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back