SAE 80 EP gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents had an R16, and a typical 80W-90 was woeful in the shift department.

A genuine 80 was always the optimum.

Originally Posted By: Mercurymarc
Can I use SAE 80W-90 gear oil in my 1960 Renault Caravelle transmission gearbox? I am having trouble locating the recommended SAE 80 EP in the USA. Thanks!

For bearings and gears protection, you should select 80W90,which is equivalent to ISO 150 gear oil.
Inadequate operating viscosity with lower viscosity grade, would wear out the worn bearings sooner , not later.

Last edited:
I think this is what you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M8RYMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't use GL-5 in a transmission that requires GL-4! GL-5 contains sulfur and has destroyed allot of transmissions. Especially Fiat transmissions that require GL-1 90 weight.

I have a Citroen 2CV and wanted to put the correct gear oil in it. All I could find locally was GL-5. Amazon.com had the best deal on it.

Although my car is in good shape, the only issue is it sometimes want to grind a bit when downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Going up through the gears it shifts OK. Most of the time when a syncro is worn, it will grind no matter what. But I discovered if I push in the clutch , take it out of gear then blip the throttle a bit before going from 4th to 3rd is goes in without any grinding.

This car is in pretty good condition but I don't think the previous owner did much maintenance to it. The engine oil was black as tar and when I drained the transmission oil out it had that same pungent GL-5 smell to it. So I wonder if someone put the wrong gear oil in it and this did premature damage. If the speedometer is correct, the car has only 25,000 miles on it!

IMG_20160918_093649353_zpsl6at7gop.jpg

IMG_20160918_093659949_HDR_zpseryikdmj.jpg

IMG_20160918_093710303_zpsovl2buso.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
different plates front and back?

Yeah I don't know what that's all about. I bought the car with those mismatched plates. My boss who is from France told me the front plate was from Nice and the rear plate was from outside Paris.

The car did come from France though. Which is the original plate (if either is) I don't know.

My fiesta specs sae80 gear oil. I get stiff shifting when its very cold. Can 75-80 gear oil be used or should i stick to sae 80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back