Under valvcover: '99 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got tired of the hot oil smell during hot idle, so dug into it today. It was 12F when I got up, and nearly 20F this morning--so it was no surprise when I snapped the PCV valve, its rubber hose, and the PCV grommet. Guess I get to run out later and pick up new ones.

I'm not wild about the gasket I got; it came with a TBK kit, and I forget who made the gasket. I guess time will tell.

All in all, it kinda explains the crud I saw in the filter, at the last oil change. I gave the spark plug tubes a bit of a wipe-down, buttoned it up. I was planning on an oil change today, I might still, but I might run it first, let it "wash" itself out, then put in new oil. After I get the PCV fixed. Then I think I'll jump to 5k OCI's -- I had been concerned about what might lurk in the motor, but it appears to be minor.

Oh, and in case it gets asked: I bought it used at 139,500miles. Couple of receipts indicated Quaker state, at around 5k, but no idea what it got before the 100k mark. I did a change to Maxlife 5W30 at 140k with an OEM filter, did again at 142,500 with the same Maxlife and OEM filter. It's at just shy of 145k now.

What's been your go-to oil in this car?

Edit-you were able to answer my question before I could click "submit" haha :p

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Changi g oil won't take that sludge and varnish out. You need Hyper flush Koubeto make that aluminum shine out again.

Meh, not sure I see the need for it. I realize the varnish will insulate a bit, but it's not a car I plan on driving hard. Just zip up and down the highway.

Haven't taken it past 4k, yet (for fear of the original timing belt).

Looks fine for a beater! My car at 160K had some heavy varnish. I'm hoping that the M1 0W40 cleaned it up some. My timing belt was original until the 160K mark. All it needed was oil seals and a valve cover gasket. Using a good oil and driving the car quite a bit will keep it running great.

Sweet Jesus that's ugly. Are you planning on keeping the car? Might run M1 0w-40 in it to see if it can clean some of that junk up (check your filter for crud) if that's the case. I had good results doing that with our former Expedition, though it was nowhere near this bad.

Looks OK to me.

You mentioned the PCV system was falling apart. Did you replace the tube seals?

Did you by chance check the valve clearances as well? I am planning on checking them at next oil change and this would have been a good time to do yours.

That's not that bad. These motors are supposed to be sludgers, and that just heavy varnish. Mine is cleaner though. I suggest you take out the "half moons" on each side of the head and use RTV to seal them, they're common leakers.

Here's the link to the post I made last year for mine when I took the valve cover off.

LINK

The hose to the PCV valve is only available from the dealership. I had to special order mine, I think it was $14, could be wrong though. Was worth it, mine turned all gummy and was collapsed inside.

Also, go to www.toyota.com/owners and create an account (very easy). Type in your VIN and you'll be able to see every service it has had at a Toyota dealership. My brother did it for his old 96' Lexus and found out his had the timing belt replaced and some other work.

I did it for my Camry and found out it had valve guide seals done around 80k miles and new control arms and struts at 120k. Also showed it had the oil changed regularly for a period of its life.

I saw the half moons in the kit, but didn't want to make more work. I popped the cap at the driver rear of the head and put a bit of gasket compound under that plug, as it was leaking in that area. Did change the seals for the spark plug tubes.

Didn't think to check valve clearances. Not sure I want to pull it apart tomorrow and check. Bit hard on the fingers. Maybe this summer. OTOH I could stand to hose off the lobes, I know I got some dirt on at least one lobe that I wiped off. Nah, it'll be too cold tomorrow for that.

Didn't think to go to the owner's site; but it won't let me log in at the moment. Not a bad idea to check that out, thanks for the reminder.

I haven't seen that kind of varnish in any engine I have owned in the last 39 years. I used M1 since then.

Huh, my thread got moved. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sweet Jesus that's ugly. Are you planning on keeping the car? Might run M1 0w-40 in it to see if it can clean some of that junk up (check your filter for crud) if that's the case. I had good results doing that with our former Expedition, though it was nowhere near this bad.

I'm keeping it between one and ten years. Just a beater to put 20-25kmiles/year onto.

I'd like to run 0W30 in it, not sure it needs a 40 since it spec'd 5W30 to begin with--and with temps in the single F digits I have noticed slower cranking (could be an old battery though--there's no date code on it so I have no idea how old it is).

Anyhow, the black crud that is on the spark plug tubes has been showing up in the oil filter. This thread is the one I started about what I found in the filter; I bought the car with 139,500 miles on it (give or take), did a change with Maxlife HM at 140k, 142,500 and just now at 145k. That thread showed what I found in the filter on that first 2,500 OCI. This second 2,500 OCI showed less crud, maybe 3/4 of what was shown there. The pleats on the filter are not packed with crud, just some in the deep corners.

Originally Posted By: supton
Huh, my thread got moved. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm keeping it between one and ten years. Just a beater to put 20-25kmiles/year onto.

I'd like to run 0W30 in it, not sure it needs a 40 since it spec'd 5W30 to begin with--and with temps in the single F digits I have noticed slower cranking (could be an old battery though--there's no date code on it so I have no idea how old it is).

Anyhow, the black crud that is on the spark plug tubes has been showing up in the oil filter. This thread is the one I started about what I found in the filter; I bought the car with 139,500 miles on it (give or take), did a change with Maxlife HM at 140k, 142,500 and just now at 145k. That thread showed what I found in the filter on that first 2,500 OCI. This second 2,500 OCI showed less crud, maybe 3/4 of what was shown there. The pleats on the filter are not packed with crud, just some in the deep corners.

AFE 0w-30 should be effective as well. Do you recall the filter pics I posted? If not, I can dig up the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back