Mobil 1 HM SL vs SN info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked Mobil about the differences between the Mobil 1 HM 5w30 SL vs SN versions. Here is what they said:

When an oil transitions from an outdated API spec to the most current API spec, it simply means that it has been re-certified to meet the industries highest standards. The specs of the SL rated VS the SN rated oil are virtually identical. All of the additives remain in tact, but now they have been certified at the highest level. The zinc and phosphorus levels remain at 1100 PPM and 1000 PPM, respectively, so the protection level has been untouched. Generally a transition between differing API specs means nothing more than insuring that the oil will perform well within a modern engine but occasionally an oil will get a large overall. This was not one of those shifts, so I see no issue with running the new SN formulation.

Any thoughts?

Be skeptical of what you hear from Mobil, I have called Mobil concerning this and other information calling more than once and getting different answers from multiple people, as a matter of fact I felt I knew more about Mobil products and the Mobil Web site then most representatives I spoke with, we that being said I changed my vehicle to Mobil1 HM 10W 30.
I have over the years contacted all the majors and I must say I received the most competent information and dialog from Royal Purple, maybe that's why their products cost more because they serve their customers correctly.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: RRLJR
I asked Mobil about the differences between the Mobil 1 HM 5w30 SL vs SN versions. Here is what they said:

When an oil transitions from an outdated API spec to the most current API spec, it simply means that it has been re-certified to meet the industries highest standards. The specs of the SL rated VS the SN rated oil are virtually identical. All of the additives remain in tact, but now they have been certified at the highest level. The zinc and phosphorus levels remain at 1100 PPM and 1000 PPM, respectively, so the protection level has been untouched. Generally a transition between differing API specs means nothing more than insuring that the oil will perform well within a modern engine but occasionally an oil will get a large overall. This was not one of those shifts, so I see no issue with running the new SN formulation.

Any thoughts?
To be SN rated, 0/5w-20 and 5/10w-30 have to have 800ppm or less of Zinc and Phosphorous. 10w-40 M1 HM SN still has 1100/1200ppm.

Link below shows the sulphur and phosphorus limits for Mobil oils

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

That's out of date, still lists HM oils as SL. Probably will take a VOA to discover the actual levels.

It's just another fish now in the sea of SN oils. I am sure it's still good oil for later model cars.

The zinc levels I've seen from UOA's and VOA's have always been in the 700-800ppm range. Mine showed 787ppm.

Originally Posted By: Toto
Be skeptical of what you hear from Mobil, I have called Mobil concerning this and other information calling more than once and getting different answers from multiple people, as a matter of fact I felt I knew more about Mobil products and the Mobil Web site then most representatives I spoke with, we that being said I changed my vehicle to Mobil1 HM 10W 30.
I have over the years contacted all the majors and I must say I received the most competent information and dialog from Royal Purple, maybe that's why their products cost more because they serve their customers correctly.
TOTO.

I agree. When I wrote RP back in their Synerlec days,I asked them what their base oil was. They straight up told me it's a pao base stock. None of that "Oh,it's proprietary information,we don't tell our customers" bee-ess. Kind've like Pennzoil straight up tells you their synthetics are GTL base stocks. I emailed Exxon and asked if M1 contains any GTL base stocks (like was once speculated here) and I just got their usual runaround "That's proprietary,we won't tell you" garbage. All that tells me is that M1 does not use GTL. If they in fact use a superior base stock,you'd think they would want to show off the fact that they use it and not hide said information.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd alter my buying habits because of what a company told me about base stocks. As long as it meets a specification I am seeking I couldn't care less how it's made.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: virginoil

That's out of date, still lists HM oils as SL. Probably will take a VOA to discover the actual levels.

Well then the link on the Mobil 1 High Mileage oils is incorrect see below, the specs are SN but the data sheet for limits are SL

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NAXXMobil-1-High-Mileage-Oils

Originally Posted By: RRLJR

Any thoughts?

Yep - this thought! How old is this SL oil and where has it been kept?

Agree - Shell did the GTL to make money with cheap gas - as a user of PP - I don't use it for GTL - just the good specs.
Will my 5.3L run longer on PP - don't think so, Delvac Dino on deck for next fill.
Oil specs give real world latitude - and they can change ratios based on that.
There are a dozen oils I feel good about pouring in my GDI engines - PP and M1 are just a couple I can find on rebate - but my $2 QSUD is cool too ...
My $2 Mobil Super Synthetic will go in the Fusion behind full price PG ... no worries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back