Cat 3208 oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad's 1978 Blue Bird has a naturally aspirated Caterpillar 3208. I've seen oil capacity listed as 3.4 gallons, 4 gallons, and owners who say the capacity is 5 gallons. I drained the pan, pulled the filters and let is sit overnight before installing new filters and oil the next day. Put 3 gallons in and let it idle a while before putting in 2 more gallons. I have 5 gallons in and the dipstick still doesn't get wet.

The engine was replaced about 10 years and less than 50K miles ago with a Cat rebuilt engine. This could mean the new engine has a different pan than the original, and I don't know if the dip stick and tube came with the replacement engine, or was installed off the original engine.

Considering options of continuing to add oil and trust the dip stick, which may mean possibly 6 gallons in the sump. Some concern if I do that the level will be too high and have the crank running in oil and maybe causing aeration. Also considering brazing an extension on the dip stick and having 5 gallons, which is the most I've read for these engines, be full capacity.

The Blue Bird is built on I think a Ford B700 chassis. With a 5 gallon oil capacity and a 13 gallon cooling system, it may be fairly lightly loaded in an RV platform vs the duty the engine endured in other platforms such as dump trucks. I feel pretty confident 5 gallons of oil will suffice in this application, though if 6 isn't above the designed proper level, that's fine.

Opinions?

I wonder if some wisea** might have put on an even deeper oil pan from a later engine, or something.

A turbo 3208 might take 5 gallons, but no way is the N/A 3208 supposed to be close to that much.

I looked at where the dip stick connects to the block and the tube has rust and the connection point is painted. This likely indicates the tube didn't come with the Cat rebuilt engine. I need to find how far below the oil pan to block interface the oil level should be.

Some of the other 3208 owners you know should be able to give you a quick measurement of the dipstick...or you could call your local Cat dealer with the engine serial number and order one.

If the dipstick and tube is indeed for a 3208, you should be able to add oil until it reaches the proper level. The oil level is the same regardless of the pan capacity. If your Blue Bird has the oil filters relocated, or some additional coolers, that likely accounts for the extra oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back