Leaving the engine run All night long (all night)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your mom said to log off because it's time for bed.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
How many of ye let the engine run, rather than turn it off?

Yep, Halliburton and Schlumberger folks around here have done this for decades ... and years ago the 3k OCI mentality took care of the "un logged" miles ... guess better oils have their backs now ...

Once to run an inverter as we were without power for 24 hours....the engine filled the mufflers with water so it did make a funny gurgling sound after about 4 hours.
About 1/2 gallon an hour...not the most efficient 750W genny.

Last edited:
Northern Montana, I know a couple guys that will let their diesel idle all night when they are out in the open at -20°C.

I'm a gas engine guy, so never for me - if it's a really cold climate it's 0w30.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Your mom said to log off because it's time for bed.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
How many of ye let the engine run, rather than turn it off?

u regina eh?

how's the weather out there? you fellas keepin warm?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Once to run an inverter as we were without power for 24 hours....the engine filled the mufflers with water so it did make a funny gurgling sound after about 4 hours.
About 1/2 gallon an hour...not the most efficient 750W genny.

For comparison my 5000 w boat genset uses 1/2 gallon per hour at full load. I have a cheap Coleman 6250 w generator at home that probably burns 2-3 gallons per hour, and is LOUD. I guess that is the difference between a $600 generator and a $8000 generator.

Trolling.gif

No seriously i don't know if you are trolling or if you are serious... i would never leave an engine running all night unless it was -50 degrees outside and i didn't have a block heater on a car, its a massive waste of gas, it creates wear on the engine, it's unnecessary pollution etc etc etc.

I disagree with those saying it would create additional wear. I think the opposite would be true. Fuel injected engines run pretty lean at idle and will not cause fuel dilution, maybe with the exception of GDI and that's a big maybe, as many here believe. The oil and coolant temps will vary much, much less and the engine components themselves will see very little heat cycles.
Would this outweigh the extra cost in fuel? I don't think so because the vehicle is sitting and doing nothing. However in commercial applications, where the equipment can be operated by different crews/drivers 24/7, with only downtime for maintenance and repair, the engines do last longer with fewer break downs.

Last edited:
I have talked to those in Alaska running diesels and yes because of -40 or worse. On the fly oil changes on the heavy equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back