Castrol GTX Ultraclean

Anyone else seeing this one cropping up? Forgive me if there's been a topic already, I tried a search and found nothing.
The thoughts I had about it...
Does it replace GTX?
Is it a new formulation or rebranding?
And what about the formula is supposed to be dual acting?

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5DEAD6CF2F00966880258034005B0DB0/$File/BPXE-AAXEC9.pdf

Looks interesting if the price is right.

It's recently arrived in Australia too

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4269898/

But I don't know much about it.

Originally Posted By: SR5
So I have just noticed a new Castrol GTX 10W-30 in the Australian market. It's called "UltraClean" and right now it's sold in parallel with the older GTX 10W-30 "Modern Engine".

NEW: GTX 10W30 UltraClean
API SN and ILSAC GF-5, claims to offer 50% better sludge protection than industry standard.
KV40 = 73 cSt, KV100 = 10.8 cSt
PP = -45C, FP = 200C, SAPS = 0.95
CCS @ -25C = 6414 cP

OLD: GTX 10W30 Modern Engine
API SN and ILSAC GF-4, claims to offer 25% better sludge protection than industry standard.
KV40 = 61 cSt, KV100 = 10.1 cSt
PP = -36C, NOACK = 13%, HTHS = 2.9 cP
CCS @ -25C = 4000 cP

In usual Castrol fashion, their PDS sheets give a fairly random selection of oil characteristics, some of which may be nominal rather than measured. It's common to see: HTHS 2.9 min, PP -36C max, FP 200C min, so I wouldn't put too much weight in those values when given, except to mean the min/max requirement has been met. But the old is thinner and GF-4, while the new is thicker (but with a better Pour Point) and GF-5.

Also I've just noticed that the Oz Castrol web page is titled "Castrol GTX Part Synthetic", so I assume this new oil is a Group II and Group III blend. While the older oil is probably Group II only.

Also a flyer I have says the new UltraClean is 50% cleaner "compared with API SN Seq. VG Sludge test limit". In reality I would assume that many other name brand SN & GF-5 mineral oils would beat this limit by a decent amount. However I also assume the older GTX (SN & GF-4) beat it by 25%, so this is a decent improvement for Australia.

Thanks for the pictures Tobin28
And Welcome !!

I've heard people here say before that modern conventional oils need to contain a bit of Group 3 synthetic to meet the modern API and ILSAC specs. It looks like Castrol has stopped trying to hide this fact and is taking it up a notch by adding a bit more Group 3 and telling us how much better it performs because of that. Maybe the days of the pure Group 2 (& Group 1) conventionals are numbered. Everything will be a minimum of a semi-synthetic even if by a minor amount. I expect the oil companies will all still have three tiers of products, but ditinguishwd more by product name than base oil description.

Can't wait for the PQIA VOA analysis.

BTW I hear they are bringing out a GTX 15W-40 UltraClean in Oz. It should be SN and A3/B3 and just the ticket for us thickies.

Last edited:
That is cool- thanks for posting!

Its looks like just a slight 'rebranding'...the text on the back, and the label picture look very similar to current GTX packaging.

Is it just GTX with an updated label? Looking at the back of the jug,that's what it appears to be.

I don't see "conventional" or "synthetic blend" on the label. Maybe it is the blend as some suggest but they don't outright say it so they don't scare off people who avoid synthetics.

GTX Magnatec has "intelligent molecules". All they do now is "cling". With a bit of training they'll soon change the oil and filters themselves. I wonder how they'll decide when to change, and which filter and viscosity is best?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon12
I don't see "conventional" or "synthetic blend" on the label. Maybe it is the blend as some suggest but they don't outright say it so they don't scare off people who avoid synthetics.

The Castrol Australia web page list GTX 10W30 UltraClean in their semi-synthetic section, along with many of the Magnatec's.

The Mineral Oil web page has all of the other GTX's listed.

So the new UltraClean is a semi-synthetic over here, and I suspect over there too.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5DEAD6CF2F00966880258034005B0DB0/$File/BPXE-AAXEC9.pdf

Looks interesting if the price is right.

From the US PDS for the 5W30 UltraClean linked to above it says

Quote:
Castrol GTX Ultraclean's synthetic blend technology

GTX Ultraclean PDS Link

There is now a VOA of the new Castrol GTX 5W30 UltraClean semi-synthetic, thanks to member Researcher.

GTX 5W30 UltraClean

Moly is 84 ppm, Boron is 198 ppm, the detergent is Ca at 2451 ppm producing a TBN of 8.26 with Zinc close to the upper ILSAC limits at 808 ppm. The viscosity is a touch on the thick side, which I like, KV100 = 11.2 cSt.

Ref:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4507347/

Looks like a different add pack from regular GTX & GTX High Mileage sodium add pack with SDDC/MS5K which lacked moly/boron. Looks more like Edge add pack or SOPUS oil than GTX.

Last edited:
Castrol dumped sodium add packs several years ago. The 5w30 VOA looks very consistent with the PQIA's 5w20 test for additives, moly, lots of boron and loads of calcium which is where the "Ultra Clean" comes from I imagine.

Have not run any yet but was so impressed I have on deck an OCI's worth for the Focus and the Jeep, my son's girlfriends neglected/dirty Cobalt is going to get a fill of it too now that I am on the case.

It's fairly consistent with a recent (2017) analysis of GTX 5W20 (non-UltraClean) from PQIA

http://pqiadata.org/Castrol_GTX_5W20.html

Which showed no sodium, and an excellent Noack volatility of 11.6%

Castrol is keeping GTX up to date.

SR5- thanks for the links to PQIA. This is why I did the VOA's on both the older GTX 5w20 and the newer GTX Ultraclean 5w30, wanted to see if they still were similar to PQIA's testing.

I agree, it's similar enough to be the same additive pack, which is good, don't mess with success!

Oh and yes I agree there is more Boron, but a little less calcium. The boron I believe is for the cleaning and the calcium being a little less might be for those with DI engines and the LSPI (low-speed pre-ignition) issues that they think is related to calcium. Just my thoughts.

Just to bump this old thread.

Some recent big deals in Australia on GTX UltraClean 15W40 semi-synthetic (API SN and ACEA A3/B3), I pick up a 5L jug for less than $20. A great price for here.

Just used it to top up two cars that were a bit low on the stick.

Back