Purolator Boss 14610 12,044 Miles Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another example of a nice Purolator! 12,044 miles on my Murano from my sig. Oil used was PUP 10w-30 for 2 ocis. Pleats were straight, but not as laser straight as the PBL 14476 I posted last week. Pleat spacing is done nicely. ADBV was perfect with no indentation or rips. Louvers were opened up well.

Next up:

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that one either.

Another one that the tapping plate can't cut the ADBV on.

You're a brave man on the blue thing though, best of luck.

Got it for around $7 using the 40% off code for AAP.

I'm going to run the puro one for 5000 and see what's what!

It's a miracle.
grin.gif
BOSS efficiency rating is at 40 microns though, so not real impressive.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's a miracle.
grin.gif

Hmm. I thought the BOSS was 99%+ at 25 microns?? I might have wished/imagined it. Now, I can't find any BOSS literature that says at what particle size this 99%+ was measured at. Boo!
Got any links to the 40 micron number??

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
It's a miracle.
grin.gif

Hmm. I thought the BOSS was 99%+ at 25 microns?? I might have wished/imagined it. Now, I can't find any BOSS literature that says at what particle size this 99%+ was measured at. Boo!

Per phone call to Purolator Tech Dept.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...tor#Post4090512

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
It's a miracle.
grin.gif

Per phone call to Purolator Tech Dept.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4090512/Called_the_&quot%3bPurolator#Post4090512

Thanks for the link. Interesting discussion there to say the least.

How well organized is this filter efficientcy stuff ? Say, even compared to motor oil. For example, looking at the internals of the Fram Ultra and the Wix XP - it is hard to understand the negatives posted here wrt the XP ...
Should we be left to assume XP is more free flowing ?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
How well organized is this filter efficientcy stuff ? Say, even compared to motor oil. For example, looking at the internals of the Fram Ultra and the Wix XP - it is hard to understand the negatives posted here wrt the XP ...
Should we be left to assume XP is more free flowing ?

If the efficiency is give along with a corresponding particle size and with an associated ISO test spec, then it's about as "organized" as it gets. If a filter manufacturer gives an efficiency without an associated particle size and/or test spec, then you don't have enough information to really know what's going on.

You can't tell how efficient and oil filter or how well it flows just by looking at it. It needs to be tested to determine all of that. But in general, a filter that is less efficient probably does has less delta-p per GPM of flow through the media. But it is possible to have very high efficiency and still have very good flow - like this older PureOne that is 99% @ 20 microns. A full synthetic media filter should flow as good or even better than this. The XP gets negative comments because it's efficiency is way behind all the other full synthetic filters on the market.

Originally Posted By: Izb
This is Purolator One PL14610.
Purolator BOSS is PBL14610.

Better go back and have a better read of the first post.

The Boss is the one he cut open, the ONE is "next up".

This is a picture of a Mercedes Mann filter. I believe the Boss uses the same media. I bought a Boss to try, pretty impressed with the heaviness, not that it makes a difference to motor oil. I figure if MB approves it, they must have tested it being OCD as they are. The Boss model pictured by the OP has an adbv not prone to cutting at all.

DSCN1697_zpsse2qcgk6.jpg

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
This is a picture of a Mercedes Mann filter. I believe the Boss uses the same media. I bought a Boss to try, pretty impressed with the heaviness, not that it makes a difference to motor oil. I figure if MB approves it, they must have tested it being OCD as they are. The Boss model pictured by the OP has an adbv not prone to cutting at all.

DSCN1697_zpsse2qcgk6.jpg

Astute observation!

This one looks excellent at 12k miles.

The adbv/baseplate design on the 14610s doesn't force direct pressure on the central portion of the adbv from the inlet holes. M&H Puro should use this design or similar on every application.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That looks like a much improved example to some we've seen.

It does, but Purolator won't be seeing any more of my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back