'10 Genesis Coupe V6 Edge EP 5w20 (9,042 mile run)

Status
Not open for further replies.
12-28-16%20Oil%20Analysis_zpsfiauvcgb.png

4th report for my 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 3.8 Track Edition at 147,632 miles (now at 151k...long Christmas road trip). Other reports were with all 5w20's and OEM filter (in order) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (11k run), Edge EP (8.3k run), and standard Mobil 1 (6.6k run). My vehicle has an aftermarket AEM cold air intake with a dryflow filter and a water resistant wrap (acts as a pre-filter), and an ECU tune. Vehicle sees mostly highway usage along with a WOT pull to 6,000rpm every time it is fully warmed up. On average I do a few hundred miles per month on the Texas toll roads cruising around 100mph (moderate-high load at moderate-high speed).

Frequently use MMO in the fuel, although not consistently with every tank, it is run in at least half of them at the recommended dosage of 4oz/10gal. Also used the Gumout PEA-based DI cleaner in the intake to clean the valves on this oil run, and one of their PEA based injector cleaners. None of these cleaners seem to have any effect on, or presence in the report. I drive on average 600 miles of highway a week for work, and just got back from a 3,500 mile road trip for Christmas using Mobil 1 EP which I will have a report for in a few months. Trying to determine what oil wears best in the 3.8 Genesis engine.

Feedback/criticism/comments welcomed.

My experience is once you've gone the Ti pack you stay the Ti pack. You cant go back without the engine sounding like it will implode.

Great results - those highway miles aren't hurting it. What kind of RPM are you turning on your 100mph cruising?

I don't know why they suggest going to 11K miles next time.
To me 9K was the sweet spot and mileage doesn't go backwards in time.
Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My experience is once you've gone the Ti pack you stay the Ti pack. You cant go back without the engine sounding like it will implode.
Although Edge is my preferred oil and I *feel* it runs smoothest and best in my engine, I have no noticed really any sound difference with the M1 EP without Ti.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Great results - those highway miles aren't hurting it. What kind of RPM are you turning on your 100mph cruising?
About 3,750rpm.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I don't know why they suggest going to 11K miles next time.
To me 9K was the sweet spot and mileage doesn't go backwards in time.
Thanks for sharing.
I'm going to try 10k on this current run of M1 EP to determine if that's going to be my oil of choice or Edge EP. The 11k was the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and I just don't think it is formulated as well for this engine. Then again, I did get bored and drive at like 5,000rpm for a while one day on that sample...

Last edited:
Woops...I posted in the general questions page and not the UOA...message sent to moderator. [censored].

All of That, because of 20 to 50 ppm of Ti? Really?

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini

All of That, because of 20 to 50 ppm of Ti? Really?

I think it's safe to assume the titanium-based additive package that contains the Ti picked up on analysis is more than 20-50ppm by volume and that castrol doesn't just add 20-50PPM of titanium shavings and call it a day.

Last edited:
Don't listen to ArcoGraphite as he's managed to blow a few engines in his era.

Nothing wrong with M1 EP oils as I have 8quarts of m1 0w20EP courtesy of Autozone blowout $2/quart

Got a couple jugs of the Edge HM 5W-30 lined up to go into my Lexus soon. Just going to run it 5,000 miles. Pretty sure I should be OK with that many miles. Don't want to chance it going over 5,000 without an oil analysis. Eventually, I will send a sample off for analysis, but don't want to do it on the first run of Edge HM. Just hoping it looks as good as your analysis.

Thanks for your contributions.
thumbsup2.gif

My observations:

When you change oil, you leave a lot of old oil in the sump, as evidenced by Titanium showing up on your past 11k Ultra run (1/3 of your last oil change was still in there).

Use a Fram Ultra and maybe the insolubles will go down to 0.1

Castrol Edge seems to be the best oil so far here, as Pennzoil Ultra got a little thick (oxidation).

Titanium works synergistically, so no worries with Ti mixed in with other oils, despite ArcoGraphite tweeting recklessly like he was a pres-elect here....

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Am I reading right that you got 791 Ca with your first run of 5W20 Edge EP and now 1722 with your second run of that oil?

They've been changing their formulations in that amount of time. Its right. Castrol is changing.
Wondering if they will go back to their old magnesium-dominant detergent package now that LSPI is a thing with dexos and the coming GF-6. Heard calcium can hurt LSPI performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Am I reading right that you got 791 Ca with your first run of 5W20 Edge EP and now 1722 with your second run of that oil?

They've been changing their formulations in that amount of time. Its right. Castrol is changing.
Wondering if they will go back to their old magnesium-dominant detergent package now that LSPI is a thing with dexos and the coming GF-6. Heard calcium can hurt LSPI performance.

That is exactly why I look carefully at the Ca numbers! My car was recalled for LSPI.
I did notice that the Castrol Edge 5W30 in the PQIA's roundup of synths in 2013 showed very low Ca, but also heard that it was reformulated with more at a later date...guess your results confirm that! AFAIK, most of the Mobil 1 line is still low calcium (believe the 0W40 is not).

As long as all the new oils pass the Jan 2017 dexos1 LSPI spec. Said oils should hit the shelf in a few months after current stock is depleted. Maybe that will fix all LSPI DI woes.

My observations:

When you change oil, you leave a lot of old oil in the sump, as evidenced by Titanium showing up on your past 11k Ultra run (1/3 of your last oil change was still in there).

Use a Fram Ultra and maybe the insolubles will go down to 0.1

Castrol Edge seems to be the best oil so far here, as Pennzoil Ultra got a little thick (oxidation).

Titanium works synergistically, so no worries with Ti mixed in with other oils, despite ArcoGraphite tweeting recklessly like he was a pres-elect here....

There's only about 1/2-3/4qt maximum left in the engine when I drain it. I even measured the amount that drained out. Also, there is a TSB about using non-OEM oil filters with the Hyundai engines because it can cause some minor issues, so I've been sticking to the OEM one. With insolubles at 0.3% it's splitting hairs. Though, if they finally release a Purolator Boss for it, I might go for it. In the spirit of keeping all things the same and testing only the oil, I stuck with OEM as well. Plus, the guys on the Genesis forums have been adamant about 3-5k oil changes and claiming the OEM filter isn't very good, so I did this as well. Already have 3,500 miles on my next oil fill in the past 2 1/2 weeks due to a road trip, and at 600 ish miles a week, it won't be too long before I have the next results.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
My observations:

There's only about 1/2-3/4qt maximum left in the engine when I drain it. I even measured the amount that drained out.

Wow that's weird because so much titanium showed up in your Pennz Ultra oil you would think it had to come from the old Castrol Edge oil.
...Unless, and this must be the only explanation, the titanium stuck to the surface of the internal engine metal when you drained the Castrol Edge. This way the titanium would actually show up on the Ultra analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back