Rural King branded Exide batteries

Last Sunday afternoon, I planned on driving the motorhome (V-10 Ford) the 15 miles to its winter retreat, in one of my cousin's 40'x100' machine sheds. I'd already performed all of the necessary winterization, it was down to just driving it out to the farm, and backing it into the shed.

Unfortunately, I discovered that the AAP Autocraft Gold 34/78 dual terminal battery under the hood had dropped a cell. It wouldn't even spin the starter, and was at 10.7 volts with a multimeter. It had a "7/11" sticker on it, so it had been in service for 5 years. I would assume that the previous owner had put it in before heading down to Florida, in late 2011.

We have a regional farm supply store (Rural King), that sells Exide batteries with a 1 year free / 5 year pro-rated warranty for $49, which is the same price as the Wal*Mart Value batteries (with 1 year free replacement only). RK also offers a 34/78 dual terminal (650CCA) at this $49 price (Wal-Mart doesn't).

Even though the 34/78 dual terminal is not the OE fitment here (a group 65 is), I prefer the DT units whenever one fits. Once can always pull it out, and drop it in something else in an emergency. Even though I have a mix of GM, Ford, and Chrysler, that 34/78 DT would fit in everything that I own.

So, I went and bought one, and installed it. The V-10 quickly roared to life, and it is now in winter storage. The stickers on it indicated that it was manufactured 9/16, and shipped 10/16. Plenty fresh, as Rural King probably sells a lot of them at that price point.

So, for $49 with a 5 year warranty... I'm willing to see how long it lasts (even with it being an Exide). The motorhome is not used during periods of extreme temperatures. It is never used in temperatures above 90 degrees, or below 50 degrees, and it isn't exposed to high underhood temperatures.

http://www.ruralking.com/battery-650-cca-34-78-dt.html

I bought a RK battery for my tractor the other day. Be careful. I noticed many batteries, especially the smaller batteries (24 and smaller) were made in China. And the wording says something like; Designed by Exide. I was lucky and was able to find a RK battery made in the US.

I have a Rural King Exide Group 35 battery in the Matrix which was installed a little over 4 years ago. Today I topped it off with some distilled water for the first time. At the one year mark or so the battery was getting some of the green fuzz on the positive terminal but it hasn't come back since installing some NOCO Felt Battery washers from Walmart for $4. It has seen temps from negative 10 or so all the way up to 100 and gets used daily. Hope to get another year out of it. Not too shabby.

I would have jumped it, stored it, and put a fresh battery in next Spring. That way the battery would be 1/2 a year newer for the next several years.

But $49 is not a bad solution, either.

Had yet another battery (this time in the Sierra) take a dump Monday afternoon... the truck was sitting on a driveway, 25 miles from home, in the pouring rain. Of course. My sister was driving it, while I did a four corner (pads and rotors) brake job on her Subaru.

I put a battery charger on it with a 50 amp booster and got it to start. I wasn't in the mood to get soaked, while trying to jump start it.

Another one of these $49 Rural King 34/78 Dual Terminal batteries went into it. The stickers on the case stated that it was both manufactured and shipped in December, 2016. We've already had an early and hard cold snap... so all of the older stock batteries have been cleared out.
smile.gif

The battery that failed was a 70 month old East Penn-Deka... that had a 72 month warranty. It had served its time well.

While I was at Rural King, and standing next to the rack with the batteries on it, I actually grabbed two of these fresh $49 34/78DT's, and put the second one in my Silverado, last night. It had a 76 month old East Penn Deka battery in it, so it had also served me well.

So, now I'm running three of these $49.99 Rural King batteries. Time will tell. If these batteries were $74.99 each, I wouldn't be buying them. But $49.99, with a 12 month free replacement / 60 month pro-rated warranty, is just too cheap to pass up on.

So, how did this turn out?

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Had yet another battery (this time in the Sierra) take a dump Monday afternoon... the truck was sitting on a driveway, 25 miles from home, in the pouring rain. Of course. My sister was driving it, while I did a four corner (pads and rotors) brake job on her Subaru.

I put a battery charger on it with a 50 amp booster and got it to start. I wasn't in the mood to get soaked, while trying to jump start it.

Another one of these $49 Rural King 34/78 Dual Terminal batteries went into it. The stickers on the case stated that it was both manufactured and shipped in December, 2016. We've already had an early and hard cold snap... so all of the older stock batteries have been cleared out.
smile.gif

The battery that failed was a 70 month old East Penn-Deka... that had a 72 month warranty. It had served its time well.

While I was at Rural King, and standing next to the rack with the batteries on it, I actually grabbed two of these fresh $49 34/78DT's, and put the second one in my Silverado, last night. It had a 76 month old East Penn Deka battery in it, so it had also served me well.

So, now I'm running three of these $49.99 Rural King batteries. Time will tell. If these batteries were $74.99 each, I wouldn't be buying them. But $49.99, with a 12 month free replacement / 60 month pro-rated warranty, is just too cheap to pass up on.

Unfortunately, they aren't that cheap anymore.

Exide can be had with a 3 year warranty for $129. They're cutting corners somewhere at that price. Thing is, if you buy a battery from Home Depot, it'll be dusty and have a date code of like a year ago on it. And you know they don't rotate/charge them lol.

I paid $55 for my (smaller) group 35s bought last spring/summer at RK. They’re still going strong in the 1963 Cadillac and 2003 Corolla. I never bothered to check who made the batteries. Today I’ll be heading to Sam’s club since there’s there’s no RK near me, and my riding mower battery is done for. Sam’s seems to have the best balance of price/quality and more than 230 CCA for my application (Duracell-branded Deka 300 CCA).

Exide can be had with a 3 year warranty for $129. They're cutting corners somewhere at that price. Thing is, if you buy a battery from Home Depot, it'll be dusty and have a date code of like a year ago on it. And you know they don't rotate/charge them lol.

Basically, you are going to get what you pay for.
While I'm far from being a fan of the company formerly known as Exide, a battery with a 12/60 warranty at that pricepoint, is certainly worth a look (or even a gamble.)
Certainly no worse than the Wally Value battery, nor any less of a value.
However, at their current price, not so much.

Back