Red Purolator sold at Advance Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not kept up to date with all that has occured transformed with purolator filters.

I was going to buy a M1 oil + filter special from advance, but it comes with a red purolator?

Is the red purolator a bad filter?

You may want to step up to one of Purolator's better oil filters if you're using M1. Either the Purolator ONE(a.k.a. PureONE) or Purolator BOSS(a.k.a. Synthetic).

I don't think that the RED can is a BAD filter persay however, the RED filter is the standard filter previously known as the Purolator Classic. And before that it was known as the Purolator Premium Plus. Prior to that even, it was just known as PUROLATOR. All 3 were perviously the WHITE can filter.

I believe that Purolator has made some changes to all of their filters to improve quality and the tearing issues with some of their previous line of filters. I've never noticed any tearing in the Classic or PureONE that I used previously and had cut open.

Last edited:
Red is the new white, Purolator's lowest tier filter. I have seen two threads here where the new red filters tore.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
I have not kept up to date with all that has occured transformed with purolator filters.

I was going to buy a M1 oil + filter special from advance, but it comes with a red purolator?

Is the red purolator a bad filter?
If you're using a thin/low viscosity oil (like a synthetic 5W30 or thinner), and you are easy on the throttle until warmed up, and you don't mind your ADBV sliced up by razor sharp tapping plate burrs...nevermind, it's not a very good filter! See if they'll let you upgrade to the M1 filter, IMO ALL Puro filters are risky, even the Boss.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You may want to step up to one of Purolator's better oil filters if you're using M1. Either the Purolator ONE(a.k.a. PureONE) or Purolator BOSS(a.k.a. Synthetic).

I don't think that the RED can is a BAD filter persay however, the RED filter is the standard filter previously known as the Purolator Classic. And before that it was known as the Purolator Premium Plus. Prior to that even, it was just known as PUROLATOR. All 3 were perviously the WHITE can filter.

I believe that Purolator has made some changes to all of their filters to improve quality and the tearing issues with some of their previous line of filters. I've never noticed any tearing in the Classic or PureONE that I used previously and had cut open.

How long are your OCIs?
They are not supposed to tear, even when used for two OCIs.
YES, there are posts/threads here where tearing is still occurring - even only one OCI. Heck, I use basic AC Delco PF61 for 10K and no tearing occurs. The AC is the same price as Purolator Red/Classics. Pure Ones are supposed to be a step-up and certainly not, if they tear.

I would ask the counter clerk if I could swap the red Purolator for another brand - even pay the difference in-price.

Last edited:
I would not use a Puro red or blue, and only a boss (which is not exactly the same thing as a Purolator Synthetic) if it was REALLY cheap (like free).

Yes, the Purolator Red is a terrible filter.

I don't see M1 on sale in AAP's circular, but they do have the Mopbil Super Synthetic (which is NOT the same as M1--rather, it's more on par with QSUD, Havoline, Synpower, and house brand synthetics)

But of the AAP specials, I'd rather use PP since it's on rebate. And if you don't like rebates, get the CQ house brand syn, which is Wolf's Head, and save a few dollars
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

How long are your OCIs?
They are not supposed to tear, even when used for two OCIs.
YES, there are posts/threads here where tearing is still occurring - even only one OCI. Heck, I use basic AC Delco PF61 for 10K and no tearing occurs. The AC is the same price as Purolator Red/Classics. Pure Ones are supposed to be a step-up and certainly not, if they tear.

I would ask the counter clerk if I could swap the red Purolator for another brand - even pay the difference in-price.

Mine haven't torn as I stated! My OCI's are between 5-8K miles depending on dino or syn oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Why use a Purolator at all when Fram Ultra is around, ez to get?

Why?

Becuase like I said in the first post, it is part of thespecial....5 quarts M1 and a red puro!

thats why

Why?

Becuase like I said in the first post, it is part of thespecial....5 quarts M1 and a red puro!

thats why
It might as well be an empty red oil filter can

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Mine aren't torn either. But why should you or I "roll the dice"?
Why not just buy a brand that has no issues? Makes sense to me.

I do use other brands.
smile.gif

However, I did have a stash to use up and now that they're gone, I have used some Bosch & FRAM. I will probably stay with the more trustworthy brands but will still continue to use a Purolator ONE or BOSS, Fram ULTRA, Bosch D+ or whatever I can get based on availability & price.

Why?

thats why

Is it Mobil 1 or Mobil Super?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I would not use a Puro red or blue, and only a boss (which is not exactly the same thing as a Purolator Synthetic) if it was REALLY cheap (like free).

Pretty much sums it up for me too. We've seen so many recent situations with these "new" Puro filters, regardless of the line, where the ADBV was punctured. Are the tears from hellacious burrs around the base plate holes? Sub par materials? Either way, no thank you.

The only Puro Boss I'd run are the cartridge, Made in Germany, rebadged Mann+Hummels. The only thing Purolator did was put them in a box with their name on it.. hopefully they can get that right at least. As far as the lower tiered filters, I am not sure if Mann+Hummel makes those or not..

I wish they made one for the Volvo in my signature. I can never take advantage of the sales for this reason. Their house brand 5w40 with a filter upgrade to the Boss would be a screaming deal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back