6.4 Liter Hemi-2nd oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 8,000 miles on my daily driver Charger Scat Pack and will be doing my an oil change soon. I changed out the factory fill at about 4,000 miles and used the Pennzoil SRT Ultra Platinum 0w-40 oil with a SRT(Viper) oil filter. For this change I want to try Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40. Filter will be Fram Ultra. Any thoughts on which oil the Hemi will like better?

All the Mopar guys I know at the track use Mobil 1 0w40 and swear by it. Not a big sample pool, but these guys are throwing down 12's and 11's, so their engines are putting in work.

I'm sure the Castrol is good as well, but I've mostly seen Chargers and Challenger Hellcats and SRT Hemis using Mobil.

What's the verbiage in your manual regarding using an approved oil? I believe the only oil that is approved for that application at this time is the SRT Pennzoil stuff.

Either will be fine but as a guy that ran M1 30 and 40 for decades and loved it, I've switched all but my benzes, that require 229.52 over to PP, and my vehicles like it.

The GTL process seems to have an edge in purity.

UD

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What's the verbiage in your manual regarding using an approved oil? I believe the only oil that is approved for that application at this time is the SRT Pennzoil stuff.

+1 on this. Switch to Mobil 1 once your warranty is up if you want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
M1 0w40 also utilizes GTL technology fwiw. It's what I'd use...

sweet... when did this start?

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

Quite some time back. I created a thread about it in the Euro oil section.

page 199 states "use 7 quarts of SAE 0w-40 sythetic API certified oil"

page 202 states "The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 or equivalent MOPAR engine oil meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temps"

I would think the key word is recommends vs requires Ultra so I wouldn't think there should be any warranty concerns with either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.

Originally Posted By: legandrex
page 199 states "use 7 quarts of SAE 0w-40 sythetic API certified oil"

page 202 states "The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 or equivalent MOPAR engine oil meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temps"

I would think the key word is recommends vs requires Ultra so I wouldn't think there should be any warranty concerns with either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.

Yep, that's appropriately vague and in-line with the verbiage in my manual as well. This means that Mobil 1 0w-40 FS or Castrol 0w-40 would work as appropriate replacements for the SRT product.

Especially hilarious when you consider that M1 0W-40 is written on my 6.1's cap!

Other than fuel dilution from radical tuning I can't really see an average SRT needing much special lubrication unless you are at the road course...

Ordered a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w-40 from amazon for $25 and change with our prime account. Have 4 quarts of that in my stash from my old GTI so will go with the Mobil this time and maybe try the Castrol next time. Doubt I will go back to the SRT Pennzoil at almost $20 extra per 5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

Quite some time back. I created a thread about it in the Euro oil section.

Great data, gonna read up thanks!

UD

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Why not stick with the Ultra?

Mostly because I can get the Mobil 1 for about $20-25 less per oil change. If comparable to the Mobil 1 why spend the extra coin...could use it for rear tires and gas lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back