Bosch will be making an iridium spark plug for the

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford 3-valve V8's using that stupid 2-piece spark plug that breaks all the time. Part number 96322. I don't think it's out yet, but Rock Auto has a listing for it saying out-of-stock.

It will probably be made in Germany, and since it's iridium, should easily give you 100k with no problems.

Now if only NGK and Denso would make spark plugs for these trucks!

Why? Champion already made a one piece long life plug when this issue popped up. Seems Bosch is a little late to the game.

I need to replace the spark plugs in this type Ford engine.
Any better available choices other than the Motorcraft?
I have read the TSB on removing them, a very poor design plug.
Are the new Motorcraft plugs two piece?

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
I need to replace the spark plugs in this type Ford engine.
Any better available choices other than the Motorcraft?
I have read the TSB on removing them, a very poor design plug.
Are the new Motorcraft plugs two piece?

Use the Champion plugs. They are one piece and don't mess up like the autolite/MC plugs.

Some have had issues with getting misfire codes after installing the Champions. Allegedly the misfire detection system doesn't play well with the Champion plugs some times.

Iridium would be nice. Sure would make it so you didn't have to go back in there for the longest period possible. That alone makes them worth considering if they will play well with the misfire detection.

I just put Bosch 9610 double iridiums in a VW, Made in Germany and appear to be very high quality construction. The one thing that stands out is the iridium ground pad is welded recessed in the strap not welded on it where it is susceptible to blowing off.
They run smooth with a zero misfire count and are lower priced than the NGK laser iridiums seemingly without any compromise.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/spark-plugs/double-iridium-pin-to-pin

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Some have had issues with getting misfire codes after installing the Champions. Allegedly the misfire detection system doesn't play well with the Champion plugs some times.

Iridium would be nice. Sure would make it so you didn't have to go back in there for the longest period possible. That alone makes them worth considering if they will play well with the misfire detection.

I've used quite a few champion plugs in the Fords with no issues. Started using them as soon as they came out as I did not want anything to do with autolite/mc plugs.

Even ford has dumped autolite after this mess. The updated 3v engines use a smaller Japanese made plug. I think they are denso.

The spark plugs in that particular engine were 2 parts. Porcelain base with platinum tip. As miles accumulate, carbon builds up in the plug cylinders. Try and remove it and the porcelain snaps and the tip is still in the engine. You=[censored]. That's why you wanna change the plugs early with this engine.

There was a class action suit against Ford and their spark plugs. I told my buddy as he paid $600 to change the plugs. then he told me nothing went wrong, that was just the price of a normal spark plug service. I threw up in my mouth a little...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
I wouldn't even use a bosch plug in my lawnmower.
I used Bosch in my Volvos and my BMW bikes and was never pleased with them. My SAABs came with NGK. I've used them, or Denso ever since. I did try Bosch "+4" in one SAAB and went right back to NGK. For a company with as much experience in the plug business as Bosch, the "+4" was a bust, at least in my case.

Internet folklore. They may or may not have had bad pugs years and years ago.........

Bosch...the plugs the Internet loves to bash!

Originally Posted By: CKN

Internet folklore. They may or may not have had bad pugs years and years ago.........

There's no such thing as bad pugs, only bad pug owners......

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: CKN

There's no such thing as bad pugs, only bad pug owners......

There you go. Got to watch out for those pugs. Gotta love not hitting a key and the spell checker doesn't catch it...well cause it's a pug!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I used Bosch in my Volvos and my BMW bikes and was never pleased with them. My SAABs came with NGK. I've used them, or Denso ever since. I did try Bosch "+4" in one SAAB and went right back to NGK. For a company with as much experience in the plug business as Bosch, the "+4" was a bust, at least in my case.

the 4-ground electrode did work, at least with NGK's that Audi specified them for some of their engines.

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/SparkPlug-NGK-OEM-4-electrode-Audi-B6-B7-S4.html

audi_v8_ngk_101905616.jpg

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

the 4-ground electrode did work, at least with NGK's that Audi specified them for some of their engines.

The Bosch +4 is of a different design than Audi's OEM 4-prong NGK's. There are also plenty of Denso OE 2-prong plugs in Toyotas throughout the 90s that work great.

The +4 is not OE in any engine.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The Bosch +4 is of a different design than Audi's OEM 4-prong NGK's. There are also plenty of Denso OE 2-prong plugs in Toyotas throughout the 90s that work great.

The +4 is not OE in any engine.

the issue with the aftermarket Bosch platinum was the (they bragged about it) was the use of a completely platinum alloy core/center electrode vs the copper alloy core on Denso & NGK.

the issue with the aftermarket Bosch platinum was the (they bragged about it) was the use of a completely platinum alloy core/center electrode vs the copper alloy core on Denso & NGK.

ding ding ding!

My dad swore by those - they did work great for the 1st year they are installed, but thanks to electrode erosion they wore out quick and caused weird things to happen. Bosch's "OE" plugs: the Super/Silver series and the OE Finewire plugs work decently well.
Bosch does supply a different plug for Mercedes and VW in the Super series with larger electrodes. The aftermarket ones are made in India or Russia, not sure if they still make the OEM-spec copper plugs in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back