HYUNDAI I30 DIESEL RUNNING ROUGH EGR /02 SENSOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi not sure if this is in correct forum but anyhow:

i have a 2012 Hyundai i30 Turbo diesel. I bought the vehicle and a short time later had to replace turbo: not happy!
I had turbo replaced under warranty (lucky!)and i put it down to air filter not being changed causing a vacuum to be created and then sucked oil past turbo seals. The vehicle runs rough low down but goes great at speed generally with rpm above 1700 rpm. The dealer now says its contaminated fuel which its not! ( have cleaned tank replaced filter etc.
I do know quite a bit about cars so i then took the job on.

I have cleaned egr valve, maf sensor and manifold pressure (also swapped these with another good known car). If i disconnect the electrical connector on the egr valve the car runs very smooth but down on power but is drive able. I feel it goes into limp mode.

The oxygen sensor sensor is the only part i cant change over(other car uses different part number)
Can the o2 sensor be cleaned? . I don't want to spend big bucks on a new sensor to only find it didn't fix it
. As the turbo seals failed large amounts of engine oil entered to inlet manifold and massive clouds of smoke came out the exhaust ( i was lucky i got to stop the engine run-on before it got to destroy itself)

Any help?

Does this engine have swirl valves in the intake?

In my experience, they all are pretty lame below 1700 rpm, but they shouldn't be rough. you can try removing the o2 sensor, yes. clean it with a gas torch.

No DPF?

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.htm...-2&A=108105

Closed loop oxygen control is used for short- and long-term adaptation learning of the injected fuel quantity. This is especially important in limiting smoke output, where the measured exhaust gas oxygen is compared with a target value on a smoke limitation map. Oxygen sensor feedback is also used to determine whether the target exhaust gas recirculation is being achieved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I have never heard of a diesel having an O2 sensor before.

My 2004 VW had one, first year in the USA for the tdi's. Was used for the EGR system, and was a wideband sensor. No post cat sensor; no idea if the latest and greatest use pre and post but given the lean nature of diesels I suspect not.

Originally Posted By: supton

My 2004 VW had one, first year in the USA for the tdi's. Was used for the EGR system, and was a wideband sensor. No post cat sensor; no idea if the latest and greatest use pre and post but given the lean nature of diesels I suspect not.

they do in euro 6 diesels, especially hyundais. 5 sensors in the exhaust now...

A lot of common rail engines have problems with injector seals, with Toyota and Kia it's a 40,000km maintenance issue. On the Kia Sorrento the first thing to go out with injector seal leakage is the turbo. Kia....Hyundai - I'd be looking to see if injector seals are a problem with these engines.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

5? Yikes!

Originally Posted By: Silk
A lot of common rail engines have problems with injector seals, with Toyota and Kia it's a 40,000km maintenance issue. On the Kia Sorrento the first thing to go out with injector seal leakage is the turbo. Kia....Hyundai - I'd be looking to see if injector seals are a problem with these engines.

Haven't had any issues with a U-engine diesel like this one, but with the A-engines it's definitely a BIG issue. That said, it's cheap to replace them anyway.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

5? Yikes!

yes, 2 temperature sensors, 2 o2 sensors (1 broadband) and a differential pressure sensor. I think cars with adblue have even more. There's sensors in every section of the exhaust, barthe last (I hope). Guess the chance of getting any of them out in 1 piece after 3 or more years?

With the O2 sensor being a voltage output device it should be pretty easy to see if it is working correctly by looking at the voltage.

not really, if you don't know what you should be seeing... besides a narrow band o2 sensor can only distinguish between rich and lean, what if that transitio doesn't happen correctly? with a petrol you'll get slow cycling, but not so on a diesel.

Is it a narrow band? If it's a Wideband then you can calculate the AFR from the voltage directly as well as see the response time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back