Transmission worry - 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD (A760H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there BITOG,

I have a 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD with just under 50,000 miles. Up here in Canada, Toyota/Lexus recommends 60,000 mile transmission fluid intervals for most older vehicles with the A760 transmission; this would include the Lexus GS300 and GS350 from years 2006 to 2009, the IS350 from the same era, the LS430 from model years 2004-2006 (equipped with the A761), and the Toyota Sequoia and Tundra from 2010.

A strange thing happened around model year 2010, though. The A760E/H/F transmission, which has used Toyota WS transmission fluid basically since the very beginning, went from needing 60,000 mile transmission fluid changes to not needing transmission fluid changes at all. Did the fluid change? No. Did the transmission change? Not to my knowledge. (The differential fluid did the same thing; changes every 40,000 miles changed to "lifetime" fill, seemingly without any change to the differentials or their design.)

So what gives? Why does this no longer need fluid changes? I'm perturbed by this - while it might save me money in the short term, I see very little reason why transmission fluid or differential fluid should have miraculously changed from one year to the next to become seemingly indestructible, far unlike any other fluid one puts in a car.

My questions, therefore, are as follows:
1) Is assuming a lifetime fill for a transmission really reasonable?
2) Is the old 60,000 mile interval for transmission fluid change reasonable, or should a more or less frequent schedule be used?
3) If I do have my transmission fluid changed, should I continue to use Toyota WS fluid?
4) If I do have my transmission fluid changed, what should I request from the dealer? The initial fill (1.7 quarts) is around a sixth of the size of the entire 10.8 quart sump, so I'm not sure if I have to request anything special.

I would really appreciate the help. I really do love this car, I drive it a lot (20,000 miles a year at least) and I want to make sure that I don't end up blowing up my transmission on account of neglect, arrogance or stupidity.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: David_Corbett

1) Is assuming a lifetime fill for a transmission really reasonable? Yes and No (depends on how long you plan to own, and most owners wont touch it if it says "lifetime". If you dont ever change it will anything bad happen? I guess the answer is maybe.. not sure the trans will fail based on fluid.. if it does.. at how many miles will it?
2) Is the old 60,000 mile interval for transmission fluid change reasonable, or should a more or less frequent schedule be used? 60k miles is reasonable although since only drain and fill, you can do it more frequently.
3) If I do have my transmission fluid changed, should I continue to use Toyota WS fluid? Yes
4) If I do have my transmission fluid changed, what should I request from the dealer? The initial fill (1.7 quarts) is around a sixth of the size of the entire 10.8 quart sump, so I'm not sure if I have to request anything special. Drain and fill is what I believe they do, so all fluid will not be replaced unless pan drop and fluid flush (which I personally wouldnt do..)

I dont think anything bad will happen if you leave the fluid in for 200k miles... personally I would do drain and fills myself.. but if you do them at the dealer, every 60k miles is fine to maintain the transmission. (I also replied to each question, see above)

Last edited:
Transmission can, and do grenade for total lack of, or delay of oil change.
No transmission would grenade, for 'unneccesary' oil change.
Assumption: correct spec'ed oil being used.

This seems to be pretty common. Mercedes did it too with their transmissions and then later they went back to 39k fluid changes when it was originally supposed to be filled for life. Maybe they mean the life of the first lease/ower or the maximum life of their warranty.

Having just paid for a tranny rebuild I would think that having the fluid changed at 60k would be in your favor if they come to the conclusion that they were wrong and should be changed.

I'd stick with the 60,000mi replacement interval. Seems reasonable since WS turns into putrid turd [censored] before 100,000mi. If it's still under warranty I would stick with the WS fluid. If you are willing to experiment I would try Valvoline Maxlife. I maintain a 2004 Lexus LS430 and I wanted to go with Maxlife since the car is 12 years old on the original WS fluid but it isn't my car to experiment with. The car had less than about 99,000mi when I did a filter change + 14qts fluid exchange and the original fluid was bad.

Of course it's a lifetime fluid. When the trans breaks, the fluid made it until the end of the lifetime, right? I mean, I bet that fluid will still be in the pan...

Fluid is better than ever, but I'd just change it every 50k. Automakers would love for you to buy new long before 150k.

I forget if I have an A760 or not (and I suspect all of them are rather similar). My fluid was a bit darker than I cared for, but I didn't drive it for the first 73k. I did a bit over half of the fluid, changing to Maxlife, then have done mostly highway since then. Appears pretty red still, even after 50k. What color is yours now?

My mother has the exact same car, 13 GS350 AWD, it's my intent to have Lexus service the differentials transmission and transfer case every 50k, I see it as cheap insurance against expensive component failures. So far she's loved the car, I just installed her Blizak WS80 tires for their second winter.

I flushed my ES with Redline D6 via return line, I am quite happy with the fluid and would recommend it highly.

I have also flushed with RL PDF for many years and would recommend it highly too.

Two flushes and you are done gor another 60K miles.

Hello David. Did you change your transmission fluid? I changed the fluid and filter on my 2007 GS350 AWD at 62k miles. The fluid was dirty and pan magnets were full of debris. The transmission shifts like new again. I can show you pictures.
Everybody should change the Toyota WS fluid at 60k miles.

Hello there BITOG,

I have a 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD with just under 50,000 miles. Up here in Canada, Toyota/Lexus recommends 60,000 mile transmission fluid intervals for most older vehicles with the A760 transmission; this would include the Lexus GS300 and GS350 from years 2006 to 2009, the IS350 from the same era, the LS430 from model years 2004-2006 (equipped with the A761), and the Toyota Sequoia and Tundra from 2010.

A strange thing happened around model year 2010, though. The A760E/H/F transmission, which has used Toyota WS transmission fluid basically since the very beginning, went from needing 60,000 mile transmission fluid changes to not needing transmission fluid changes at all. Did the fluid change? No. Did the transmission change? Not to my knowledge. (The differential fluid did the same thing; changes every 40,000 miles changed to "lifetime" fill, seemingly without any change to the differentials or their design.)

So what gives? Why does this no longer need fluid changes? I'm perturbed by this - while it might save me money in the short term, I see very little reason why transmission fluid or differential fluid should have miraculously changed from one year to the next to become seemingly indestructible, far unlike any other fluid one puts in a car.

2) Is the old 60,000 mile interval for transmission fluid change reasonable, or should a more or less frequent schedule be used?
3) If I do have my transmission fluid changed, should I continue to use Toyota WS fluid?
4) If I do have my transmission fluid changed, what should I request from the dealer? The initial fill (1.7 quarts) is around a sixth of the size of the entire 10.8 quart sump, so I'm not sure if I have to request anything special.

I would really appreciate the help. I really do love this car, I drive it a lot (20,000 miles a year at least) and I want to make sure that I don't end up blowing up my transmission on account of neglect, arrogance or stupidity.

Thanks in advance.

Hello there BITOG,

Thanks in advance.

I'd say IF the transmission remained the same, and the fluid remained the same, and now they're saying you don't have to change the fluid for the life of the vehicle, change the fluid. My guess is someone who doesn't care about what's best for the transmission decided to call it filled for life. Either way I'd change it even IF they improved the transmission and fluid. After all it will be you footing the bill if the transmission fails, not the person claiming the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back