What are the IT oils coming into 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really been active on here for a couple years, but there's always an oil on here that's the "it" oil, or the most trendy oil at any given time. Years ago it was German Castrol. Then PYB was the holy grail. The old Pennzoil Ultra was held in extremely high regard. So what is it now?

It seems to me like SOPUS's change to natural gas caused a lot of people here to fall off the wagon. Is it me or is PYB not as popular here anymore? What took its place at the conventional ranks?

The PUP 0w40 oil is supposedly great. I nabbed some PU "euro" 5w30 from November 14 date of manufacture.

I don't care for SOPUS new bottling style

I'd say Havoline Conventional, Chevron supreme and others are becoming popular

Car51, funny you mention Chevron and Havoline because I noticed they are quite a good buy on Amazon so I was thinking of giving Havoline a shot next.

Chevron Supreme was super huge when this board was new, like 2002 era. We were stoked for the "Group II+". It was $1.08 at walmart. Those "in the know" knew Havoline was a kissing cousin, but only the Texaco stuff, not the "Equilon" group that coincidentally had rights to the name for a little bit.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Is Havoline the exact same oil as Supreme?

Per the PDS sheets on Chevrons site.
The Supreme seems to have a slight edge over Havoline. If ever so slightly.
8.4 TBN vs 7.4 TBN
Both 5W30 and 5W20 (for Supreme and Havoline) state that they are syn blends , even though they are sold/labeled as conventional.
I've had no issues running either of them.

Supreme
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=205060&docFormat=PDF
Havoline
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=310594&docFormat=PDF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
The PUP 0w40 oil is supposedly great. I nabbed some PU "euro" 5w30 from November 14 date of manufacture.

The 0w-40 is on a couple sell sheets up here, but I haven't even had the time to look over the spec sheet. I've seen the spec sheet for their Euro 5w-30 A3/B4.

Bud_One: I always wonder about spec sheets, aside from the obvious errors we see on occasion. I wonder how many times they print something that's still within the margin of error and watch BITOGers fuss over something. Every new data sheet causes some consternation here.
wink.gif

Somebody is certain to introduce something new that will be the talk of BITOG with many trying it.
There will come the next PP, G-Oil, Nextgen or Magnatec.
Some of these new introductions survive in the market and become the go-to oils for many while others fade away on the clearance racks of Walmart.

Good call car51 and SR5. I think Chevron/Havoline and Castrol Magnatec are the up and comers as well. Quaker State is another one too I believe. I really like Havoline Pro DS in my Altima 3.5 VQ. And Castrol Magnatec is quite good as well. In fact if and when I buy Castrol from now on its going to be Magnatec. I got a 5 qt container of it from Wally world several weeks ago. I may well buy some Chevron Supreme online soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back