Walmart SuperTech 5W20, 7.7kmi,'12 Kia Sportage LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP, apparently the Fram Xtended Guard (XG) oil filters have been renamed to the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. The Fram Ultra is the only Fram I would ever put on my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: mhadden
Originally Posted By: chainblu
Looks good. But now I'm wondering if it was a WPP bottle or an XOM bottle...
Explain to me the difference? I guess I've fallen off the acronym wagon. It was a dark blue bottle with black cap if that means anything.

I think SuperTech is mfg'd by different petro companies, so the source of the oil depends on region, whatever contracts WM has negotiated with providers, phases of the moon, etc. It'd be interesting to see if anyone has found a way to decode the origin based on codes printed on the bottles. OTOH, nice UOA, so who cares?

(XOM = ExxonMobil, WPP = Warren Performance Packaging, aka Warren Distribution, Warren Performance &c)

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Looks good. But now I'm wondering if it was a WPP bottle or an XOM bottle...

Originally Posted By: mhadden

Explain to me the difference? I guess I've fallen off the acronym wagon. It was a dark blue bottle with black cap if that means anything.

This is a Warren shaped bottle below:

0007450990847_500X500.jpg

This is an Exxon-Mobil shaped bottle below:

0007450991078_500X500.jpg

Which shape was your bottle?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This is a Warren shaped bottle below:

This is an Exxon-Mobil shaped bottle below:

Which shape was your bottle?

Definitely Warren.

Sorry for bumping this old thread back, but at least I 'searched' and researched
smile.gif

I am planning to use any 5W20 and 5W30 combination(2 quarts of each) by super tech or any other manufacture with OEM honda filter and 5000 OCI. Do you guys see any problem with it?

Thanks for the help.

Used WPP Walmart (and Sears which in the 90's at least was the same oil) for years, don't use it any more because a Valvoline shop gives me cheaper changes with tire rotations and WalMart's cheapest changes use Quaker State bulk rather than Super Tech anyway. My days of self changing have been dampened by old age and moving into a condo that discourages such behavior anyway.

However I always had good experiences with WPP oil. A fifteen year old UOA using ST on a 2002 Elantra is in here somewhere. If I remember right (from a decade ago), ST 5w20 dino was really semi-syn and sold as a semi-syn directly from WPP. I would have no hesitation using any Walmart oil, whether WPP or XOM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: csandste
Used WPP Walmart (and Sears which in the 90's at least was the same oil) for years, don't use it any more because a Valvoline shop gives me cheaper changes with tire rotations and WalMart's cheapest changes use Quaker State bulk rather than Super Tech anyway. My days of self changing have been dampened by old age and moving into a condo that discourages such behavior anyway.

However I always had good experiences with WPP oil. A fifteen year old UOA using ST on a 2002 Elantra is in here somewhere. If I remember right (from a decade ago), ST 5w20 dino was really semi-syn and sold as a semi-syn directly from WPP. I would have no hesitation using any Walmart oil, whether WPP or XOM.

Thanks, please forgive my ignorance what do you mean by WPP and XOM?

Noted, I'll use the oil without any hesitation.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks, please forgive my ignorance what do you mean by WPP and XOM?

XOM = Exxon Mobil
WPP = Warren Petroleum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back