New 340i xDrive w/ M Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 2017 BMW 340i xDrive. It was not the smartest decision as I am losing money on the Acura TLX it is replacing, but I'm OK with it. After lots of arguing with my service department about VCM vibrations and the quirky behavior of the 9 speed auto in the TLX, I gave up. Could I have gotten results from Acura? Most likely. Others have, but being an early adopter of the car my stress limit had already been reached before they started replacing transmissions in the 2015 models (and even now you still have to pass a burden of proof). My time is more valuable than that and I get very mad arguing things I know I'm right about with people who also know I'm right but argue anyway. This BMW is the first non Honda/Acura product of my life and its probably fair to say they didn't lose me on product, despite its issues, they lost me in the service department.

As for this BMW, it looks beautiful and drives beautifully. The powertrain is a revelation. The transmission, despite being made by the same manufacturer as the Acura, ZF, the 8AT in the BMW is unquestionably the best automatic transmission I've ever driven in any car, and that includes some dual clutch units. I have no desire for a manual with this trans. It's shifts are imperceptible and lightning quick at low-moderate throttle and at near full throttle and in sport mode it bangs off firm shifts like a champ. Then we have the new B58 engine (I6 w/ twin scroll turbo). I've yet to really exercise it but already I can tell this thing is almost stupid fast. Like the Acura, there's a learning curve to the infotainment system but it's becoming intuitive after a couple of weeks (German logic is different than Japanese/American logic). The bad? The paint. This thing has a bad paint job with excessive orange peel all over the sides of the car. Someone from BMW corporate is supposed to look at it next week.

So that's my story.

B7830371-E23A-436E-9105-3F875058069D_zpsglckqdqo.jpg

B695697A-8C1D-4B2D-84BC-D76760298BEA_zps0kbjbnzp.jpg

A461C7D4-EE1E-4FD3-B186-5C147F9730B6_zps6krqgv50.jpg

EFA42AC0-45C9-44AC-A2B2-3D7B20715746_zpszxqxqqyy.jpg

Congrats! If my 530i suddenly died and I had to get a new car to replace it today, the 340i would be it, although I'd go for the RWD version.

Does yours have the adaptive M suspension?

Nice!

Unfortunately, many new and recent BMW's have that type of factory paint job that you are describing. I doubt they'll do anything about it.

I thought something was wrong with the paint on my used '09 model when I bought it, until I looked at the new lot next door.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
nice looking.
does bmw still give you 4 colors 'free
' and charge for other colors?
'

On the current 3-series, there are just two colors (Alpine White and Jet Black) for which there is no extra charge.

Very nice! I'm afraid Acura lost you for the same reason many people ditch a vehicle or a brand -- service. Human-made products will work or not work, it's just a fact of life. How that dealership supports you is what matters. And it sounds like yours didn't; that's too bad.

Enjoy the Bimmer!

Sorry its an AT, BMW is one of the few manufacturers who gear them properly to not be tiring in traffic.

Bummer on the orange peel. If that bad I wouldn't have taken the car. No way id want to have panels "repaired" (removing clear) or refinished, taking away the quality of the baked on OE finish.

Great car otherwise, congrats!

The 340i is a great car. Now you need to add the M Performance Power and Sound kit!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

I'm a manual transmission die-hard but I love the 8 speed ZF behind the N55 or B58 motors. I also like it better than any DCT I have driven.
Congrats!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
nice looking.
does bmw still give you 4 colors 'free
' and charge for other colors?
'

On the current 3-series, there are just two colors (Alpine White and Jet Black) for which there is no extra charge.

And those are exactly the colors the used market is flooded with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back