Touring or Highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am ready to purchase new tires for my vehicle and the two models are very similar as to speed rating,wear rating and waranty. One is labeled touring for car and minivan and the other is labeled Highway for car and minivan. What might be the difference, between a tire labeled TOURING and HIGHWAY? eD

One would think Touring would have some features giving a slight edge to handling since touring tends to entail driving smaller two lane curvy scenic roads and highway would seem to indicate long haul cruising on the interstate super slabs.

Touring is a generic term for generic tires.

Highway may also be designed to be quieter. Look for a rib or ribs that don't have many cross cuts.

Pretty similar performance, "highway" is just a designation for light truck tires designed more for comfort and quiet on-road use. "touring" is a similar designation for passenger cars. Your tire size probably straddles both categories. The highway tire probably just has a higher load rating being a LT tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Generic marketing.
this thread is worthless without tire brands and models.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can comment without the specific tires involved. Pretty much speculation otherwise as that terminology can be anything from ad copy to being included in the model name of the tire.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I am ready to purchase new tires for my vehicle and the two models are very similar as to speed rating,wear rating and waranty. One is labeled touring for car and minivan and the other is labeled Highway for car and minivan. What might be the difference, between a tire labeled TOURING and HIGHWAY? eD

I suspect you're looking to get comments about tires unbiased by brand and model (which is admirable), but the commentary you have been receiving so far is spot-on. Trying to draw a distinction between the marketing terms "touring" and "highway" is like trying to describe the difference between "synthetic" and "full synthetic" motor oils.

Look for physical characteristics that differ between the two tires that can give you a clue about their design intents. Are the speed ratings the same? You said "similar", but I don't know if they're equal or not. Look also at tire weight. Look at tire construction (do both have cap plies in the tread?).

Originally Posted By: Rand
Generic marketing.
this thread is worthless without tire brands and models.

+1

I'll say it. Just buy Michelin tires. They are the tire God's gift to the automobile world. They will not let you down-unless you live in the Southwest (or Florida), then they will dry rot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT AND GENERAL AT43 were the two tires I was referring to. Both in 225/65/17 size for a Mazda CX5. Ed

I'm not sure where you are getting the *Highway* designation. Both tires are listed as *Touring* on their respective web sites.

The T-rated version of General RT43 is classified as "standard touring" by TireRack, while the H-rated version of RT43 as well as Conti TrueContact are classified as "grand touring".

Here are TR's descriptions of the two categories:

Quote:
Standard Touring All-Season
You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) along with enhanced handling and treadwear, as well as good noise and ride comfort.

Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), these tires are designed to blend a performance tire's appearance with a passenger tire's smooth, quiet ride. Standard Touring tires are typically available in the lower speed ratings and higher aspect ratio sizes and place more emphasis on ride comfort and treadwear than Grand Touring tires.

Grand Touring All-Season
You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) and responsive handling along with noise and ride comfort.

Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), these tires are designed to blend a performance tire's appearance with a passenger tire's smooth, quiet ride. Grand Touring All-Season tires are often used as Original Equipment and place more emphasis on handling and high-speed capabilities than Standard Touring tires.

I doubt these are official industry designations though. More like marketing terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back