Who makes Motorcraft oil filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Has Ford ever been notified over the Purolator media tear issues?
Have the Motorcraft lineup experienced the same tearing issues?

I have used MC filters for years and have never seen a failure of any kind.

Has Ford ever been notified over the Purolator media tear issues?
Have the Motorcraft lineup experienced the same tearing issues?

I'm guessing the Ford cuts open more MC filters on engines in development than anyone here (except maybe car51) so if there was an issue they would probably see it quickly.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I wont buy MC filters anymore. NAPA Golds only for me now.

Until Wix starts being plagued by the same issues since being bought out by the same company. The filters are already being switched over to louvers.

OK, who bought Wix and what is a louver?

Mann+Hummel (owner of purolator) bought Affina Group (maker of Wix) and completed the acquisition May 2016. Louvers are used inside a filter instead of a round punch holes. Some people fear them but if they're properly designed with a good quality control they're a much better design.

However, purolator became tearolater and made changes since Mann+Hummel bought them and it hasn't been promising.

OK, who bought Wix and what is a louver?

Must not hang out in the oil filter forum very much.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Louvers are used inside a filter instead of a round punch holes. Some people fear them but if they're properly designed with a good quality control they're a much better design.

Which basically means, only Hastings/Baldwin, since Clarcor seems to be the only company that actually knows how to properly design them.

Purolator, Wix, and Fram/Champ all have had issues with them not being opened completely.

Luckily Wix still uses round holes in the 57356, but if they switch that one to slots I'll just use Hastings. For me, it's round holes or Hastings.

Of course there's always Fram Ultra for extended drains.

To my knowledge we haven't seen a filter with louvers cut open and showed both sides of the louver to prove louvers were closed. Have we. It doesn't count if the filter hasn't been cut opened.

tig1, I would agree if it turns out we're all mistaken on the issue. But, half the battle is cosmetics. Fram got a bad rap over "cardboard end caps." They may work fine, but they can make for a pretty ugly filter. Purolator has had tearing issues. One can certainly argue that no one's every blown an engine over a torn filter. But, again, it makes for bad PR. Toss in wavy pleats with that, and we have Purolator getting hammered here, which never happened before. People don't like the look of ecores, and that's been problematic for some.

If a company wants to make terrible looking louvers and doesn't give two hoots about their quality control, they're taking a risk. Baldwin and Hastings make louvers that always look correct. If a person has to look twice and wonder and post online as to whether their filter is usable, then perhaps it's time to question whether that filter manufacturer really wants our business.

If I have to wonder whether my filter has functional louvers or has effectively a sealed centre tube, or wonder if the media is going to remain in one piece, or if the ADBV is pierced, then I'm stuck wondering about things that should have been addressed at the factory, and really should be wondering why I made the purchase. It's about customer confidence. When the P1 had great filtering numbers, robust media, straight pleats with the string tied around them, and a quality, unpierced silicone ADBV, hardly anyone questioned anything about it. Now, we have questions where there shouldn't have had any arise in the first place.

Oil filters have been around for decades, and all these techniques have been mastered. There's no reason for poor looking louvers, questions about media integrity, or pierced ADBVs.

Originally Posted By: tig1
To my knowledge we haven't seen a filter with louvers cut open and showed both sides of the louver to prove louvers were closed. Have we. It doesn't count if the filter hasn't been cut opened.

Compare a Purolator to a Hastings of the same interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back