Looking for Awd Cross/Suv with 500-mile range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DaRider34

i actually prefer the look of the crosstrek vs the forester but i dont think i could deal with 148hp coming from 274hp

I am 63, the days of me romping on the gas pedal are behind me. 148HP in the Crosstrek is fine. Its not lacking for power unless your an 18 yr old guy.

As was mentioned previously, Grand Cherokee Diesel 4WD is rated 28 mpg hwy and has a 24.6 gal tank, so that translates to a theoretical range of 689 miles. Not sure what kind of discounts you can get on it. Might have to buy used.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As was mentioned previously, Grand Cherokee Diesel 4WD is rated 28 mpg hwy and has a 24.6 gal tank, so that translates to a theoretical range of 689 miles. Not sure what kind of discounts you can get on it. Might have to buy used.

even a used regular cherokee would probably do that job with the big fuel tanks but it likely be out of my price range since i would want that traditional shifter which they switched back to in 2016.

Although looking at diesels this possible new mazda cx-5 diesel looks promising if makes 173 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque like the euro version and get like 40mpg highway.

A possibility is a used 2015 glk 250 diesel in the right price range. rated at 33mpg but has a 17.4 gal tank

Are they problem with driving diesel short distances like 10-15min other that that long trip i take most the im barely driving my car few miles each day?

A Jeep grand Cherokee 3.6 will do the range you want while giving good power and with amenities. Love our 2014 Overland 4x4. 639 miles with 3.6 and 539 with a hemi.

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/fuel/#GrandCherokee4Tab*

Chevy equinox seems to fit the bill. Awd crossover, 29mpg highway, 18.8 gal tank for theoretical 545 miles. Starts under $30. No experience with one but it fits all the check boxes you are asking for.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Is it really that big of a deal to stop for gas for 10 minutes?

Yes.

I can't count the number of times I've been in a great line of traffic only to have to get off the highway for some reason. Only to find a completely different line of traffic, moving 10mph (or more) slower, when I got back on the highway. That and picking what place to stop at it. Some exits advertise gas & food but if you stop you find that it's 5-10 minutes of driving to find where those places actually are.

We have a 3.5 hour drive we routinely take, and we try not to stop at all on it. Else it turns into 4+ hours.

That said, it truly isn't a bad idea to stop every 5 hours or so. For all the reasons stated. But it's way nicer to stop because the driver wants to stop, and not because the car needs gas.

Ya that whole "let's drive 5 hours straight with no stops" doesn't work well with young children. Although I did get a good 4 hours in on the drive to TX.

Diesel's are fuel sippers on the highway, I'd go GC because it will also be 4WD that works well offroad.

Originally Posted By: supton
I can't count the number of times I've been in a great line of traffic only to have to get off the highway for some reason.

Isn't that the pits? I used to drive I-95 fairly frequently (I'm grateful that I can say that I used to do that), and it'd be at least once per trip that I'd get in with a group of cars that all drove the same speed (though not necessarily speeding), seemed to all be alert and aware, and seemed to all have the same style. It's like an instant "bond" you have with those other drivers, almost like you're on the same sports team. I feel an irrationally large sense of disappointment when the "team" begins to split up. Someone has to exit. We get split up by other traffic. Whatever it is...

Yes, being able to drive in that stress-free environment has value to me, and it'd be a shame to have to break it on account of needing fuel.

Having said that, it's mostly a moot point for me because I travel with women...from the age of 37 to the age of 8. Potty stops are, at most, about 3 hours' time apart...

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Is it really that big of a deal to stop for gas for 10 minutes?

Yes.

I can't count the number of times I've been in a great line of traffic only to have to get off the highway for some reason. Only to find a completely different line of traffic, moving 10mph (or more) slower, when I got back on the highway. That and picking what place to stop at it. Some exits advertise gas & food but if you stop you find that it's 5-10 minutes of driving to find where those places actually are.

We have a 3.5 hour drive we routinely take, and we try not to stop at all on it. Else it turns into 4+ hours.

That said, it truly isn't a bad idea to stop every 5 hours or so. For all the reasons stated. But it's way nicer to stop because the driver wants to stop, and not because the car needs gas.
I guess it depends on the situation. I live and commute in the big city. I fill up every Monday after work, most of the time it's over 400 miles but my commuting mpg is only 26 mpg or so, so the tank is quite low.

Out on the highway with our Camry's, they'll get over 600 miles on a tank. They supposedly have a 18.5 gallon tank and I wasn't sure if I believed it. But I have filled it with 18.283 gallons so I know it's real.

In the OP's situation I don't see it as that big of a deal, he's trying to get to his destination but if he fills up 50 miles before, he'll have a full tank of gas while he's there and not be on fumes.

I was so peeved on our last long trip, we had stopped for early lunch, filled up; and then late afternoon was in a great pack of traffic, making great time. Problem was: I was in my Tundra. 20 gallons goes by real fast at 16mpg. We had ripped off like 5 hours but everyone was busy on their iDevices, sleeping or otherwise sitting back; I was enjoying the scenery and the pace. No need to stop, 'cept the fuel light was on, and I didn't know how often stations would be.

Filled up, got on, and all the good traffic was gone.
frown.gif

Chevy is supposed to have a diesel equinox coming out. (a 2018 model in 2017?)

That should easily go 500miles.

The tank on the Subaru outback is 18.5 gallons versus 15.9 on the forrester. That should be good for 550 miles or so

Also - I don't know if it's true for anyone else, but driving is so relaxing for me that I end up drowsing off after 100 miles or so.

If I'm running across NY state on the Thruway I'll usually stop at every other rest area and just do a quick walk around the parking lot to keep the blood flowing and so I don't fall asleep driving.

I've only had a few times I've felt drowsy while driving. Usually it's just not an issue, not unless if I'm overly tired.

Great time to daydream. So many things I could mull over.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Also - I don't know if it's true for anyone else, but driving is so relaxing for me that I end up drowsing off after 100 miles or so.

Yup, that happens to me when driving really boring vehicles.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back