0W-20 vs. 5W-30 - General Motors Warranty Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NH73
All a 1 person owner needs is warranty denied and would need to just suck it up or pay for legal service to sue and if the issue was oil related, will lose.

Has there even been one such case that any one here can document occurring in the last 10 years?

That is, a new car owner under warranty using API approved fluids, and no exceptional "abuse" applied to the car, using the recommended OCI intervals at the proper sump levels, being denied an engine repair/replacement under warranty failure because they were using an oil 1 grade higher than recommended by the mfg? And ideally, a 30 grade vs. a 20 grade.....Just one such example?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
with oil so dynamic as it ages, no court would hear the nonsense for long.

It's even dynamic from batch to batch when new. Might not be easy to tell apart some 20 grades from other 30 grades of the exact same brand oil right out of the bottle. And there are well built 20 grades out there with operating viscosity/HTHS that exceed typical 30 grades of popular oils. Does using those stout "20 grades" violate new warranties? It "should" by the logic presented earlier since they are essentially 30 grades.

right, silly, but again, as an auto owner with this new Honda platform and high miles I do ...I chose to err on the thick side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Monte32
Originally Posted By: NH73
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
When one looks past the average 1 pickup user to commercial fleets that run many of them with drivers who could really give a rip about maintenance and rack up some pretty significant miles in situations and conditions outside the normal single pickup owner, and do it while using something like a bulk 10w30 that they use for multiple vehicles in their fleet, that speaks a little better to the argument that there is no significant issue with using higher vis oils in engines that call for 20w. And I have yet to see a commercial operation doing this have their warranties denied.
That is because auto dealers will bend over backwards for fleet operators, then they will for the average 1 pickup owner person. Fleet operators are there bread and butter. One mechanic told me that one fleet owner signed a agreement with a chevy dealer that they could use 15w40 on a 5w30 spec truck and a 150000 mile warranty. So just because this is what the fleet guys do, you could do it too is not a good argument. All a 1 person owner needs is warranty denied and would need to just suck it up or pay for legal service to sue and if the issue was oil related, will lose.

I agree with tired trucker on this one. The politics don't matter as much as the results. Whether the auto dealers bend over backwards for the fleet operators is irrelevant. What I care more about is how many miles did those Silverados and F-150s rack up without incident while running a non-recommended grade?? Seems like it's already been almost universally established that the likelihood of having your warranty voided over an oil grade issue is extremely unlikely. So I'd just want to know what truly is the best oil to run.

Yep-until it happens to you........

I suppose that is true. But in over 40 years of personal and commercial vehicle ownership, I have yet to see a dealer or OEM even ask about the oil, let alone actually test it. They might want to know if oil services were done on schedule, but even then, they have never seemed to waste a lot of time over it. I have never heard first hand of a dealer or OEM flat out denying the warranty over this type of thing. Lot's of internet banter about how it could happen, but no real evidence that convinces me it is really has. I understand apprehension by some folks. An engine is a expensive proposition if they had to replace it on their own. Many of my engines are in the $30K range to replace. I don't lose a single minute of sleep that the oil I use is not on the OEM approved list on those expensive engines. And it isn't. Cumulatively, nearly 6 million miles and not a single dealer or OEM issue over oil.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I keep bringing up the fact that M1 5W20 was according to Mobil made without VII...it would therefore have been what redline is today, around 2.9HTHS.

And the fact was that 10W40 in the day was hopeless, and when they finally got HTHS into the system, the 10W40s got given a 2.9min...which supports Mobil offering the statement of same protection as a 10W40.

That, and the dino 10W40s of the day were woeful in shear stability as well....

That's madness for KV@100*C shears more than 30% in a mere 500 miles .....
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back