pennzoil add pack falling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have saw several clips on you tube reporting the add pack falling out of PP. Each one of these showed some crud in the bottom of the bottle after the oil was poured. Today I picked up a quart of PP 5W30 to see for myself. Sure enough there was something left behind in the bottom of the bottle. What gives? This is all over the internet and yet I cant find an answer from Pennzoil as to what this is?

Shake it? Or send a PM to the Pennzoil rep to ask, and link to this thread.

I have seen that with Pennzoil for a while now once you empty a jug look inside and you will sometimes see black soot some claim is fallout from the additives..Between that and the lack of the inner security seal on the jugs and some saying it is not what it used to be we don't buy it anymore and there are a lot of others that agree.

You don't see a lot of other quality oils that has that crud on the bottom of their jugs. Take some pictures and post them, i would but i don't buy Pennzoil anymore..

News to me. The only oil where I've seen deposits left behind was on some M1 15W-50...after it sat on the shelf in my garage for 20 yrs.

Some video's from 2010, 2014, and 2015. Don't see anything newer. If you let any oils sit long enough this will probably happen. Too bad we don't know what the date code on this oil was. Storing your oil in a place where it goes through numerous freezing and warming cycles could make a difference. Even the oil mfg's suggest the shelf life on their oils isn't more than approx 4 yrs. Yes, shake it up before use.

It's very disappointing for an oil that is held in such high regard. They put a lot of money into marketing, watching their commercials makes you believe their oil turns everything into a race car haha

I've had this same experience with my stash i built up. 😟 Every bottle (5L) even after a good 5 minute shake, i see black residue in the bottle.

I don't stash much anymore, and if i did, SOPUS wouldn't be on my list due to lack of foil seal and leakage. But i do believe it is an excellent product and am not concerned over a few bottles with additive fallout. Unless it proves to be something else.

There's a guy here running vintage Quaker State in his '73 240z.

Not sure if it was shaken before installation, but clearly, add pack fallout isn't an issue.

I've seen it with Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge too. Shake the oil before you use it. That's something I always do. The amount of residue, if any I've seen is always a tiny amount. I've seen it in ATF as well, Maxlife in gallons.

A couple of years ago, I found some Pennzoil type "F" transmission oil on sale and changed the tranny oil in my '71 Cougar. After dumping a few quarts through the funnel, I realized that there were deposits left in the bottom of each quart container. I just put a little oil back into each one and shook it and the deposits loosened up and got poured. I've always shook my oil after that incident.
I might blame Pennzoil for the problem, but this was type "F" oil and I'm not sure how long it sat on the shelf.

I shake my brake fluid very well before use.

I usually get some KC and the Sunshine going and do some double fistin'.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
A couple of years ago, I found some Pennzoil type "F" transmission oil on sale and changed the tranny oil in my '71 Cougar. After dumping a few quarts through the funnel, I realized that there were deposits left in the bottom of each quart container. I just put a little oil back into each one and shook it and the deposits loosened up and got poured. I've always shook my oil after that incident.
I might blame Pennzoil for the problem, but this was type "F" oil and I'm not sure how long it sat on the shelf.

That's what I do. Sometimes if I plan on doing an oil change over the weekend and have the oil sitting in the basement every time I go into the basement I give it a shake. If I see some residue I do exactly what you do.

You do not know what the residue is?? Just that occasionally there is some residue on the bottom of the container.

Since I sold my Jeep I am not using any Penzzoil oil now. Just NAPA in the Subaru and T6 in the Ford.
But thats mainly because I can get the NAPA synthetic for $2.99/QT.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've seen it with Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge too. Shake the oil before you use it. That's something I always do. The amount of residue, if any I've seen is always a tiny amount. I've seen it in ATF as well, Maxlife in gallons.

+1

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
ALWAYS shake the oil bottle before uncapping it. Doesn't matter if it's one quart or five quarts.

Ya pretty simple in reality

I'm nearly certain that the hard residue left behind in my 20 yr old M1 15w-50 was the add pack. What else would it be? There was a lot of it and it didn't dissolve back into solution or break up even after 5-10 minutes of vigorous shaking. I had to use a pointed metal rod to slowly break into it. Surprised at just how hard that was for a "chemical."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back